English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 24 August 2017, 23:03   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

GOG Bethesda Sale: DOOM 3 BFG + QUAKE 4

Seems GOG has another 'sale' this time featuring Doom 3 BFG and Quake 4, plus most of iD's earlier games!

As is the norm with GOG, there are 'always' issues, the issue here is it's the BFG Edition not the original Doom 3!

I have played both Doom 3 (many, many times over) and the BFG Edition (not even to the end of Mars City Underground) and the issue with Doom 3 BFG is it just does not play like the original Doom 3! It feels 'laggy' and un-optimised, the new textures have been 'brightened up' so everything is 'brighter' not dark and foreboding like the original which gave the game a very believable and gloomy atmosphere. The duct tape mod that you could apply to the original Doom 3 to allow the flashlight to be turned on while a weapon is drawn is permanently enabled in BFG so you can now have the flashlight on at any time, that really kills any atmosphere right off the bat! People will no longer have to switch to the flashlight to check out dark areas then suddenly get attacked and start 'panic fumbling' to switch to a weapon, that 'shock' factor is potentially gone with BFG so it kills any sense of literally being 'alone in the dark'! It also seems to have an altered FOV, you seem 'closer' to everything, not looking at everything further away like in the original so you see more, so that removes some of the atmosphere too. All of this really makes the BFG Edition a totally different game and one I just couldn't play to the end, and it's a bloody long game!! They also changed Sergeant Kelly so he has more hair and a different face, WTF!! It also comes with the expansion: Resurrection of Evil but never played it to see it was the same as BFG! Played it in the original Doom 3 and loved it!

Not too sure about Quake 4, only played it once so couldn't have been all that sparkling but I may have started playing something else and never went back to Quake 4. I also think from the GOG forums it may be a censored version, that in it self sucks huge Donkey Balls peddling censored crap! I can't honestly have an opinion about Quake 4 seeing as I never played it more than once, so can't recommend it one way or the other!

So, if you really want a truly scary Doom FPS, get Doom 3 and not BFG
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 August 2017, 01:08   #2
jmmijo

I noticed the sale too, checking it out as well.
Old 25 August 2017, 03:04   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

I just bought Quake 4, you need to add this file to the q4base folder before playing:

Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6g1qxf8wgdxzbd/quake4config.cfg?dl=0
Once done, load Q4 then configure the game how you want, it makes the textures sharper and not blurry! The game is very colourful though, a bit too sickly for my liking!
Old 25 August 2017, 15:38   #4
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Got them for less @ steam summer sale.
Old 26 August 2017, 10:03   #5
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Rented them for less @ steam summer sale.
Corrected this for you.
Old 26 August 2017, 11:12   #6
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I didn't realise they had made those changes in the BFG edition, however I do recall many people complaining that the game was too dark, as well as feeling annoyed at having to continually switch between weapon and flashlight. As for me, I liked Doom 3 at the time, but felt it was alittle underwhelming.

I can highly recommend Quake 4 however. I had a blast with that title, so much so I prefer it over Quake 2. It's the game Doom 3 should have been IMO.
Old 26 August 2017, 16:44   #7
BarryB
Amigaholic

I'm the opposite, original Doom 3 really captured the atmosphere of being shit scared and alone, all those unexpected attacks just freaked you out the first time they happened due to the semi-dark and dark areas 'cloaking' those nasty demons!!

After playing Quake 4 again, it doesn't have an atmosphere like Doom 3 as it's too bright and colourful for one and the enemies are easy to dispatch, just felt like another 'rinse/repeat' shooter after a few hours playing! It's not a 'bad' shooter, just not as good as Doom 3.
Old 27 August 2017, 15:10   #8
BarryB
Amigaholic

After looking at various posts about Quake 4 I tried a few suggested tweaks and this one seems OK to me, makes it look a bit more how Doom 3 looks:

Create an empty autoexec.cfg file in the 'q4base' folder and paste the following into it and save:

seta image_downSize "0"
seta image_downSizeBump "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "0"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_roundDown "0"
seta image_useCompression "0"
seta image_useNormalCompression "0"
seta image_anisotropy "16"
seta image_lodbias "0"
seta r_renderer "best"

Once done, I ran the game and set these options:

Settings > System > Video Quality: Ultra Quality
Settings > System > Aspect Ratio: 16:10 (the aspect of my monitor)
Settings > System > Screen Size: 1920 x 1200 (native resolution of monitor)
Settings > System > Advanced Settings > Vertical sync: On
Settings > System > Advanced Settings > Antialiasing: 16
Settings > System > Advanced Settings > Multiple CPU/core: On

Don't turn 'Force ambient light' on, that's the setting that makes it look too bright and colourful, I had that on so that's why my game looked awful! Now it looks more Doom 3, textures aren't as high res as Doom 3 but the 'darkness' is back

Edit: Another thing I found out regards Doom 3 on steam, if you download the 1.3.1 patch and extract it with 7-Zip, overwrite the steam Doom3.exe with the one from the patch and create a new shortcut you can run Doom 3 without steam! Same for Resurrection of Evil expansion, except the shortcut should have +set fs_game_base d3xp on the end!

Last edited by BarryB; 27 August 2017 at 19:15.
AdSense AdSense