English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 04 July 2011, 13:27   #41
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDelusion View Post
Ordered, and I hope this one hold my Flicker Fixer better as with my A603, it seems REALLY sensitive and I constantly have to open up my 600 and adjust it to get a proper display.
Sounds like you have a contact problem. Try cleaning the A600 connector with a pencil eraser.

Quote:
Also I could never get my Subway to work before, I even had to shave off some of the plastic to make the cable it fit under the Flicker fixer and plug in proper. I kinda gave up on trouble shooting all that so hopefully this will resolve those issues as well.
I'd expect that, yes. I have just uploaded the required update to subwayusb.device to the website, along with the English and German installation instructions. English and German are both included in printed form with every A604. A French translation is in the works - thanks to Relec (Switzerland) for this service. Once that's available, I'll also upload it to the site.

Quote:
P.S. Does this mean that the USB will now be a lost closer to USB 2.0 speeds? I.E. would CD or DVD burners be a possibility?
Don't expect too much. The screenshot I've posted last week shows that it's considerably faster, but that doesn't mean that it flies. It merely goes from "annoyingly slow" to "can deal with it when in the right mood". If you define the "right mood" as the "retro kind of mood", you'll like it ;-)

Jens
Old 04 July 2011, 22:22   #42
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I presume you are talking about this page of your's right?

http://www.icomp.de/home/indexe.htm

I'm having trouble finding the update for the subway here. In fact I can't find anything about the Subway at all. Could you point me in the right direction?
Old 04 July 2011, 22:48   #43
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Manual EN:
- http://icomp.de/products/a604/A604_English.pdf

Manual DE:
- http://icomp.de/products/a604/A604_Deutsch.pdf

subwayusb.device for secondary clockport:
- http://icomp.de/products/a604/subwayusb.device
Old 05 July 2011, 00:45   #44
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

THankx!

It's been a while...

so do I just drop this device file into my DEVS directory?
Old 05 July 2011, 07:10   #45
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Not to just "Devs:"

"Devs:USBHardware/" and replace the existing device put by Poseidon.
Old 11 July 2011, 14:15   #46
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

A604 received today! What a nice designed product! I can't wait going home to give it a test

Btw Jens (not that I care much but more out of curiosity) what is the empty U4 chip spot designed for ?
(Unless it's for an alternative RTC like OKI-M6242B to the already surface mounted RTC of Epson)
Old 11 July 2011, 14:19   #47
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Btw Jens (not that I care much but more out of curiosity) what is the empty U4 chip spot designed for ?
(Unless it's for an alternative RTC like OKI-M6242B to the already surface mounted RTC of Epson)
Correct, some have an OKI chip others have the Epson SMD chip.
Old 12 July 2011, 07:18   #48
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Got mine today, am about to install and test, WOOO!!!!
Old 12 July 2011, 22:24   #49
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Alright, first off I will say that I love the new design, it makes a LOT more sense than the last design and is a lot smaller!

With that said, I did notice that the Flicker Fixer began to act the same as with the 603 right off the bat. I booted, got the Flicker Fixer boot screen clear and inviting upon the screen, and then went to a red screen. I then opened the case and moved the card around till I got a Work Bench screen, but then this had lines going through it and the lines moved each time I pressed the Flicker Fixer down (Damn these things are sensitive). After a while I rebooted, got a red screen again, so I pressed on the card and finally I got a Work Bench screen without lines, and so far it has stayed there.

Might there be some way I can secure the FLicker Fixer to the card so that it doesn't move so much as a millimeter? I'd love to put my 600 back together but fear that I'm just going to have to open it again someday when I take it to a show and the flicker fixer comes loose.

Also I installed my Subway again, updated the Subwaydevice file, etc.

Still nothing. Trident is reporting this:

12:25 AM| 0-poseidon.library: Welcome to poseidon 4.4 (13.2.10) © 2002-2010 by Chris Hodges (20100213)!
12:25 AM| 0-poseidon.library: Event broadcaster started.
12:25 AM| 0-poseidon.library: PoPo kicks ass.
12:26 AM| 10-poseidon.library: Failed to load config from 'ENV:Sys/poseidon.prefs'!
12:26 AM| 5-Trident: Forcing a DirScan for (new) classes, as you probably updated to a newer version.
12:26 AM| 5-poseidon.library: ClassScan attempted with no classes installed!
12:26 AM| 20-OnlineSupport: No TCP/IP stack running!
12:26 AM| 20-OnlineSupport: No TCP/IP stack running!

Yet, I swear to God that EVERYTHING is where it should be!

I also posted the info about the Subway side of things to AmigaKit.
Old 13 July 2011, 00:00   #50
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Subway runs just fine on my A600 with A604. I only replaced the old "subwayusb.device" with the new one and voila!
Have you tried removing the device from Trident and reinstalling it again? Is your device on the correct spot? ("Devs:USBHardware/" and replace the existing device.)
Old 13 July 2011, 00:23   #51
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Might there be some way I can secure the FLicker Fixer to the card so that it doesn't move so much as a millimeter?
The flickerfixer should not move a single millimeter, even if some force is applied in operation. Maybe it's not pushed all the way down, maybe the middle socket is missing (check your old A603!). It does take some force to push it all the way into the A604's socket, but if you have the A604 version with the SMD RTC chip, then the middle socket, which is normally under Indivision ECS, is mandatory in order to lift the VGA connector above the RTC chip.

Jens
Old 13 July 2011, 22:22   #52
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I "think" I got it, subway and all! Thanks!
Old 17 July 2011, 22:27   #53
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Still not having any issues, and I've got my 600 screwed back together and everything!

For those who have not bought this yet, I HIGHLY suggest it! The design is a thousand times better than the design of the 603, I didn't feel at any time like the parts were not meant to fit together, plus my Flicker Fixer has not came loose again which is also a plus!

The USB seems plenty fast for me, though I have no idea how fast it was before this card released.

All in all I really can not complain, I've got about $800 dumped into my humble little Amiga 600 and I'm loving it!!!!
Old 11 September 2011, 06:11   #54
AmigaDave

I looked through this thread quickly again to see if my question had already been asked and answered, but didn't see it, so I will type it here.

I am finally home and ready to install my A604 memory expansion w/IndivisionECS & Subway and noticed that the Indivision socket on the A604 is tilted. Is this normal, or has my A604 been manufactured incorrectly?

I don't want to install it if it needs to be repaired first. Has anyone else noticed a tilted Indivision socket on their A604?
Old 11 September 2011, 08:31   #55
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Ofc it's normal!
A604 is designed that way (with a slight angle on the socket) so the installation of Indivision ECS would be ideal without blocking other components.
Check out installed on mine to see that the angle exists just fine!
It's just brilliant and awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03471.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	29425 Attachment 29426

Last edited by mfilos; 02 February 2012 at 13:15.
Old 11 September 2011, 12:22   #56
Schoenfeld
electricky.

We had to build special tools to hold every part in place during wave soldering. Took quite some adjusting and CNC programming to create the frames and tools but it all worked out perfectly. Both my assembly partner and I have learned a lot in the past few years, and we were extremely satisfied how well all these preparations have turned out.

Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	socket_tilt.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	29427   Click image for larger version

Name:	solderframe.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	29428   Click image for larger version

Name:	solderframe_closed.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	29429  
Old 11 September 2011, 12:33   #57
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
We had to build special tools to hold every part in place during wave soldering. Took quite some adjusting and CNC programming to create the frames and tools but it all worked out perfectly. Both my assembly partner and I have learned a lot in the past few years, and we were extremely satisfied how well all these preparations have turned out.

Jens
Thanks for sharing these pics jens, it's always great to see how thing are made

At some point I will replace my A603 + Kippers adapter for an A604

Steve.
Old 11 September 2011, 12:45   #58
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
At some point I will replace my A603 + Kippers adapter for an A604
Why?
Old 11 September 2011, 12:50   #59
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Why?
Faster access to the Subway USB and neater solution. Plus with Kippers adapter I cannot screw in the earthing cable and I don't really want to solder a wire to the IndiECS, but for now it's working fine without earthing.