English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 09 November 2013, 23:39   #41
BarryB
Amigaholic

@Shoonay: If you use those functions then you accept whatever DRM/restrictions they choose. The 'bloat and play' applies if you bought games from other Digital stores like EA and Ubisoft, unless you can install and play those same games via steam? There's still games sold on steam that use SecuROM, SolidShield, Tages and StarForce so you've got the potential to have several DRM mechanisms active on your system

@TCD: Once I see a Humbe Bundle offer I like that's DRM free (and not on GOG) then I'll definitely buy, I know I miss out on a lot of fairly good games but I also save quite a bit of money too The 'pay what you want' is a bit misleading as you say, but if you could pay want you want how many would pay NOTHING, 1p or 1¢? Making it £1 or $1 at least gives some money to whatever cause while covering costs!

@jmmijo: Is there a list of games that run without needing steam then once downloaded? As for bloat, having to run a more powerful system so the 'bloat' doesn't slow you down is just

Edit: Found this list on steam forums: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/lis...on_steam/page1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
It's not about promoting Steam as the best thing since sliced bread, but limiting your options to optain games by ruling out an 'evil cooperation' isn't very clever either
Nor is 'supporting' the 'evil cooperation', but I assume you mean 'corporation'

Last edited by BarryB; 09 November 2013 at 23:45.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 November 2013, 23:42   #42
TCD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Also note that many older games being sold on Steam now do not actually require Steam be running, you can run it directly from the install folder or via a shortcut.
Here's a list for those who think that every game on Steam is DRM ridden and can't be played 'outside' of Steam: http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

It's not about promoting Steam as the best thing since sliced bread, but limiting your options to optain games by ruling out an 'evil cooperation' isn't very clever either
Old 10 November 2013, 01:56   #43
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
@Shoonay: If you use those functions then you accept whatever DRM/restrictions they choose. The 'bloat and play' applies if you bought games from other Digital stores like EA and Ubisoft, unless you can install and play those same games via steam? There's still games sold on steam that use SecuROM, SolidShield, Tages and StarForce so you've got the potential to have several DRM mechanisms active on your system
Yes, I do agree having multiple forms or any form of DRM is really a waste of resources and such, but I have other ways of bypassing these alternate disc based forms of DRM.

Also there are many times that an old game gets updated and sold on Steam and they completely remove the DRM

I noticed this has happened recently on Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City with the removal of Xlive for Windows, also the same thing occurred with Bioshock 2 and we got some DLC too with Minerva's Den

I would always prefer using DRM-free titles like those from GOG of course.

I like gimbal, I like to keep my Steam client going to keep up with what he and the others are doing and of course when one of us have some games to trade.

I think I have a special position in that I have a Dedicated Gaming Rig and another File Server/Email Machine and use a KVM switchbox to change screen inputs.

I have no problem removing a lot of services and apps that I don't need on the gaming rig so it runs just fine.
Old 10 November 2013, 08:09   #44
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
It's not about promoting Steam as the best thing since sliced bread

Is this the ESBB (English Sliced Bread Board)?
Old 10 November 2013, 08:12   #45
Shoonay
Global Caturator

@BarryB: oh well, guess some people would rather not play any game than have any easily uninstallable piece of software on their computer, just because it exists. Fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
ESSBB (English Sliced Steamy Bread Board)

Last edited by Shoonay; 10 November 2013 at 08:25.
Old 10 November 2013, 09:05   #46
TCD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post

All those questions...
Old 10 November 2013, 11:50   #47
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
But the thing is that on these very forums, there can be only one thing that can be considered the best thing since sliced bread (and Steam can't be better).
Old 10 November 2013, 13:22   #48
BarryB
Amigaholic

I'm not trying to preach to the converted, if you all like using steam then that's fine, no problem there and multiplayer etc, needs a net connection so obviously steam needs to be online.

I found my steam folder and tried running all the games without steam running and only Half Life 2 seemed to work, all others complained of needing steam running, this is the gripe I initially had that the offline mode is not working 100% as you can't play offline without steam running!!

So, I'm putting my faith in all you steam diehards and have put some coal in it and fired it up after a few years of inactivity and OMFG the amount of updates and converting that needs doing is going to take HOURS!!! Then I'm going to test the offline mode by setting steam to offline, blocking it in my firewall, and loading games randomly for a few months offline then see if it needs to connect in that time. The problem so far is the conversion to the new format, it's taking AGES!!
Old 11 November 2013, 09:19   #49
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
I like gimbal, I like to keep my Steam client going to keep up with what he and the others are doing and of course when one of us have some games to trade.
I like you too.
Old 11 November 2013, 20:33   #50
TCD
Global Moderator

If there was any doubt that HB is 'business as usual', I present the humble store: https://www.humblebundle.com/store
(Deals for the first week it seems)

Edit: 5 out of 9 are DRM free... for what it matters.
Old 12 November 2013, 01:29   #51
jmmijo

Quote:
[snippage[So, I'm putting my faith in all you steam diehards and have put some coal in it and fired it up after a few years of inactivity and OMFG the amount of updates and converting that needs doing is going to take HOURS!!! Then I'm going to test the offline mode by setting steam to offline, blocking it in my firewall, and loading games randomly for a few months offline then see if it needs to connect in that time. The problem so far is the conversion to the new format, it's taking AGES!![/snippage]
Yes I get that if you have been offline for an extended period of time then there are going to a ton of updates, not just for Steam either.

Also note, the conversion is required now as many games that are Steamworks games will require the new Steampipe file format which is a much more effecient way to store the local files and take less time to download as they are smaller.

That is not to say there are not really large games out there like Max Payne 3 for instance or Rage, but even if they are not a Steamworks game the file format is smaller so again these games take up less space on your HDD and of course will take less time to download.

The offline mode seems to work fine for some games better then others, even if it doesn't require Steam to be running in order to play.

However, offline mode does require a connection be made now and again to check for any Steam Client updates along with any game updates and such.

So technically there is no longer a true offline mode now, it will still require a connection to check on updates, this is like when you set your anti-malware/virus app to check on updates once a week or so.
Old 12 November 2013, 07:27   #52
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
So, I'm putting my faith in all you steam diehards and have put some coal in it and fired it up after a few years of inactivity and OMFG the amount of updates and converting that needs doing is going to take HOURS!!!
So it's Steam's fault that the devs update their games and they do so ONLY on Steam?

How about we go offline and stop visiting forums, facebook or any of our favorite sites?

How about we turn off our computers completely, our mobiles, TV's and never use them?

How about we turn off every electrical device and stop using them?

Wouldn't life be so much easier?
Old 12 November 2013, 14:15   #53
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Probably yes! But I'll settle for using all those things more wisely, or with a grain of thought to begin with.
Old 12 November 2013, 17:56   #54
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
So it's Steam's fault that the devs update their games and they do so ONLY on Steam?

How about we go offline and stop visiting forums, facebook or any of our favorite sites?

How about we turn off our computers completely, our mobiles, TV's and never use them?

How about we turn off every electrical device and stop using them?

Been watching too many episodes of Revolution have we?
Old 13 November 2013, 20:38   #55
TCD
Global Moderator

For those that bought the evil cooperation's (Warner Bros) BTA bundle, there are a few bonus games to redeem or gift away now
Old 14 November 2013, 14:05   #56
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Fucking evil corporations man, only yesterday I bought Arkham Origins for 10 oyro and now they give me the DLC for free in the bundle I got before. Dunno if I can handle the pain.
Old 14 November 2013, 15:22   #57
TCD
Global Moderator

Yeah, and I just got this notification on Steam:
Quote:
-Vapour: Borders of Purgatory Giveaway! Winners !

1-TheCyberDruid
Won: Deus Ex: Human Revolution™
I know that gimby will be very proud of me when he sees this. I <3 evil cooperations and their offspring!
Old 14 November 2013, 20:53   #58
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That's a good boy! Now play it and love it. Love it!
Old 15 November 2013, 15:32   #59
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Chaos Engine for €2.71: http://getgamesgo.com/product/chaos-engine
Old 15 November 2013, 16:15   #60
TCD
Global Moderator

Not worth even 2.71 €...
AdSense AdSense