English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 06 May 2017, 19:48   #1
Pyromania

DiscreetFX Releases Amiga Video Toaster/Flyer Documentation

Toni has done some amazing things emulating famous Amiga hardware in WinUAE. To hopefully help this effort as far as the Amiga Video Toaster/Flyer goes DiscreetFX found some additional developer documentation after much searching and have added it to the Open Video Toaster site.

To assist the emulation/virtual machine Amiga market.

http://www.discreetfx.com/openvideotoaster.html

Direct Link

http://www.discreetfx.com/DeveloperManuals.html
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 May 2017, 20:21   #2
emufan

thank you
Old 06 May 2017, 22:53   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It looks good enough. Strangely this makes it look simpler (to emulate at least) than the patent description (which apparently was analog level description which is not really needed in emulation after all), it is "just" a multichannel per-pixel mixer

It seems to be sort of next generation version of OpalVision which also can do per-pixel internal VRAM/Amiga output selection.

Missing information:

Diagram mentions MUX A and B select signals AM0-2, AM3 and BM0-2, BM3 (and FCMUX CDS0-2). Where do these come from? Does this use CDAC signal which is also not very well documented. Something latches something.. I assume these are "slow" signals that can be only changed once per line or per field? EDIT: Is there some RGBI control word at the beginning of each scan line that loads those bits? (Document mentions ~63us update speed)

LUMKEY clip level? Is it programmable too? (EDIT: LKA0-5 and LKB0-5)

QUAD/F "certain legal range"? How useful..

EDIT2: They are defined in switcher/elh.i ("Video Toaster Extended Line Header")

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 07 May 2017 at 14:12.
Old 09 May 2017, 01:50   #4
Pyromania

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your questions Toni. If I knew them I would tell you.
Old 09 May 2017, 17:08   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is all in sources. It would be nice if someone would "decode" the RGBI line encoding from the sources.
Old 11 May 2017, 06:16   #6
Pyromania

What would the have to be done to decode the RGBI line encoding. How is that done?
Old 12 May 2017, 20:10   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

As I said, check the source and see how it converts commands to colors. It does not require any special skills, it is just boring..

(I'll ignore AGA to keep this simpler)

Amiga video port (and video slot) has digital video out, red, green, blue and intensity pins (these are separate from analog RGB pins). R/G/B bits are set if color's high bit is set. For some reason I is lowest blue bit. This makes 4 bits of data per hires pixel. (~3000 bits per scan line)

These 4 bits are the only signals that Toaster sees, all commands are encoded in these 4 bits. This encoding needs to be reverse engineered.

There probably are two "modes": mode that sends "fast" data to MUX (the one at the middle of diagram), this needs to be 70ns = pixel perfect, all the "bandwidth" is used for FADER control. Then there has to be some kind of "slow" mode which is used to send LKA0-5, LKB0-5, CDS0-2 etc..

Is there soms special line(s) reserved for "slow" control bits or is there some marker bit(s) at the beginning of each (or at the end) scan line that tells Toaster if data is DIGBR/DIB/DG or if it is control data that needs to be extracted from RGBI lines. Can same scan line have both data?

And so on..

EDIT: Also what is parallel port +D2 out?

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 13 May 2017 at 21:09.
Old 14 May 2017, 19:27   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

switcher.a "VTSetUp: ;VTSetUp Structure" describes commands ("extended line headers"). Command appears to be 16-bits (8 bits of R and 8 bits of G or 8 bits of B and 8-bits of I), command id + data.

How does Toaster know when RGBI is "ELH" command or when it is only supposed to be fed to MUX C's DIGBR, not parsed as "ELH" command. (DIBGR data can have same bit pattern as "ELH" VTI_Ex header type)

Something is still missing..
AdSense AdSense