English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 01 May 2012, 20:05   #1
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE 1.3 Development Series

I kick off the 1.3 development series quite early this time, with a couple of new features, the most notable being support for OpenGL shaders for advanced effects (May 1st is a national holiday in Norway, so I had a bit of spare time ... ) .

EDIT: FS-UAE 1.3 is no longer the latest development series.

Changes in 1.3.0:
* Support XML shader spec 1.1.
* New scaling options (scale_x, scale_y, align_x, align_y), makes it possible to get 1:1 pixel mapping (or 1:2 etc) for your LCD display.
* Write OpenAL debug information to log file on startup.

I have created a separate thread for support and questions regarding the new shading and scaling system here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64137

If you are interested in having FS-UAE translated to your language, see: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64143

Download FS-UAE 1.3: http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/download-beta

As usual, updates to 1.3.x will be posted here, and please report any issues you encounter (also as usual ).

If you are interested in following the development, you can add a subscription to the thread so you get emails when new replies are posted.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 26 October 2012 at 20:55.
Old 02 May 2012, 16:45   #2
SvenP

Hi Frode,

what do you think about Input Action which will emulate permanent fire ?
Would be good for games like Apidya.

Thanks again for your great work !!!
I'm running now a Amiga 4000 on my iMac and it simply makes fun !!

Old 02 May 2012, 18:42   #3
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenP View Post
Hi Frode,

what do you think about Input Action which will emulate permanent fire ?
Would be good for games like Apidya.

Thanks again for your great work !!!
I'm running now a Amiga 4000 on my iMac and it simply makes fun !!
Hi, I'll try to get an autofire option implemented during the 1.3 series

In the meantime - FS-UAE 1.3.1:
* Added several common western european characters to bitmap font.
* Added German translation courtesy of EAB user nexusle.
* Added Italian translation courtesy of EAB user Speedvicio.
* Added French translation courtesy of EAB user Foul.
* Added some bundled (open-source) shaders: crt, curvature, scanline-3x, heavybloom, simplebloom, edge-detection, lanczos-6tap.
* The new "shader" option can now be used to both specify paths to external shader file, or it can name a bundled shader.
* Marked text in GUI menu entries for translation.
* Added internationalization infrastructure.

http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/download-beta
Old 02 May 2012, 18:54   #4
nexusle
Banned

Thaaaaanks!!!!!
Old 02 May 2012, 18:58   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Thaaaaanks!!!!!
You're welcome

Regarding shaders, the bundled shaders are activated like this:
Code:
shader = crt
or (program argument):
Code:
--shader=crt
Whereas external shaders are activated by setting the shader option to the path to the shader.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 02 May 2012 at 19:04.
Old 02 May 2012, 19:29   #6
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Hi Frode! "libintl-8.dll not found" error when starting FS-UAE (V1.3.1/Windows)
Old 02 May 2012, 19:49   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaOnline View Post
Hi Frode! "libintl-8.dll not found" error when starting FS-UAE (V1.3.1/Windows)
Fixed! I have replaced the Windows 1.3.1 zip file with an updated one with libintl and libiconv added (which are now dependencies due to internationalization).
Old 02 May 2012, 21:54   #8
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Fixed! I have replaced the Windows 1.3.1 zip file with an updated one with libintl and libiconv added (which are now dependencies due to internationalization).
Thx, it works better now
Old 03 May 2012, 00:03   #9
FaustXXX

Hmm... maybe it's silly, but after changes in shortcut - what combination release mouse? grab_input works only at first time. When mouse is catch by program, i can't ungrab by shortcut (I tried F11 combination, as wrote in readme - it dosen't work:P)

Another two question:
1) Are U planning support for .zip
2) Could U make a screenshots after modyfication by shader?

Old 03 May 2012, 00:38   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustXXX View Post
Hmm... maybe it's silly, but after changes in shortcut - what combination release mouse? grab_input works only at first time. When mouse is catch by program, i can't ungrab by shortcut (I tried F11 combination, as wrote in readme - it dosen't work:P)
Problem is outdated README (will update). Shift+F12 or middle mouse click (or even alt+tab) will release input grab.

Quote:
Another two question:
1) Are U planning support for .zip
There is support for .zip...

Quote:
2) Could U make a screenshots after modyfication by shader?
Not currently, but it is possible to download the rendered framebuffered from the GPU. I'll add it to the wishlist. Currently, you must use the OS screenshot functionality to capture the end result (if possible), must probably release input grab first for the Print Screen key to be handled by the OS.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 03 May 2012 at 00:45.
Old 03 May 2012, 21:50   #11
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Version 1.3.2
  • Fixed crash on Mac when saving state with mounted folder.
  • New option “zoom” to set the initial zoom mode (“F11 mode”).
  • New eject menu option for floppies (CD coming later).
  • Fixed bug where a wrong disk was disabled (when inserted) in the floppy image list.
  • New boolean option “localization” can be set to 0 if you want to disable translations.
  • Updated translations: it.
  • Added Polish characters to the bitmap font.
  • Added Polish translation (courtesy of EAB user olesio).
  • Extend the simple bitmap font format to include the first 512 unicode characters.
  • Bundled additional shaders: hq2x, scale2x (best with line_doubling=0 and/or low_resolution=1, depending on actual game resolution).
  • New options boolean options “low_resolution”, and “line_doubling” to force low-res low-res pixels and disable line doubling) (F11 zoom modes and aspect correction does not work properly in combination with these yet).
Old 04 May 2012, 02:31   #12
Speedvicio

There are two small bug:
- "it" language file is not update
- Bilinear filter is enabled by default?
- if line_doubling or low_resolution is not enabled the video output is crushed
Old 04 May 2012, 18:09   #13
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedvicio View Post
There are two small bug:
- "it" language file is not update
If you used the source distribution, did you run make install to install the mo files?

Quote:
- Bilinear filter is enabled by default?
Yes, and it always has been! Of course, it is much more noticable when low resolution is forced as the pixels will be smeared out quite a lot. But with pixel/line doubling, bilinear filtering is much better than nearest neighbor, unless the output is an integer multiple of the input image.

The point of forcing low-res is to combine it with filters which scales the pixels up again, such as hq2x, scale2x, etc.

Quote:
- if line_doubling or low_resolution is not enabled the video output is crushed
Yes it is : "F11 zoom modes and aspect correction does not work properly in combination with these yet"
Old 05 May 2012, 17:40   #14
ljones

Hello all!

FS-Uae looks like an intresting emulator, have only just found about it really! Before then I was still using e-uae. However I did come across one problem.

Not sure if this is a bug at all or if it just some weirdness ony my system .... admittadely I did use fs-gui in conjunction with fs-uae (I used the development fs-uae 1.3.2). For some reason copying via the workbench dosen't seem to work quite right if using a folder as a hard disk. Here's the procedure that I tried (there were no problems with using a hard file instead of a folder). Done on linux 64-bit slackware 13.37 using fs-uae/fs-gui and kickstart/workbench 1.3;

1. Created on my pc in linux (as *non* root) a directory called "test1" (which is completely empty). Have fs-uae and fs-gui already installed and working.
2. Chose from fs-gui/hard disk "Enable hard disk" and then "Use folder instead of file". Chose test1 as the folder to use.
3. Chose start from fs-gui and then started the emulator.
4. Let WB1.3 boot up then dragged the "empty" drawer from Workbench 1.3 to the emulated hard drive to copy it across (using a folder instead of a file), shows up by default as "noname" on my system.
5. Opened the WB1.3 utilities drawer and copied across "clock" in the same fashion.
6. Closed the WB1.3 windows (leaving only the emulated hard drive "noname').
7. Both clock and the empty drawer work ok (complete with their icons).
8. Hit 12 and chose reset/soft reset.
9. Rebooted from WB1.3 disk.
10. Opened "noname" however clock and empty drawer are missing!
11. Opened amiga shell and typed "info" to find the emulated hard drive's real name (in this case dh0).
12. Typed dir dh0: from the shell, the clock and empty files are all there including their .info files.
13. Coped those files to the ram disk ( copy dh0: all ram: ) . Opened ram disk, both the empty drawer and clock show up, work ok, etc.
14. Checked in linux the "test1" directory I created earlier, the files are there ok.

Really strange as the same behaviour dosen't seem to exist if using a hard drive file as opposed to a folder (directory). If I copy across by dragging the icons still show up after a reboot.

ljones

Old 05 May 2012, 17:50   #15
nexusle
Banned

Hi Frode,

in version 1.3.2 i have the native-fullscreen-crash problem again. :-(

With lower screenmodes FS-UAE doesn't crash
Old 05 May 2012, 23:37   #16
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones View Post
FS-Uae looks like an intresting emulator, have only just found about it really! Before then I was still using e-uae. However I did come across one problem.

Not sure if this is a bug at all or if it just some weirdness ony my system .... admittadely I did use fs-gui in conjunction with fs-uae (I used the development fs-uae 1.3.2). For some reason copying via the workbench dosen't seem to work quite right if using a folder as a hard disk. Here's the procedure that I tried (there were no problems with using a hard file instead of a folder). Done on linux 64-bit slackware 13.37 using fs-uae/fs-gui and kickstart/workbench 1.3; [...] Really strange as the same behaviour dosen't seem to exist if using a hard drive file as opposed to a folder (directory). If I copy across by dragging the icons still show up after a reboot.
Hi, It is not strange that mounted directories / hard drive files can behave differently, as it is completely different code handling the two cases. I will try to see if I can reproduce the problem by following your steps. Very nice bug report by the way. Such steps-to-reproduce error reports are very welcome
Old 06 May 2012, 02:19   #17
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
[...]
10. Opened "noname" however clock and empty drawer are missing!
ljones
Hi, I have found the problem. WB 1.3 caches icon information in a file called ".info" (or so it seems), and this was is not properly updated by WB 1.3 running in FS-UAE. Deleting the .info file will "fix" the problem by forcing WB to regenerate the file from the directory contents.

Anyway, the real problem was the that file date/time was not read properly. Date/time was always initialized to the same value for all files from mounted folders (actually implemented earlier as a quick fix for net play compatibility), and this in turn caused WB to not update .info. I have implemented reading date/time from host files properly now, so this will be fixed in 1.3.3
Old 07 May 2012, 01:08   #18
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
FS-Uae looks like an intresting emulator, have only just found about it really! Before then I was still using e-uae. However I did come across one problem. [...] however clock and empty drawer are missing!
ljones
Try the new...

Version 1.3.3
  • Use local host file time for file time with mounted virtual hard drives, should fix icon visibility problem with WB 1.3 and mounted directories.
  • Included genblitter patch from Mustafa ‘GnoStiC’ TUFAN.
  • Build x86_64 version on x86_64 Mac unless arch=i386 arg is given to Makefile.
  • Added Serbian translation (courtesy of EAB user Milanchez).
  • Updated translations: fr, de.
  • Fixed missing translation of KEYBOARD and MOUSE in one setting.
  • Replace RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (U+2019) with apostrophe when rendering text with bitmap font.
  • Updated viewport hack for standard Workbench 2.04 screen
  • Cleaned up source code to make diffs against WinUAE shorter and cleaner,
  • FS-UAE-specific code is now properly guarded by ifdefs.
  • Show a notice when using F11 key in RTG mode.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 07 May 2012 at 01:39.
Old 07 May 2012, 10:46   #19
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
installed, and effectively, if i click F11 in RTG screen, it show "Zoom désactivé en mode RTG"

Nothing important, but the word "ZOOM" seem to be writted "2OOM" ..i think the "2" and "Z" font look very similar ...

Looks better with Topaz font

Another thing: when capturing with "print screen" key .. backdrop is saved but not the "notice" in front

Last edited by Foul; 07 May 2012 at 11:00.
Old 07 May 2012, 12:13   #20
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
installed, and effectively, if i click F11 in RTG screen, it show "Zoom désactivé en mode RTG". Nothing important, but the word "ZOOM" seem to be writted "2OOM" ..i think the "2" and "Z" font look very similar ...
Agreed, the Z does not look good Will draw a proper Z shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
Another thing: when capturing with "print screen" key .. backdrop is saved but not the "notice" in front
Yes, this is by design. It designed the screenshot function to capture the Amiga frame, not the host screen framebuffer (so you won't see the menu or perspective effect either). It is also not stretched, cropped or filtered. The point was extract Amiga screenshots, not FS-UAE screenshots

I had another request to to "real" screenshots as well, perhaps I will have both functions (Print Scrn and Shift+Print Scrn for instance).