English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 January 2007, 11:02   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

The Amiga is dead. Long live the Amiga!

Stumbled across this article on the enquirer. Does a lot of 'summing up' of where the Amiga is (if anywhere!) and makes mildly interesting reading

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36685
Old 09 January 2007, 11:08   #2
Soul_scientist

Nice read, cheers
Old 09 January 2007, 12:09   #3
P-J

Quote:
If you need a low-resource, high-performance Internet-ready graphical embedded or kiosk OS, even in 2007, you could do a lot worse than check out the world of the Amiga.
That right there kind of sums it up for me
Old 09 January 2007, 17:46   #4
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
final update released, does that mean it's released? No not realy. Does it mean NO MORE UPDATES? Yes. Does that mean the OS4 PPC idea is dead? Most likly. No new hardware and only for people that already have OS4..... not exactly HUGE news, IMO. Or positive as it looks like the fight over a dead horse between amiga unc and hyperon is long from over...

Kiosk OS? can you buy a newspaper and MAD magazine from it? Do they sell smokes? LOL.
Arent there many embeded OS's that actualy run a bunch of modern and legacy CPU's? Sometime haging in tha amiga scene feels like time travel. This would have been HUGE news in 1996.
Old 09 January 2007, 17:49   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Really nice read!!! Good find!!!

Like the part where Amiga was only multimedia computer while PC had CGA with only beep for sound and Mac black/white screen.
Old 09 January 2007, 18:00   #6
superBuster
superFreak

WOW, how untrue! I worked in germany at that time, making tools and protypes of new BMW's I could have sworn we hade a huge digitizer hooked up to an IBM PC (NOT and Amiga) that we built the CAD models on. This silly little PC was then hooked up to a huge machine that would actualy carve the piece we designed! I think at the end it went "BEEP" LOL. I wanted to use an amiga, but it was mainly used for games back then, thye did not have the software to pull this off at the time.
Old 09 January 2007, 19:00   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

And that was what killed amiga in commercial sector: lack of proper busines software.
Old 09 January 2007, 20:15   #8
Ultron
Something

Ah, this newsbit got censored - deleted - on some fanatic AOS4 sites like the "Amigans" nutball factory. Truth hurts, i guess.

I whish the Amiga had died and been buried years ago, in the late 90's even. Today we'd have a much higher quality emulation\retrogaming scene.
Old 09 January 2007, 20:50   #9
superBuster
superFreak

not to go of topic to much, but it was not ONE thing that killed the amiga.... fact is somebody could have writen the software but did not. People did write tons of cool games... so what was the amiga? a game console or a computer, who knows, I still don't know. Don't care the damn thing was a blast and started my VFX career! Think aout it if you needed a mission critical application for tons of cash and then you had a meeting with commodore and IBM what do you choose?
Hmmmmmmmm
give me an amiga ( I'll take it home) and let me do the mission critical stuff on IBM....
Old 10 January 2007, 03:44   #10
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Sometimes I just wish I knew what the future was for this machine. It always seems to be uncertain, but it's constantly toying with my emotions and it makes me sad.
Old 10 January 2007, 03:53   #11
superBuster
superFreak

@boing_1000 , it's simple, there is no future, just yesterday and yesterday was great. there is NOTHING nill that points to any future beyond what we have, why can't people understand, GAME OVER. Now enjoy the legacy the awsome machine has to offer and know thats all your ever gonna get. The future is already here, for me it's linux. Amiga was inspired by unix, so it makes sense to return to the that root and boy has it grown..... way beyond amiga, and I don't mean that in a bad way..... time travel is the only way you can save the amiga..... check that thread
Old 10 January 2007, 04:08   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing_1000
Sometimes I just wish I knew what the future was for this machine. It always seems to be uncertain, but it's constantly toying with my emotions and it makes me sad.
After all this crap and hilarity that is the new amiga and OS 4, and you still cannot understand the reality of it, I surmise you'll be guessing the "future" of it when you are 80.
Some people just cannot let go.
Old 10 January 2007, 07:36   #13
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
After all this crap and hilarity that is the new amiga and OS 4, and you still cannot understand the reality of it, I surmise you'll be guessing the "future" of it when you are 80.
Some people just cannot let go.
Just why the hell are you here Fred? .. honestly, every single one of your posts that i see is just cynical, defeatist & completely depressing!.

Please go do us all a favour on here and bungie off a 200 foot cliff using a 240 foot rope.
Old 10 January 2007, 08:28   #14
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
Just why the hell are you here Fred? .. honestly, every single one of your posts that i see is just cynical, defeatist & completely depressing!.

Please go do us all a favour on here and bungie off a 200 foot cliff using a 240 foot rope.
No.
I love my life, it's good, I make great money and I meet nice girls.
You? well.....
You are worthless. You are a fanatic. Your life revolves around a shitty hopeless dream. Since it's a crashed dream, why not slit your wrists, since your pathetic dream is gone to shit.
Old 10 January 2007, 09:07   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Can we not just leave this thread as a link to an article and people saying "ooh nice article"?

We've had hundreds of threads involving people who believe in new Amiga and people who don't, it just ends in flaming!
Old 10 January 2007, 10:09   #16
blade002
Zone Friend

I wrote something long and detailed for you Fred, but ive come to the conclusion your just draining. If i stuck you next to someone healthy they would be dead in about an hour, so im just going to let this be...

Last edited by blade002; 10 January 2007 at 10:25.
Old 10 January 2007, 10:37   #17
Slayer
Amiga Member

@KG

likewise I'm sure, the truth is though, the entire board should be reviewed, as I've said many times in the past... either change the name to English Emulation Board (where people can freely express whatever they want regarding any cpu and emulation they want - with my blessing) OR mods/staff begin doing there jobs (as far as I'm concerned) and delete any material anti-Amiga related...

hell, give me the job, I'd love to simply delete any post of this nature not giving it one thought... eventually most people wouldn't bother pouring there energy into a deleted end... not unlike the apparent demise of the Amiga in which they seem to so fondly convey to everyone... it makes me wonder who it is that actually can't let the Amiga go...

I say let the Amiga people enjoy the machine and let those that have moved on actually move on, with the help of enforced moderation...

freedom of speech belongs in an open forum... not an Amiga named forum...
Old 10 January 2007, 10:48   #18
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
@KG

likewise I'm sure, the truth is though, the entire board should be reviewed, as I've said many times in the past... either change the name to English Emulation Board (where people can freely express whatever they want regarding any cpu and emulation they want - with my blessing) OR mods/staff begin doing there jobs (as far as I'm concerned) and delete any material anti-Amiga related...

hell, give me the job, I'd love to simply delete any post of this nature not giving it one thought... eventually most people wouldn't bother pouring there energy into a deleted end... not unlike the apparent demise of the Amiga in which they seem to so fondly convey to everyone... it makes me wonder who it is that actually can't let the Amiga go...

I say let the Amiga people enjoy the machine and let those that have moved on actually move on, with the help of enforced moderation...

freedom of speech belongs in an open forum... not an Amiga named forum...
Perfectly said
Old 10 January 2007, 11:28   #19
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well I personally disagree with that. I use the Amiga for playing Games and nothing much else (apart from DPaint) and I've had plenty of problems along the way. I feel an Amiga board should allow people to express both negative and positive views on the current state of the Amiga.

I personally have no interest in new Amigas, I don't think they offer anything 'Amiga' at all, and I'm entitled to that opinion. I feel I should be able to post that opinion here.

Granted some recent posts have gone too far, but an outright ban on Amiga negativity is a stupid idea.
Old 10 January 2007, 11:34   #20
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
I personally have no interest in new Amigas, I don't think they offer anything 'Amiga' at all, and I'm entitled to that opinion. I feel I should be able to post that opinion here.
But they arent really opinions they are just verbal diatribe and labeling of members as fanatics and on occasion the word losers gets thrown in. An opinion is based upon the issue at hand not personal labeling and jibes at the members that frequent the forum.

Its clear that some people in here have Zero interest in the Amiga other than games, and if thats the case they are never going to have a positive opinion about others who use it for other means such as the OS, so there is very little reason to make a comment.