English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 04 August 2008, 13:05   #1
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

general movie discussions

The old threads have died so I am creating a new one

Saw X-Files: I Want To Believe in the cinema friday. I must say that it is a really fun and a bit disturbing EPISODE of the X-Files. Yep, it is not really a movie, it is just a long episode that you can watch without needing to see the original series. The acting is fine as always, with a bit more humor thrown into the Mulder character. The humor is needed because the rest of the movie is very dark, gloomy and as I said a little disturbing. It is a fine attempt at recreating the older X-files atmosphere that died in the late part of the series. I can recommend forking over the rediculous amount of cash for a ticket to see it on the big screen, if you are a fan that is. If not... well see it on DVD/Blu-ray anyway.

Just to note, I was even more entertained by the obvious X-Files nerd sitting one row in front of me. A seemingly young guy with the hair of Jack Osbourne, that actually CLAPPED EXCITEDLY LIKE A GIRL when an old regular from the series appeared in the movie, and during the Mulder/Scully scenes he was leaning on the seat in front of him, staring dreamily at the screen with a smile that only people in love can have... sick!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 August 2008, 13:14   #2
TCD
Global Moderator

Thanks gimbal

I watched some oldtimers on the weekend. I was in the mood for some 'classic' action movies that were : Lethal Weapon 4 and Robocop 2.
While Lethal Weapon 4 was like I remembered it (good action scenes and a not too bad humour) I had completely forgotten that Robocop 2 was not very entertaining Ah well watched it anyway and decided that it should be wiped from my 'classics' list
Old 04 August 2008, 15:14   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I'm a big fan of the first 6-7 seasons of the X-files. I never liked the first movie, where they wanted to show this Giger inspired Alien monsters.

But the new movie is even worser. A boring double episode which can't compete with ANY double episodes from the TV series. Try it if you don't have any others movies to watch. I missed a lot of old characters and the special humor/atmosphere from the series.
Old 05 August 2008, 14:09   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

boring eh I'm glad I do not have that limitation, more fun for me.

Robocop 2 is truly a piece of shit, but it still entertains me. The idea to put a kid in as a bad guy is one of the most epic fails of the 90's made by hollywood.
Old 05 August 2008, 14:32   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, the side plot about relationsship and faith overlaid the at most mediocre main plot. Not too much fun. The acting is fine and the snowy Vancouver looks beautiful, but it doesn't feel like X-files.

It's a thriller with some old X-file characters included, nothing more...sadly
Old 05 August 2008, 22:04   #6
Fred the duck

David Duchovny is a transvestite

Old 06 August 2008, 11:54   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
It's a thriller with some old X-file characters included, nothing more...sadly
There! You are on the road to being healed friend! You were experiencing the classic "I read the book and I think the movie sucks" syndrome, only it had mutated into "I saw the original series and I think the movie sucks".

Now what you do is simply *not* make the comparison; even though this plays like an episode, this is an X-Files MOVIE, it should never be related with the original series. If you manage that, the movie is just fine on its own and very entertaining.
Old 06 August 2008, 12:12   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
If you manage that, the movie is just fine on its own and very entertaining.
Maybe for you. Even if you don't compare it with the TV series it's still another boring thriller. There are tons of them, with a slighty touch of mystery. I would compare it with "The Crimson Rivers" or maybe "Smilla's feeling of snow". These are entertaining mystery thriller.

There was no need for another X-files movie, at least not in the way they've made it. I want to believe...but i can't!!!

Quote:
David Duchovny is a transvestite
Source?

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 06 August 2008 at 12:33.
Old 06 August 2008, 15:45   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Alright, I will respect your opinion then Friends!

*hug*
Old 06 August 2008, 15:55   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

OK, which movie now?
Old 06 August 2008, 15:58   #11
Dizzy
Pirate

Friends the movie...

That sure will suck
Old 06 August 2008, 18:53   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Hancock! Saw it two weeks ago. I rate it a 6.5, it starts really great and funny and then halfway through the movie SOMEBODY decided that it should have more backstory, so a lot of useless elements are introduced that turn the movie into a drama, ditching most of the humor altogether. I can clearly see that the original idea for the movie was totally different and more in sync with the first half, but I am guessing some hollywood dick turned it into a piece of crap due to "artistic vision".
Old 06 August 2008, 19:18   #13
Fred the duck

Zombie Lake

Good clean family entertainment

Old 06 August 2008, 20:12   #14
TCD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Hancock! Saw it two weeks ago. I rate it a 6.5, it starts really great and funny and then halfway through the movie SOMEBODY decided that it should have more backstory, so a lot of useless elements are introduced that turn the movie into a drama, ditching most of the humor altogether. I can clearly see that the original idea for the movie was totally different and more in sync with the first half, but I am guessing some hollywood dick turned it into a piece of crap due to "artistic vision".
I knew it After watching the really funny trailer I said to some friends that after the first hilarious half the 'political correct' Hollywood shit will wipe all fun from the screen. Damn it don't these pricks ever want to have fun? There was really some potential in the approach, but that 'dramatic turning point' *spits out* does it Thanks for letting me know the second half is pure crap. These things tend to ruin my day completely
Old 06 August 2008, 23:28   #15
Yoto
1 Potato to Spamīem all!

I saw "The Dark Knight" today, a 150 minutes movie. Its a cool movie, darker and more adult. The batman character is somewhat more alike Frank Millerīs version imho. The previous batmans were all talk good doers, the villians were just fotocopies from the comic books. I like the actor that plays the batman character too, the worst was George Clooney, heīs a good actor but a lousy batman...always with that stupid smile on his face...
Old 06 August 2008, 23:39   #16
TCD
Global Moderator

You have seen Batman begins Yoti right? Christian Bale was Batman in this one too I will definetely watch it in the next weeks. Batman begins was the best Batman movie so far
Old 07 August 2008, 00:31   #17
Yoto
1 Potato to Spamīem all!

Agree with you TCD, but the last one is also good! Well, my wife likes "Batman Begins" better than "The Dark Knight", but i like them both equally, i find difficult to choose...
If you like to watch and eat popcorns at the same time i would recommend the BIG menu, lol because the movie is really big!
Old 07 August 2008, 03:03   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

the dark knight is the next one I am going to see; the choice is between the third mummy movie and TDK, well the choice is easy (M3 is getting a view the week after). I love Batman Begins, although I hate the fact that Gary Oldman has such a useless role in it. He is a freaking good actor, it was a shame to see his talent go to waste in BB. Perhaps in TDK they make better use of his talents. Too bad he will never be a villain in this new series though, that would have been awesome
Old 07 August 2008, 22:35   #19
TCD
Global Moderator

Just watching Loaded Weapon Complete nonsense, but nice if you haven't seen it for some years. What's really funny about this movie is how many cameos are in it (just watched the scene with Scotty from Star Trek ).
Old 08 August 2008, 00:54   #20
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

*Samuel speaks korean while speaking through a megaphone*
*Samuel looks at the megaphone and notices it is made in korea*
"Can somebody find me a damned American one???"

That one had me pissing my pants for a looooooong time. Not sure it was Korean though, could also have been made in Japan or Taiwan
AdSense AdSense