English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 01 November 2012, 12:35   #1061
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
I loved Total Recall.

Much more action driven than the original, and the purists might not like some of the changes made in this remake. But I just thought this film was so much fun. The unending action scenes were brilliantly choreographed, the dingy locales were beautiful, and Kate Beckinsale was great as the murderous Lori, despite some wooden acting here and there.

8.5/10.
I have to disagree.

Being a huge fan of the original I went into this reboot with trepidation and doubt, and boy the film lived up to that. Not because it was a poor film, but the story was completely different. Rename the characters, and the Rekall company and you have a completely different film that does actually manage to stand up on its own.

This should never have been called Total Recall, nor should it have been touted as a reboot. As I have mentioned the story is different, there are characters missing and none of the story is set on Mars, there are no mutants (except for the one). For those hardcore fans of the original, avoid if you don't want to be disappointed. For those who just enjoy a pointless action film, with no real story, then this is worth a once over, just ignore the very few original Total Recall references (Three breasted women anyone!!). Oh and see if you can count the total number of lens flares in the film..

Overall 6/10 (based on its own merits, and not taking the reboot into consideration). It would have been 7/10 if they hadn't killed it with lens flares. (I give the Arnie original 8/10)

Last edited by BippyM; 01 November 2012 at 12:45.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 November 2012, 20:22   #1062
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Paul Verhoeven rules! Even his worst movie is still highly watchable (although some of his earlier Dutch works are a bit over the top). The guy has a problem of being too honest though, which does not mesh well with Hollywood :/ Probably a few potential gems never saw the light of day because of it.

I just wish people wouldn't take his work (Robocop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers) and then go ahead and turn it to shit in awful sequels and reboots.
Old 04 November 2012, 20:21   #1063
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw the Expendables 2. Its quite fun, but the one liners are incredibly weak and stale. Arnold of course is in the movie and every one liner you can come up with related to him you can be sure is in there. On top of that the sheer volume of characters in this movie makes it so you hardly see any of them, it could easily have been 30 minutes longer to get some more character backing story in there.

Still looking forward to the third one, but the formula is breaking down IMO.
Old 13 November 2012, 00:44   #1064
NovaCoder

[ Show youtube player ]

Enough said already...
Old 19 November 2012, 09:14   #1065
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Had a peek at the Total Recall re-whatever.

Well its a very pretty movie (and I'm not only talking about Kate Beckinsale here who is still as stunning as she is skinny). It is basically a mash-up of the original Total Recall, I, Robot, the Fifth Element, Blade Runner, the Bourne Identity and Equillibrium. All excellent movies!

Which makes it only more of a shame that this movie is only average. There is very little story here, its mostly "Bourne" chase scenes. Acting - not much needed when you're only running, jumping, rolling, grasping and falling. The bad guy is very weak, I mean what more can you expect from the dad in Malcolm in the Middle. The guy has been playing a wimpy loser for so long, how can you ever see him as a serious villain?

Good enough to be entertaining, not good enough to live up all the movies it tries to copy. Shame. 6/10.
Old 19 November 2012, 18:40   #1066
Shoonay
Global Caturator

LOL, true that gimby. The new Total Recall sucks:
- 90% of the scenes are rendered, rest of the scenes are filmed in closed 5x5 meter rooms
- skinny Kate is hillarius kicking the main characters ass
- the main character is a whiny bitch
- the triple-boob scene is added just for the faps yet doesnt make sense since there are no other mutants
- the "old lady in disguise" scene is kinda tricky how they fooled the viewer but the way this time it fails is just dumb - why could he just use his own voice?
... and so on...
I like how they *tried* to make the plot different from the original, but they got completely lost with it in about half of the movie.

I also saw the new Amazing Spider movie and it rocks.
Love it how they explained almost everything, made it kinda more realistic, maybe a bit too much into sci-fi, but cool nonetheless.
IMHO the characters were a bit underdeveloped and in about 80% of the movie it gets boring, mostly renders of spidey jumping and fighting. The hero crane workers who help spidey scene was hillariusly cheesy, the ending was kinda too sad for hollywood standards and kinda out of touch with how she forgets about what happened and smiles he's with her...
Oh well, nevermind, that's Emma Stone.
Old 03 December 2012, 10:18   #1067
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

This weekend I happened to be in Bruges (its in Belgium!). Lovely city, a true medieval setting filled with the friendliest people I've ever met who basically speak every important European language. I'm certainly going back there, somewhere in the summer when it is nice and warm It won't matter for the tourism, even in cold rainy December the city was packed.

And for the fun of it yesterday I watched the movie In Bruges again, to see what I would recognize. The answer: everything, I've been everywhere they go in the movie

Fun and beautiful film too, had a good chuckle throughout and certainly the very best performance Colin Farrell will ever give. Highly recommended!
Old 03 December 2012, 11:46   #1068
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah, In Bruges is a great movie.

I've been planning on going to Bruges with the missus soon, glad to hear it's as lovely as I've heard elsewhere!
Old 03 December 2012, 11:58   #1069
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Its a good place to go if you like churches and cathedrals, since there is one for every 5*5 block of houses :/ One bigger than the other, truly spectacular. Most of them are free to enter.

Also a tip: I went to the "friet museum" (fries museum). The museum itself isn't worth much; it tells the history of the potato (and gives the definitive explanation as to why potatos are NOT bad for your health) and explains the possible origins of fries, which isn't clear. Also the origin of the term "French fries" which is amusing

The important thing about the museum however is that in its basement there is a little diner where you can get the best darned fries I've ever eaten. In comparison the ones you can get in the Netherlands are tasteless pieces of string. Please, don't miss out on them.
Old 10 December 2012, 08:31   #1070
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I think you guys are allowing your sentimentality towards the original Total Recall obscure the fact that the remake, while not entirely faithful to the original, was still a total blast.

Anyway, I'm behind with my movie reviews. Let's talk about Skyfall.

But honestly, there's not much to say. Apart from the fact that, with Craig's beautiful rendition of a broken-down Bond, gorgeous set pieces (the Shanghai scene is just immaculate), top notch action scenes and a provocative and multi-layered theme delving into ageing, moving on, letting go of the past and old vs new, this is the best Bond film ever made. Quite easily.

Once again, purists might sniff their noses in derision at how the franchise has changed, what with Bond no longer being the invincible hero but rather more of a vulnerable anti-hero, action scenes that feel like they have been ripped directly from a Call of Duty game and thoroughly darker themes permeating throughout. Hell, there is even the suggestion that M is secretly in love with Bond, and that Bond might even be bisexual (*gasp! Oh nooes!*)

But in truth, it is these little refinements that have reinvigorated the franchise and made Bond relevant again. Not to mention eat Bourne for breakfast.

9/10. I can't decide whether Bond or Batman is my film of the year. Or Total Recall.
Old 10 December 2012, 08:38   #1071
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Saw Savages a few months ago.

From what I can remember, the plot was tight and the acting superb. The storyline did a remarkable job of plaiting together numerous plot devices into the one contiguous arc, and the dialogue was witty, as you would expect from a film of this ilk.

My only gripe? The violence is gruesome and over-the-top, and that is putting it mildly. When a film opens with a scene hinting at an execution that consists of decapitating multiple victims torridly begging for their lives - with a chainsaw, no less - you know that you're in for it. I went to see it with a few girls, and they were decidedly green by the end of the screening.

If you can bear that, then you will enjoy the ride. I think I did pretty well, considering I only went to see it for Salma Hayek, who I have a huge crush on and who just seems to become more beautiful with age. 7.5/10.
Old 10 December 2012, 08:50   #1072
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

And last, and very much least, I went and saw Tw...

Didn't hear me? I said that I went and saw Twi...

Alright, alright...

I went and saw Twilight: Breaking Dawn part 2. There, I said it. Something I swore I never would do. A female friend dragged me along with her to see it.

And my review? Put simply, it was crap.

The acting is wooden. The dialogue is abysmal, as if the actors have to explain the plot directly to the audience. The music is sickeningly melodramatic, like you are watching an extended version of Days Of Our Lives. With such a big budget, you'd think the special effects would be good, buy they are not, as if some IT university flunkie had been tasked with doing them, armed with an old version of Macromedia Director. And while the vampires are supposed to be beautiful beings, their coloured hair, tinted eyes, and heavily powdered faces make them all look stupid. Everything about this film was unrealistic and unbelievable, and it's hard to suspend disbelief when you are unable to connect with the material.

Seriously, when the audience in attendance - whom I presume are mostly Twilight fans that have voraciously devoured the books - laugh out loud at scenes and dialogue that are supposed to be serious, then you know the film is flawed. Even my friend, a self-confessed Twilight fan, said the movie was incredibly poor.

So why haven't I given this film a 1/10? Well, in its defence, there is an action scene right at the end, pitting all these supernatural protagonists against one another, that I surprisingly found myself getting into, and was very well choreographed and scripted. Got to give credit where its due, because that was a very fun part of the film.

But alas, apart from that, this movie is an absolute stinker. Not even the people whom it is intended for appreciate it. 3/10 from me.
Old 10 December 2012, 09:35   #1073
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
I think you guys are allowing your sentimentality towards the original Total Recall obscure the fact that the remake, while not entirely faithful to the original, was still a total blast.
Excuse me, but that's exactly what I didn't do because I was trying to prevent people giving this kind of argument :/

Stick it where it is dark dude, you just have poor taste!

Quote:
Anyway, I'm behind with my movie reviews. Let's talk about Skyfall.

But honestly, there's not much to say. Apart from the fact that, with Craig's beautiful rendition of a broken-down Bond, gorgeous set pieces (the Shanghai scene is just immaculate), top notch action scenes and a provocative and multi-layered theme delving into ageing, moving on, letting go of the past and old vs new, this is the best Bond film ever made. Quite easily.
I've been trying to see it in the cinema for about a month now, but each and every time the movie is booked solid and I'm *not* going to see it in a full room; people suck too much at behaving socially acceptable when cramped into a dark room tied to all kinds of rules. Perhaps in two weeks

And meanwhile there is also Looper which looks awesome, and the Hobbit is of course just around the corner. Help!
Old 10 December 2012, 19:42   #1074
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I'm a big fan of the original Total Recall, but I wasn't impressed by the remake. It had some nice ideas, like the whole shuttle through the Earth etc, but they didn't really add anything for me. And why was the 3 boobed hooker in it without the Mars/dirty air mutants part of the story? I found Colin Farell to be completely without charisma and I didn't really care if he survived or not. I think he's fine in a supporting role, but I don't think he can carry a film. I also felt the film lacked the ambiguity of the original, which is what I like about it. It was all just a bit Hollywood cookie cutter and bland.
Old 10 December 2012, 20:52   #1075
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
I think he's fine in a supporting role, but I don't think he can carry a film.
No really, see In Bruges - he's excellent in it. And by extension I'm highly anticipating seeing Seven Psychopaths:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1931533/

And there are some classics like Phonebooth and Tigerland. The dude ain't all bad.
Old 11 December 2012, 18:30   #1076
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I did quite like Phonebooth actually, but I'm still not convinced on Farell.
Old 12 December 2012, 20:12   #1077
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
I did quite like Phonebooth actually, but I'm still not convinced on Farell.
Well as a person he's a dick
Old 16 December 2012, 02:28   #1078
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw Resident Evil: Retribution. Well its slightly better than the previous one, but its still far from good. This time it is just a bit of rehashing of both monsters and characters slapped onto a non-existing storyline. There just isn't anything left, the well is dry; it is now going into "enemies working together" territory which is slightly worse than a "chosen one" type of deal.

But guess what? The ending is open, there is going to be another one. And I'll have to see it because for some reason my girlfriend likes this stuff. Somebody make it stop
Old 16 December 2012, 19:17   #1079
pubzombie

Your girlfriend likes zombie films!!!!!! Don't knock it!!!
Next you'll tell me she plays games too!!!
Saw the expendables 2 last night - shockingly poor. I knew not to expect much but it really is poor. After the first 10 mins you've seen the film. Think Stalone must have botoxed his brain - he's not right.
Anybody seen the Hobbit yet? It's had some shocking reviews on the radio last night.
Old 17 December 2012, 15:06   #1080
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
Your girlfriend likes zombie films!!!!!! Don't knock it!!!
My girlfriend is a programmer, she likes all geeky stuff More than I do to be honest, she's the one watching the Big Bang Theory, the IT crowd, etc. etc. But yes, zombies and vampires are a bit of an obsession. Romero type zombie obsession.

Quote:
Next you'll tell me she plays games too!!!
She does, just not the games I play (although she is very interested in Dead Island of course)
AdSense AdSense