English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 18 August 2016, 10:51   #61
Dunny

Mods are out already - that fix things like resolution/scaling issues and the awful interface issues (primarily the hold-to-select issue that plagues mouse users).

I've installed both - got it running at 1920x1024 with full detail now, and it's still a fantastic game, though the ship controls in atmospheric flight are still bloody awful. Yet I'm still putting in four or five hours a day and have jumped to a new system twice. There's an enormous amount of exploration and discovery to do, and the survival aspect gets quite intense on hostile planets.

All in all, it's everything I hoped it would be and the lack of multiplayer is the icing on the cake for me
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 August 2016, 14:12   #62
BarryB
Amigaholic

So once again the 'community' is having to fix another game because the devs can't be arsed!! Seems this is still Early Access/In Dev and should never have been released
Old 18 August 2016, 14:16   #63
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
So once again the 'community' is having to fix another game because the devs can't be arsed!! Seems this is still Early Access/In Dev and should never have been released
Aren't alot of games nowdays Us older folk laugh at these 'beta' releases, but it seems nowadays youngsters are willing to pay to play buggy builds first! crazy, but its a changing gaming landscape.
Old 18 August 2016, 14:49   #64
ptyerman

I was willing to give it a try and purchased it on the promised end result, big mistake. Straight away on the day of release it was obvious it was completely flawed and a big pile of poop! After reading a few reviews and seeing the forum outcry everywhere I decided to apply for a refund. That's happened so I'm happy.
It ought to be renamed to Every Man's Flop though!
Old 18 August 2016, 18:57   #65
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Aren't alot of games nowdays Us older folk laugh at these 'beta' releases, but it seems nowadays youngsters are willing to pay to play buggy builds first! crazy, but its a changing gaming landscape.
In IBM PC land its nothing new, back in the Dos and early Windows/DirectX days it was a pure gamble if a game would work properly. And if it didn't it was a bigger gamble if there would ever come a patch.

Nowadays the instability has shifted. You get a broken game like No Man's Sky - and the nVidia drivers that fix performance issues specifically with that game. W-T-F. If I wasn't into small scale indie titles I would seriously ask myself why I still game on a PC.
Old 19 August 2016, 00:49   #66
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
If I wasn't into small scale indie titles I would
seriously ask myself why I still game on a PC.
Because LORD GABEN that is why
Old 19 August 2016, 13:34   #67
Dunny

And the official patch was released last night - no need for the mods anymore.
Old 19 August 2016, 14:04   #68
BarryB
Amigaholic

Is it an 'Early Access\In Dev' patch?
Old 19 August 2016, 16:45   #69
Dunny

Apparently it just fixes the compatibility issues that people have been experiencing; resolutions are no longer upscaled from 720p, No more CTD, Fixed the UI handling where you had to click-and-hold to select things left over from the PS4 UI. The UI is actually quite nice to use now (as far as it goes) whereas it was horrible previously.

No new content though AFAICS.

There's been some interesting finds when disassembling the packed file structure of the game - basically everything from the original demos shown is in there, but deactivated. Seems that they did indeed dumb it down for the PS4 release - whether or not they're going to put things back how they were remains to be seen, but as Sony don't have any control over the game now that the PS4 exclusive period has expired, there's no reason not to.

We shall see. I'm cautiously optimistic - the game is excellent fun and for the right mind-set it's an absolute blast (space combat is actually fun when you get the framerate up >50fps) but it could have been a lot better had Sony not gotten involved (IMO).
Old 19 August 2016, 19:50   #70
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah I'll definitely get it - once its 30 euros or less.
Old 19 August 2016, 20:24   #71
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah I'll definitely get it - once its 30 euros or less.
30?!

IMHO no game is worth that much...

20 and I get it... with couple other games, of course....
Old 19 August 2016, 23:53   #72
BarryB
Amigaholic

So why does NMS cost the same as GTA V? Indie title, 20 devs compared to AAA title, well over 1,000 devs?
Old 20 August 2016, 07:30   #73
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
So why does NMS cost the same as GTA V? Indie title, 20 devs compared to AAA title, well over 1,000 devs?
Probably because Sony got involved. Most of the games problems seem to be because of quick conversion to console to suit Sony, price too I suspect!
Really shouldn't be that price for what amounts to a tech demo.
Old 20 August 2016, 10:22   #74
Dunny

Well, I've spent far more time in NMS than I have GTA V, so I'd say it's money well spent. I upgraded the ship (for more inventory slots) and upgraded the weapons quite heavily and am now mucking about in massive space battles...

Before I have to go mine for resources again, natch
Old 20 August 2016, 12:42   #75
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
I was willing to give it a try and purchased it on the promised end result, big mistake.
Surely the big mistake is you reading other peoples opinions and taking them as read (and lets be fair here, this isn't Arkham Knight levels of negativity it was 48% potisive, 52% negative) rather than actually trying the game yourself and forming your own opinion?

Anyway, seems they corrected the issues, and you get to bitch on the internet about a game you haven't even played. I guess everyone's a winner huh.
Old 20 August 2016, 12:59   #76
BarryB
Amigaholic

@Dunny: Fair comment, it's a new game, different, but from all the gameplay vids highly repetitive which didn't appeal that much to me! However, I played games like Outcast that had a similar resource mechanic, find resources to manufacture ammo for your weapons but NMS didn't spark any interest?

Mind you, Procedurally Generated Content (like repetitive gameplay) is not new either, the Amiga used it for some games like: Archipelagos, Elite, Frontier: Elite II, Federation Of Free Traders, Murder, Seven Cities Of Gold, Starflight, Starflight II and The Sentinel, so not anything to get hyped about, it's been done before people

@Ian: 48% positive, 52% negative, sounds just like the Brexit vote
Old 20 August 2016, 13:08   #77
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Surely the big mistake is you reading other peoples opinions and taking them as read (and lets be fair here, this isn't Arkham Knight levels of negativity it was 48% potisive, 52% negative) rather than actually trying the game yourself and forming your own opinion?

Anyway, seems they corrected the issues, and you get to bitch on the internet about a game you haven't even played. I guess everyone's a winner huh.
And who asked for your opinion? I certainly didn't. You know nothing at all of my reasons, instead you just wobble your gob off!
I gave it a chance and pre purchased it, it failed so I got a refund, nothing new, nothing groundbreaking!
I don't answer to people like you, but I do know what I like and what I won't like, I knew straight away I wouldn't like this after the promised features failed to appear, they still haven't appeared now after numerous patches and it's doubtful if they will or not.
Now go back in your hole!
Old 20 August 2016, 13:15   #78
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

If you put something on the internet you are inviting other people's opinions, especially on a forum or is the concept beyond you bright spark?

Not that it matters to me, but surely to give something a chance you should really play it. But I guess you're one of those people that buys an iPhone because everyone else tells you there great.

Please list the 'promised features' that haven't appeared.
Old 20 August 2016, 19:46   #79
BarryB
Amigaholic

OOOH!! Me grabs popcorn, it's Fight Night
Old 21 August 2016, 00:38   #80
Dunny

@BarryB - I suspect that NMS is very much a marmite experience. People are either sparked into massive interest, or they're not. This was a problem prior to release because HG did absolutely nothing to quell the enormous fan hype that was going on (and to be fair supplied a few hints of their own which drove it to >9,000) and that bit them in the arse when it was released in the state it was in.

Post release people can now see exactly what they're getting (in the early game at least - we cannot rule out the amazing scenes from the demos actually being available in game much later on with enough luck to actually find them) and can make up their minds. Most of the negative reviews were either due to hardware issues - min specs of a core i3 didn't stop people buying it for their Phenom-based CPUs - or due to bugs and unfulfilled dreams.

I was lucky - it runs quite well on my macbook pro, and is very enjoyable indeed.

Oh, and procedural landscape generation was done in a Spectrum game (Explorer - a whole 2 million locations to visit in 48k..) and I believe in Fractalus on the '64.

But on the whole I prefer NMS to those two.
AdSense AdSense