English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 13 June 2011, 00:28   #21
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Thread hijiack! Well I guess anyway people were done promoting Steam indie releases...

So I take this opportunity to mention two DS homebrew games. The first one is very good and I would have put it in the main board but it does not fit in the remakes category, even though it feels quite retro-inspired

1) Red Temple. Very interesting.
http://filetrip.net/g7537-RedTemple.html

The quick description on the download page says:
"Red Temple is a top-down adventure and puzzle game, similar to a cross between Chip's Challenge and rogue-likes such as nethack."

And I confirm it. Very pleasant to play. Good mix of traditional controls (pad or XYAB buttons to move, side triggers to "shoot") and of stylus control for some actions (checking an object, grabbing a barrel, interacting with the inventory menu).

Some nice tutorials (24 of them). A sort of achievement system (medals awarded for certain conditions, with specific rewards for each medal unlocked) for "modern" gamers).

So if Chip's Challenge and similar puzzle/action games are among your favourites, you won't regret trying this one.

2) Space Math DS
http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_juego...ath-ds_1590586

A funny homebrew based on quick mental arithmetic (a bit like some parts of the Kawashima's games). Pretty interesting by itself actually. I quite liked the fact that it let's you train stylus recognition and notably showing how the game expects you to enter the numbers.

There is a story about a space invasion and you must save the Earth. The interesting part is that while the story is told, the background music is the one from the Amiga version of Epic .

Spanish only though. Although it won't hinder the gameplay if you don't know the language.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 June 2011, 08:13   #22
jmmijo

Not really a hijack, Steam always has a slew of INDY games from every genre.

It's nice to know about others that have not been released on Steam or some other Digital Download option
Old 13 June 2011, 21:01   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery is apparently something totally out of this world to experience.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 June 2011, 23:37   #24
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

if you want to score some nice indie games right now, check out the weekend deal that is on steam right now. 10 indie games up for grabs and there are some nice ones in there! Especially AaAaAa! and metal drift look amazing.
Old 17 June 2011, 07:15   #25
CritAnime

VVVVVV is a very interesting game. Got it off the Mac App store for £1.50.
Old 17 June 2011, 12:11   #26
jmmijo

I just grabbed the pair of Indy Game Packs from Steam, also picked up the F.E.A.R. Collection too
Old 17 June 2011, 17:20   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

good; I'll be expecting my percentage from Valve soon then.
Old 17 June 2011, 21:24   #28
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
good; I'll be expecting my percentage from Valve soon then.

Good luck on that one
Old 05 August 2011, 00:11   #29
lilalurl
T32

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Hey, sales are up again on steam

More seriously, here is a recommendation if you like single-screen action puzzle games (games like Bumpy or Still Alive DS for instance).

A Game Maker game called Wubly² (preferably use the download option to play at home):
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/2994-wubly%C2%B2

You are a pink block (with eyes) and use a hookshot to move in orthogonal lines (like in Atomix for example). You can release you grip from the destination block with the space bar, even while traveling (which means you can fall under a ballistic trajectory).

The aim is to reach an exit. Ofc, there are several obstacles, like blocks that can kill you, that can block you or sometimes you need to collect some stars to activate the exit.

The first worlds are tutorials. They are quite extensive, so it can be a bit boring but in the end they don't take that much time.

The game probably gets quite difficult after a while. The first few levels of the Normal world (first world besides the tutorials) have had me died quite a few times already. Better planning + mastery of the hookshot could probably help ofc But if you don't like games in which you are bound to die a lot I guess this is not for you.
Old 05 August 2011, 20:18   #30
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I purchased Limbo.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48000/

Demo is available on the same page. I just love the art style of this game.
Old 05 August 2011, 20:55   #31
jmmijo

Quote:
I purchased Limbo.

I was looking at this one, I will have to check out the demo for sure.

I noticed Steam is having a sale each day in honor of QuakeCon, up until the 7th.
Old 05 September 2011, 12:33   #32
Fragger

Dungeons of Dredmor, a rogue-like game. You can find it on Steam.
Old 06 September 2011, 00:24   #33
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
I was looking at this one, I will have to check out the demo for sure.
Been playing it and its awesome. Starts easy enough, but eventually gets more challenging when you have to do more complex acrobatics with swinging objects or deadly devices/objects/monsters following you around.

The game has some genius traps, like little worms that burrow into your head and force you to walk in one direction only until you hit a beam of light, at which point the worm will make you turn around. Doesn't sound special? Now imagine a large rotating blade slowly coming towards you and you can't turn around Halp!

The best trap/puzzle in the game is water though, and boy is it used well. The water physics are really realistic, so it moves around, spills, fills up rooms, makes stuff float, heavy objects will make the water level go up, etc. etc.
Old 11 September 2011, 03:44   #34
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
I purchased Limbo.

Bought this myself last week and finished it the same day... awesome game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritAnime View Post
VVVVVV is a very interesting game. Got it off the Mac App store for £1.50.
Bought this yesteday and finished this one as well the same day, got all the trinkets too
Anyway, this is another cool game... though not up there with Limbo maybe, but they're really too different to be compared.
If you can deal with some frustration, this is definitely a game to check out... the PC version is $5 USD btw.
Oh and the game has some awesome chiptune style music!
Here's my favourite track from the game, it's really good! -

[ Show youtube player ]

Finally, today I downloaded and finished another indie game, this one is freeware - Hero Core.
It's the sequel to an older game by the same author, called Hero, but I'd recommend playing Hero Core first... as it's a much better game. The first one simply has levels while the sequel has one large area to explore, and you get an automap in this one.
The game is one of those Metroid style games, where you explore a rather large area and kill bosses and such to upgrade your weapons... which in turn might give you access to new areas.
Not a very original formula, but one I like and the game does it pretty well.
It's not a very long game, I finished it in an hour and a half and I did everything there is to do... but it was fun while it lasted and it's freeware so I can't really complain
One mistake I made though was to play it on the normal difficulty level which was quite a bit too easy (really, it is quite easy, it's not that I'm particularly good at these kinds of games or anything like that) so I would highly recommend playing it on the hard setting.

Here's a little trailer video for the game -
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by laffer; 11 September 2011 at 03:50.
Old 11 September 2011, 14:58   #35
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Bought this myself last week and finished it the same day... awesome game!
A bit short though, but for 10 euros you can't complain much. And boy is it worth playing on to the end because the puzzles in the last third of the game take on an immense scale, -very- impressive design work!

I'm hoping for a LIMBO 2, because I want more, lots more!

Now I have my eye on this affordable baby called wasteland angel:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46520/

What this game makes me wish for is a modern remake/port of Quarantine. Now there was a really cool game, but it didn't age very well.

Last edited by gimbal; 11 September 2011 at 15:05.
Old 25 September 2011, 04:30   #36
laffer
Zone Friend

I've gotten hooked on Super Meat Boy lately, it's quite a well known and popular game but I assume it still counts as an indie game.

Not that it's a game people don't already know about, but anyway... just thought I'd throw my recommendation in anyway, it's really a fun and addictive game!
Old 25 September 2011, 06:16   #37
CritAnime

My fiancée has bought me the Ultra Edition on DVD. I am really enjoying Super Meat Boy and wonder how I didn't download this game when it first came out. I am just working my way through some of the dark world levels now.

Got into Terraria for a bit. However I soon got bored once I finished building my fort.
Old 25 September 2011, 17:24   #38
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

added super meat boy to my favorites (AKA the todo list). I've been eying it for some time now, but until now I didn't really have a reason to actually buy it. Thanks for providing the little push guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritAnime View Post
Got into Terraria for a bit. However I soon got bored once I finished building my fort.
Yeah it doesn't have lasting appeal. I was playing it intensely for a week or two, until I got the best materials in the game. Then the fun started to dim, because all there is basically left is grinding bosses to get more stuff :/
Old 25 September 2011, 20:53   #39
laffer
Zone Friend

Prepare to lose your mind, though
The game can be very frustrating at times... however, it never becomes too hard to handle, it always allows for some (sometimes very minor though) mistakes... and the controls are great so you never feel like you die unfairly.

Especially if you want to finish the game 100%, as I'm currently working on... it becomes quite difficult

I'm in world 4 by now, and some of the dark world levels here are really difficult.

By the way, one of the unlockable characters is Captain Viridian from VVVVVV, and he plays the same way here as he does in his own game
VVVVVV is another game I highly recommend, especially if you find you like Super Meat Boy.

Last edited by laffer; 25 September 2011 at 21:01.
Old 25 September 2011, 21:16   #40
blade002
Zone Friend

I came across this game few weeks back but i haven't bought it yet, but it looks quite good

Bastion
[ Show youtube player ]
AdSense AdSense