English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 October 2006, 19:46   #1
L33

A600 video/display problem

Hi all,
Have just been 'done' on ebay, bought a "perfectly working" a600 which has a dead floppy drive and a display problem and the seller is not responding to mails etc.
Anyway, I've confirmed the floppy problem is indeed the drive by modifying a PC HD floppy drive, fitting it, and it works just fine (doesnt fit the case, but I can pick up another amiga floppy drive for it). However the video problem I cant solve:
Upon powering the machine up, the screen is initially turquoise, and when the kickstart screen appears there is clearly no red signal at all (background is dark blue, text is turquoise, no red in the amiga logo). Has anybody seen this before, or can recommend things to try? Loading games etc etc makes no difference, there is never any red present!

Many thanks!

Old 19 October 2006, 20:07   #2
JonSick

It sounds to me like a problem with the modulator. Not having it in front of me kinda makes it not an easy as pie diagnosis, but I would assume anything from a bad cap or resistor or possibly a cold solder joint on the modulator.

Crack her open, take some pics and get the voltmeter out. Amigas have quite a basic circuit design. I would assume its quite close to the A1200 design.

Jon
Old 19 October 2006, 22:02   #3
L33

Forgot to mention that I'm using the composite output, sorry! I'm guessing the RF modulator would not affect this? I've tried but was unable to get a picture /unable to tune in when using the RF lead

Old 19 October 2006, 23:44   #4
patrik

Try a RGB scart and see if the problem still is there. A RGB scart is recommended anyhow as it gives a much better picture quality.
Old 01 November 2006, 17:00   #5
L33

Sorry guys have been away. Thanks very much for the replies, unfortunately I've tried all video connections (RF, composite RGB scart and RGB on a 1084s) and all have the same problem
Any further ideas?

Thanks again!