English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 18 March 2017, 11:34   #81
Master484

Quote:
I can give you any arcade asset from the arcade if you need it Master484.
I know, but it's still better to wait before ripping any GFX from the arcade.

I already have the US Gold version graphics from Codetapper's website, and I can make the first playable demo with them. And I can easily "emulate" the drawing stress of the arcade character sizes by simply making the BOB image areas bigger; so the actual arcade graphics files aren't yet needed in this experimentation phase.

And when or if the playable demo is one day ready, then we can make more accuracte plans on what size gfx to use, and what stuff needs be ripped from the arcade.

---

Also 25 FPS, although an acceptable frame rate for 128 colors, isn't really ideal for a game like this. So I'll make further tests to see if I can make this run at 50 FPS, without sacrificing the color amount and screen size too much.

Yesterday I just noticed that using 32 pixel fetch mode instead of the 64 pixel fetch mode actually freed 4 sprite channels, which could be used for two 64 pixel wide 16 color sprites. Which is good, but if the characters are in 64 colors, then the 16 color sprites can't be used for them.

But I'll experiment more to see if more sprite channels can be made available somehow, and also I'll test how things would look in 64 color mode, with some kind of combination of 48 color backround and 16 color BOBs and sprites; that might even run at 50 FPS, which would be awesome.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 March 2017, 12:32   #82
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Fireballs could be sprites. They could be 7 foreground colors or so.
Old 19 March 2017, 11:55   #83
Master484

Quote:
Fireballs could be sprites. They could be 7 foreground colors or so.
Yes that's one use for the sprites, especially if I can only display two or three of them on the screen.

Although I made some tests, and it seems that by disabling the larger AGA fetch modes and smooth scrolling, and decreasing the screen size to 288 pixels, I could display four 64 pixel wide sprites in 16 colors, in a 128 color mode screen.

But this had the side effect of being able to draw only 6 fireball BOBs at 50 FPS before slowdown. But of course the characters themselves could now be made with the sprites, because two 64 pixel wide sprites are enough for one character. Although this would mean a shared 16 color palette for all characters, while the backgrounds would be 64+ colors, but this might be OK if the game ran at 50 FPS, as it most likely would thanks to both fighters being sprites.

But I'll experiment further to see what would be the best solution.
Old 12 July 2017, 05:33   #84
Aarbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
Yes that's one use for the sprites, especially if ...but this might be OK if the game ran at 50 FPS, as it most likely would thanks to both fighters being sprites.
Hi Master484, the demo ADFs looked great, anything playable at all would be really cool at this point - have you seem the MSX 8-bit version of SF2 done for a gamedev compo a couple of years ago? [ Show youtube player ]

As you can see it does without character shadows and no screen scrolling! MSX hardware has notorious shortcomings regarding screen scroll, so it was preferred to skip this part and even so, I have to say, the gameplay is solid enough and I dare say it plays more like SF2 than any of the official Amiga ports we had. So, at this point the mighty Amiga is behind a 8-bits computer regarding SF2... Something should be made regarding this.

AdSense AdSense