English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 27 July 2017, 14:02   #61
drHirudo
Amiga user
drHirudo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sofia / Bulgaria
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Just make whatever you feel like. It is important to work on something which gets you excited. If it is not fun, you will quickly abandon further development. It is better to have something made for an exclusive platform than to not have anything done at all.

Some people like to develop software for even more ancient machines which might only exist in running versions 1-2 places in the world. Yes the business plan is horrible on such projects, but who cares if you're having fun and you're learning something while doing it?

If you would like to make something that benefits from the new 68080 instructions then do that and ignore what anyone else thinks. No matter what you do there will always be people who think it would be better if you worked on something else.
Hell yea. Last programming I made was for Apple III and I am not sure if anyone played the game except me, but it was fun doing it. So it was quite enjoyable project for me.
drHirudo is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 July 2017, 14:50   #62
Sinphaltimus
Registered User

Sinphaltimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cresco, PA, USA
Age: 47
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Just make whatever you feel like. It is important to work on something which gets you excited. If it is not fun, you will quickly abandon further development. It is better to have something made for an exclusive platform than to not have anything done at all.

Some people like to develop software for even more ancient machines which might only exist in running versions 1-2 places in the world. Yes the business plan is horrible on such projects, but who cares if you're having fun and you're learning something while doing it?

If you would like to make something that benefits from the new 68080 instructions then do that and ignore what anyone else thinks. No matter what you do there will always be people who think it would be better if you worked on something else.

Agreed -
Sinphaltimus is offline  
Old 27 July 2017, 18:50   #63
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Old_Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I guess it could do things like these

[ Show youtube player ]
Would a Vampire board be necessary to do Command & Conquer? I haven't actually played any version of it, but watching this, admittedly short, little gameplay vid, it doesn't strike me as something an A1200 with a reasonably nippy '030 and bit of Fast RAM would have too much trouble with?

B
Old_Bob is offline  
Old 27 July 2017, 19:12   #64
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Samurai_Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft. Collins, CO USA
Age: 42
Posts: 871
Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bob View Post
Would a Vampire board be necessary to do Command & Conquer? I haven't actually played any version of it, but watching this, admittedly short, little gameplay vid, it doesn't strike me as something an A1200 with a reasonably nippy '030 and bit of Fast RAM would have too much trouble with?

B
Vampire could definitely do better graphics than C&C if we used YUV mode. Modifications to the Y component would allow lighting effects too.
Samurai_Crow is offline  
Old 28 July 2017, 02:58   #65
grelbfarlk
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bob View Post
Would a Vampire board be necessary to do Command & Conquer? I haven't actually played any version of it, but watching this, admittedly short, little gameplay vid, it doesn't strike me as something an A1200 with a reasonably nippy '030 and bit of Fast RAM would have too much trouble with?

B
There is a Command & Conquer Red Alert port for 68k already.

http://aminet.net/package/game/strat...alert-r600-68k

Supposedly it runs ok on 060, not great, I'd blame the port for that more than anything. Games like Napalm run ok on an 040 which is about as detailed as Command & Conquer Red Alert.
grelbfarlk is offline  
Old 28 July 2017, 03:37   #66
rare_j
Zone Friend

rare_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 729
How about a port of the open source cave story engine.
Is there anybody who didn't enjoy that game?
rare_j is offline  
Old 28 July 2017, 12:28   #67
idrougge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 2,981
SpotUP already ported Cave Story to OS4.
idrougge is offline  
Old 28 July 2017, 12:58   #68
Sinphaltimus
Registered User

Sinphaltimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cresco, PA, USA
Age: 47
Posts: 636
Yeah but... can it play Crysis?

**ducks and covers**
Sinphaltimus is offline  
Old 28 July 2017, 23:42   #69
rare_j
Zone Friend

rare_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
SpotUP already ported Cave Story to OS4.
I didn't know that OS4 runs on a vampire.
rare_j is offline  
Old 29 July 2017, 01:48   #70
grelbfarlk
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 644
I think GemRB (open source version Baldur's Gate) would be a good port to do, something with replayability and multiplayer possibilities. And if you've never played it a nice beefy RPG with 100+ hours of gameplay would keep owners occupied for quite a long time.
grelbfarlk is offline  
Old 29 July 2017, 14:19   #71
idrougge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
I didn't know that OS4 runs on a vampire.
I didn't know it was that hard to read between the lines. Let me spell it out for you:

Spot has done the groundwork for a Vampire port by eliminating endianness problems and implementing basic AmigaOS support.

Mind you, it is probably still reliant on SDL, so what the Vampire would need is an up-to-date SDL (SDL2?) port.
idrougge is offline  
Old 29 July 2017, 15:38   #72
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Samurai_Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft. Collins, CO USA
Age: 42
Posts: 871
Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
SDL 2 depends on 3D acceleration.
Samurai_Crow is offline  
Old 23 August 2017, 11:27   #73
arti
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
How about a port of the open source cave story engine.
Is there anybody who didn't enjoy that game?
There you go

[ Show youtube player ]

https://artishq.wordpress.com/
arti is offline  
Old 23 August 2017, 18:54   #74
grond
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by arti View Post
There you go

[ Show youtube player ]

https://artishq.wordpress.com/
Great! Now go for the next suggestion, GemRB. Please!!!
grond is offline  
Old 26 August 2017, 06:36   #75
Steril707
OCS rocks!

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Munich/Germany
Posts: 168
I think what I really want to see with the Vampire is ports ports ports of stuff that was previously only possible on other platforms.
Cannonball Engine or Cave Story are good examples.

Also getting emulators like MAME more up to date.

For original Amiga development, I'd keep to OCS and AGA. I wouldn't want to limit the audience for just going the Vampire route, and the amount of assets you would need to do the Vampire justice is out of scope anyway for most normal devs here.
Steril707 is offline  
Old 26 August 2017, 18:21   #76
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 17,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I think what I really want to see with the Vampire is ports ports ports of stuff that was previously only possible on other platforms.


But why? Turning the Amiga into "just another machine" seems to go against its essence.
Akira is offline  
Old 27 August 2017, 22:20   #77
Steril707
OCS rocks!

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Munich/Germany
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
But why? Turning the Amiga into "just another machine" seems to go against its essence.
Well, that's another discussion.

I think for keeping it "real" to its essence, do OCS/ECS/AGA games.
Vampire is for more modern uses.

Most people in the Amiga community already struggle with creating assets for AGA, or even OCS.
I think that won't be getting easier if you have RTG capabilities at hand.
Steril707 is offline  
Old 29 August 2017, 10:33   #78
zero
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 110
I agree with Akira... The only point, for me, of writing Amiga software is to deal with the interesting architecture. Otherwise I might as well just write PC software.
zero is offline  
Old 29 August 2017, 11:34   #79
meynaf
68k wisdom
meynaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lyon (France)
Age: 44
Posts: 2,370
Same here. Turning the Amiga into a PC is missing the point.
meynaf is offline  
Old 29 August 2017, 12:10   #80
alpine9000
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 348
Isn't the main game people play on Vampires called "SysInfo" or something? I see people posting screenshots of their hi-scores on Facebook all the time.
alpine9000 is online now  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vampire V2 - what should i be using it for...? RobA1200 Amiga scene 238 17 July 2017 21:36
Vampire x2 600 drusso66 support.Hardware 11 26 March 2017 10:18
Request RTG HDMI Vampire Demos and Games Overflow support.Demos 3 07 August 2016 11:03
Vampire II - Who is first? JackLeather support.Hardware 2 26 January 2016 13:56
A600 Vampire 2 games update kipper2k support.Games 36 20 December 2015 18:41

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.25401 seconds with 12 queries