English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 July 2004, 09:42   #1
Tolismlf

Lionheart:the most wronged Amiga game ever

I think that one of the most (if it is'nt the MOST) wronged Amiga games ever is Lionheart of Thalion software
http://www.cus.org.uk/~alexh/games/l...ionheart2.html
This one is surely the best (from technical point but also in gameplay)
platform/arcade adventure on the Amiga.
Surely even the Beast 1 doesn't have these graphics! NO console (16 bit) game has these graphics!
Not to mention the sound is INCREDIBLE and the game is very playable contrary to the Beast which is a graphic playable demo in my opinion!
Old 11 July 2004, 21:08   #2
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Man the coppers were amazing in LIONHEART
Old 11 July 2004, 21:13   #3
oldpx

Agreed but it's a 93 game, things weren't good for amiga gaming at that time. I think there is an in game text about the terrible possible future of the amiga gaming scene, blaming piracy because of that. Beast however had enough time and user base to be popular. One thing I don't agree is gameplay, I always found lionheart a bit unresponsive.

Old 11 July 2004, 21:49   #4
JudasEZT

I always found the game a bit boring.
Old 11 July 2004, 21:55   #5
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
and i think it is to hard to play...

but best graphics i´ve ever seen on an ecs amiga...
Old 11 July 2004, 23:23   #6
StarEye
Zone Friend

When I got to grips with the controls (which are fairly deep and responsive once you get to learn them properly), I thought the game was incredibly playable, and those graphics are of course among the greatest, if not THE greatest on an ECS amiga.

Simply a fantastic game. Too bad I'm too impatient to play a game like this long enough to complete it. Haven't made it past the first level yet. Really must put some more time into this gem.
Old 11 July 2004, 23:29   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas

What do you mean by "most wronged"? Can you explain it in a different way?
Old 11 July 2004, 23:51   #8
Tolismlf

When i say wronged i mean that it wasn't fair for this game not to be one of the Amiga famous.
Well i disagree with the people that say it hasn't good gameplay.
The atmosphere that the game is creating is fantastic.
I never finished it but i had passed 5-6 levels.
And yes it was saying something about the piracy, that it is possible piracy is going to kill the Amiga which is a shame because it is the best computer available, and that everybody was saying them not to give such a good game for a computer that it's market is ruled by a bunch of pirates.
The pirates removed the message in the pirated version of the game!
Old 12 July 2004, 00:56   #9
Marcuz

i never liked the contols and the gameplay. i remember that i often found quite strange back then that developpers invented so many different interfaces for game types that already had stable and tested gameplay. i mean ok you can implement new ideas in one already explored genre, think for instance about strategy - ground control games, without mess the approach, while designers made a point of merit in totally revolutionate the gameplay where not always was needed.
Platforms games had in this case already many exemples of sounding interface, but maybe (and i underline the maybe, as some of you felt it good) Thalion wanted to try something of unneeded different. where is the limit between innovation and [put here the substantive of to force]?
Old 12 July 2004, 00:57   #10
oldpx

LOL that means you had the pirated version No problem, I did I didn't say I agreed with the message you see, I think commodore killed amiga but I've no desire to discuss THAT

Old 12 July 2004, 07:38   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolismlf
Surely even the Beast 1 doesn't have these graphics! NO console (16 bit) game has these graphics!
How fvair is it to compare a ~1989 game to a 1993 game?

The gameplay of Lionheart was run-of-the-mill platforming, and very repetitive at that. As much a tech demo as SotB if you want to.
Old 12 July 2004, 09:40   #12
manicx

Lionheart is my all time favoutite platform/slash em up. All this about repetitive gameplay is something I don't understand. I mean, what makes the gameplay repetitive in the case of Lionheart and not in the case of another platformer? In later stages, you even fly with a dragon and the game becomes a shoot em up. I believe that people who played the game to death, know exactly what I mean. Lionheart also has great controls. I used to play it using a Megadrive gamepad with the second button used for jumping. That was simply excellent...
Old 12 July 2004, 11:34   #13
JudasEZT

Have you played GhostBattle?? its a similar game also from Thalion. Just I found it exaggerately hard.

what can you tell me about this game?? I never seen more than the start of level 1.
Old 12 July 2004, 11:39   #14
derSammler

I never liked Lionheart. Too hard, too boring and by far too slow... The graphics were nice, but it needs more than that to be a good game.
Old 12 July 2004, 13:19   #15
the wolf
Just Leeching

I really enjoyed Lionheart. Never finished it because it's a bit frustrating (overall), and I don't like at all the main sprite... can't explain well, but it's...ugly!
No way to compare it to Beast. I know there are so many years between these two games, but Akira is wrong, IMHO.
Beast was an incredible piece of art and programming, but the gameplay was really inexistant. You MUST know the right way to complete the game, where are all the traps, the enemies...you MUST have the whole game in your mind if you want to finish it, because you have a single life!!!
Lionheart is more like Turrican... you feel more "free" to move without the anxiety in having the finger ready to push the trigger of your joystick...
Old 19 July 2004, 13:23   #16
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Although I only ever played it in demo form, I think the comments about the controls, & (more so), the age/lateness of the game hit the nail on the head. Quite obviously a nice game, but with so many other platformesque run & jump type games it was never destined to "convert the masses" ala SOTB, or stand out in the way Turrican 1/2 defined the platform shoot'emups.
Old 19 July 2004, 17:23   #17
WayneK

Some of the best pixelled graphics of it's day, simply the best looking amiga game ever I think. Also amusing that a publisher like Thalion (which was formed by the best & brightest of the Atari ST cracking scene, The Exceptions, TNT Crew, DeltaForce, TCB, etc) should complain about piracy killing the Amiga... oh, the irony.
Old 20 July 2004, 09:07   #18
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK
Some of the best pixelled graphics of it's day, simply the best looking amiga game ever I think. Also amusing that a publisher like Thalion (which was formed by the best & brightest of the Atari ST cracking scene, The Exceptions, TNT Crew, DeltaForce, TCB, etc) should complain about piracy killing the Amiga... oh, the irony.
Erm, Thalion was formed on the basis of ST Demo crews, not the cracking scene.The Exceptions, DeltaForce, TCB etc have been demo crews...
Old 03 August 2004, 12:30   #19
Freakyweakywoo
(c) killergorilla 2007

I missed this game the first time around but I have played it recently, and I wasnt impressed. The guy uses his sword like he has no arms, I found in very tricky to kill anything without taking a hit. After abit of practice I started to get my combat together, but by this time I was getting board of jumping around. Not for me but then again I'm not much of a platform gamer anyway.

Is the whole game just jumping around killing things or is there a SoB II talking to people element too?
Old 03 September 2004, 13:22   #20
adamst85

Hi Amiga Lovers.
My name is Adam and I'm oldschool gamemaniac from Poland. Amiga was one of the best comps or gamemachines I've ever played. So many brilliant games .

I agree that Lionheart is one of the most underrated games on Amiga. For me it's one of the best amiga games ever! And believe me - i've played a lot of them. (Hi hi -only pirate games were in late 80's and early 90's in my country. Later wasn't better with original games. Polish shitgames and budget hits, sometimes mega hits like Alien Breed 2).

I finished Lionheart 2 times (it had two endings) or more. This game was the best fantasy platform/slash'em up game on Amiga. Graphics - totally amazing (ECS!!). Music: very, very good - like movie soundtrack. Controls - difficult for first time, complicated but variable - when you get to learn them - just perfect!.
Gameplay is repetitive?? Oh no - flying on dragon, riding on dino, superb bosses, flying ships (like in Thorgal comic), variable levels - swamps, city, lava, jungle, towers with water, castles, many secrets to discover, two different endings. Lionheart's gameplay isn't repetitive.

I completed many Amiga platformers (Gods, Turricans 2,3, Toki, Soccer Kid, Arabian Nights, Myth, Lolly Pop and more) and for me - Lionheart is the best amiga platform game. 96%/100 %. Must a have for fans of platform/slash'em up games.

Greetings to ALL and sorry for my english .