English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 14 July 2016, 13:57   #1
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

No Man's Sky - will it flop??

It seems many are hopping for flop with this title announced for PS4 and PC, and yet moved again to be released in less then a month.

Firstly, I had no idea that only 20 indie devs are working on it, which does question quality and somewhat questionable decisions into account, but can also turn into something great, as many indie games did before. Still, team of 20 is not that questionable as number of promised planets - 18 quintillion (that would be 1 followed by 18 zeroes - to count a single number per second, would take you about 57 million years )) and all of that just in 6GB?! Not to mention all live forms and everything else in game...

I agree with some articles, that there has been some misscounception regarding what the game is all about... and we have few more weeks to find out... if you will to pay 60 bucks for an indie game...

What you guys think??

http://www.designntrend.com/articles...se-failure.htm
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 July 2016, 14:52   #2
ptyerman

I hope it doesn't flop because I already purchased it from Good Old Games, it's just waiting on the release before it hits my download folder.
I have seen a couple of things I'm not happy about since I bought it, one of which is you have to hit preset waypoints before you can save the game, that really sucks balls and got me wondering what I had thrown money away on. I'll see how that works when its released.
Saying that, I also backed Elite Dangerous right at the start and that turned out to be a complete steaming pile of (expletive here), so I'm getting quite good at backing stuff that turns out to be crap!
Old 14 July 2016, 16:21   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I did not backed Elite, nor planning to backing up this game, for simple reason - I am cheap and I am try to buy discounted games. So, just 2 weeks ago I finally got Elite with Horizon pass and Commander pack.

I do like game, but I can see how it can be much better... will see what this will turn into... And TBH, I would be happy with smaller private universe, but don't mind connecting to Elite Public server either.

I have to say, No Man's Sky does look interesting... but even after watching videos more than once, I still don't see how this will work out... will wait and see reviews...
Old 14 July 2016, 19:43   #4
haps
Rumpig

Hadn't seen this one before, looks like something I could enjoy if they can manage to pull it off. Will be a hard ask though
Old 14 July 2016, 20:08   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I'm eagerly awaiting to see it on Twitch I can respect that what the game is all about is kept a secret given how most games are ruined a year ahead of time nowadays, but in this case... if I can't see if this game is going to entertain me long enough its worth 60 bucks, then I don't care about it.
Old 14 July 2016, 22:53   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

20 devs? So that's 19 for the PS4 and 1 to do the crappy PC port to make the PS4 look great. Simply can't see how it will fail with all the blinkered PC gamers blindly buying downgraded PC ports, an absolute winner for them!
Old 15 July 2016, 02:28   #7
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
20 devs? So that's 19 for the PS4 and 1 to do the crappy PC port to make the PS4 look great. Simply can't see how it will fail with all the blinkered PC gamers blindly buying downgraded PC ports, an absolute winner for them!
...It was written for PC first, then Sony's licensing deal required that the port to PS4 would be released first. HG bargained them down so PC+PS4 release at the same time.
Old 15 July 2016, 07:09   #8
ptyerman

Seems like BarryB needs to read and research things before making derogatory comments! Even so, there's still no guarantee it won't fail, not long to go to find out now. I'll be hitting my GOG download box on release day.
Old 15 July 2016, 11:02   #9
Dunny

I have to admit, I've been excited about this since I saw the first gameplay videos I was hooked - mostly by the graphical style. It's like all those 60s sci-fi novels' book covers came to life.

I'm a huge fan of Elite and other procedural world games (Explorer, Minecraft etc) so this is going to be right up my street. Even if the gameplay is crap, I'm going to get my money's worth drinking in the visuals

...And that awesome sountrack.
Old 15 July 2016, 14:09   #10
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

There is a new explore trailer for PS4: [ Show youtube player ]

Makes me wonder if monoliths seen in video are something similar to monolith from Space Odyssey 2001.

I agree with Dunny, so far video really do remind me of old sci-fi novels' book covers.

Some nice sites....

If I get this game, it will be most likely just for its sights... I love real day/night rotation in Elite...

Last edited by Anubis; 15 July 2016 at 14:28.
Old 16 July 2016, 01:54   #11
jmmijo

I think the game will FLIP
Old 04 August 2016, 23:24   #12
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Seems like BarryB needs to read and research things before making derogatory comments! Even so, there's still no guarantee it won't fail, not long to go to find out now. I'll be hitting my GOG download box on release day.
That's just how PC gaming is today mate, just take a look at this video:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 August 2016, 01:32   #13
Dunny

Indeed, Ubisoft (and others) are tragically guilty of this sort of thing - but it's always been that way; trailers are pre-rendered or network rendered with way more power than the PC can provide at the time.

This is an indie studio though, and so far the graphics in the leaked gameplay videos floating around have been almost identical - barring UI changes - to the trailers and teaser videos.

Still, we'll find out next friday won't we?
Old 05 August 2016, 08:14   #14
ptyerman

I won't touch anything by Ubisoft or Electronic Arts no matter how popular or publicised the game is. I won't support them or their tactics.
No game or software is worth throwing your morals or digital freedom out for! I'm still surprised people put up with Ubisoft's protection schemes in the first place. Diabolical and uncalled for!
Electronic Arts were crap during the Amiga's heyday and got even worse over the years, more folk should vote with their wallet, that's the only way these scumbags will ever change.
One day after my birthday No Man's Sky is due for release, hopefully it will be a nice present and not a bitter taste!
Old 05 August 2016, 10:26   #15
Dunny

I suppose the real trick here would be not to expect too much. Sure, it's been hyped to feck, but this is an indie dev without a great deal of experience with really big games. If there's any actual game besides "explore" then I'll be happy.

Looks like there's a considerable amount of crafting and hunting down materials for such, which isn't always a good recipe for success (Minecraft/Terraria seem to be the only games that have really got that right; FallOut 4 failed hard in that regard).

Only a week left now for us Brits...
Old 05 August 2016, 18:42   #16
BarryB
Amigaholic

The problem with these type of 'over hyped' game releases is they focus on eye candy, no one's actually seen much gameplay or what the hell you're supposed to do other than a few scraps of info like discover planets, mine/trade/steal/buy fuel, be able to name planets, join factions! What's the point of having over 18 Quintillion planets if 99.9% of them you'll never discover so you'll never know if they are really there or if the publishers/devs are just using that as sales hype?

Any savvy gamer just won't pony up front their cash based on sketchy info and some static pics and the trailer which hardly shows the game actually being 'played' just cherry picked scenes. Coupled with the fact the leaked copy hasn't been plain sailing with reported bugs and other issues plus there is a 'pre-launch patch' supposedly in the works which begs the question if it hadn't been leaked and bugs/issues found would you have had a pre-launch patch? One store in New York is already selling the game ahead of launch, is that so reviewers can warn gamers before launch

And, No Man's Sky, are you 'The Witness' in disguise as graphically it reminds me of playing that game?

Currently Kotaku have a live stream of gameplay on PS4: https://www.facebook.com/kotaku/
Old 05 August 2016, 19:22   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Indeed, Ubisoft (and others) are tragically guilty of this sort of thing - but it's always been that way; trailers are pre-rendered or network rendered with way more power than the PC can provide at the time.
Nowadays its more about the console version's limitations, but what you describe here was basically the process all the way back to the golden age of Commodore. Games would be scaled to fit the more common hardware. The only difference between now and then is that back then you wouldn't actually see it, you would maybe hear about it after the fact if you cared about it, but most didn't and just played the game as put in the stores - happily.

You know - parallax backdrop removals, scaling back the number of onscreen enemies, etc. No outraged uproars before online video was a thing, it was just accepted tuning of the game.
Old 05 August 2016, 21:11   #18
Dunny

gimbal: Precisely.

As for Barry's assessment of a game he has yet to play, I think I'll wait for launch day and see what it's like for myself. I absolutely adore Elite: Dangerous, and that's had a hell of a panning for a lack of content. If NMS only has the exploration, I'll be happy as a pig in shit, I really will.

As for the graphics, the world rendering is exactly the same as it has been in all the trailers, so there's that at least - and the graphical style is what is important for me above all else.
Old 06 August 2016, 00:20   #19
ptyerman

There is a write up over on Ars Technica UK about it and the leaked gameplay videos that are going around.
I'm still looking forward to giving this a try, but I now think I will get bored with it very quickly, will find out next week.
Unfortunately, I think the developers have made the same mistake as ALL others these last few years, in that they have concentrated far too much on the graphics and visuals rather than the gameplay aspects.
I would much rather have a game with just ASCII graphics that has loads of enjoyable gameplay than one with overworked visuals and very little or zero gameplay.
It does look like the lack of a campaign or story is very detrimental to the gameplay in No Man's Sky.
Old 06 August 2016, 15:23   #20
BarryB
Amigaholic

My 'assessment' is based on the opinions of people who have played the leaked copy! I'll wait until it's been out a few months, read the reviews and seen how many patches it needs before it's playable and stable. Then, if it looks anywhere near as good as the hype, will probably buy it in a sale if it's under a tenner!

The Kotaku video is still available for those that want to see actual gameplay!
AdSense AdSense