English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 May 2010, 15:49   #1
Peter1982

Amiga and retro consoles emulation on PSP - newbie questions

Hello all,
I found this site accidentally (searching for Amiga emulation tips) and I am suprised how many people use Amigas in 2010! My questions are not Amiga related so much (I downloaded latest version of WinUAE so expect few newbie questions during next few days ), feel free to move/delete/put somewhere else this thread if its not in proper category :-)

My Game Boy Advance died last weekend and I am considering buying new handheld machine, for playing not only Game Boy games, but also Sega Game Gear games and games from other handheld systems. PSP seems to be the best choice, I surfed a little and found PSP emulates almost every existing gaming system Including Amiga (that I owned in 90s, Amiga 500+, then 600, and finally 1200, still greatest computer I have owned :-))!!!

1. Can you, experienced PSP Amiga emulators users, tell me, if following games work under PSPuae (I guess its the best emulator so far) with no problems? They are my favourites and I prefer playing mostly action/shooters games on handheld system.

Shooters:
Banshee, Apidya, Agony, Apocalypse, XP8, Super Stardust, Xenon 2 Megablast, R-Type, Project X, SWIV, Battle Squadron, Tubular Worlds, Disposable Hero, Silkworm, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike.

Chaos Engine, Commando, Operation Wolf, Operation Thunderbolt, Turrican 1,2,3, Alien Breed 1,2, Tower Assault, Cannon Fodder 1,2, Walker.

Platformers and beat em up games:
Shadow of the Beast 1,2,3, Batman the Movie, Last Ninja 2,3, Moonstone, Lionheart, Aladdin, Lion King, Leander, International Karate, First Samurai, Second Samurai, Entity, Doman, Shadow Fighter, Yo! Joe!, Super Frog, Arabian Nights.

Rest:
Lotus Turbo 1,2, Pinball Fantasies, Pinball Dreams, Pinbal Illusions, Slamtilt, Stunt Car Racer, Retee 2, Zool, Dynablaster, Super Cars, Indy Heat, Nigel Mansell's Championship, F17 Challenge.

2. Or, that is maybe better question, is there a something like compatibility list (working games, bugs, problems and so on)?

3. And what about NES, Master System, SNES, Mega Drive, Game Gear, Atari Lynx, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, do these systems run on PSP under emulators flawlessly?

Thank you for answers (and sorry for noob questions) :-)

Last edited by Peter1982; 21 May 2010 at 17:35.

Old 21 May 2010, 17:12   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You don't fancy going back and adding a few line breaks do ya
Old 21 May 2010, 17:14   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

First of all : Hi and welcome to EAB Peter1982.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1982 View Post
Banshee, Apidya, Agony, Apocalypse, XP8, Super Stardust, Xenon 2 Megablast, R-Type, Project X, SWIV, Battle Squadron, Tubular Worlds, Disposable Hero, Silkworm, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Shadow of the Beast 1,2,3, Chaos Engine, Commando, Operation Wolf, Operation Thunderbolt, Batman the Movie, Last Ninja 2,3, Moonstone, Turrican 1,2,3, Alien Breed 1,2, Tower Assault, Cannon Fodder 1,2, Lotus Turbo 1,2, Walker, Lionheart, Pinball Fantasies, Pinball Dreams, Pinbal Illusions, Slamtilt, Aladdin, Lion King, Leander, Stunt Car Racer, International Karate, Retee 2, First Samurai, Second Samurai, Entity, Doman, Shadow Fighter, Zool, Yo! Joe!, Super Frog, Dynablaster, Super Cars, Indy Heat, Arabian Nights, Nigel Mansell's Championship, F17 Challenge.
Are you serious? Couldn't you at least make a line based list? Good luck finding someone that is patient enough to go through that list
Old 22 May 2010, 19:56   #4
radon_22

Amiga emulation on the PSP is pretty mediocre, in my opinion. Several of the games you mentioned has ST versions though, and you'll find that many of them play quite nicely.

Even better, the Genesis/Megadrive, SNES, or Playstation version of several of those games would be be more enjoyable, and you'll find the emulation to be near-flawless.

The custom chips and drive access routines make Amiga emulation on handhelds more of a novelty than anything else. There's just too much going on for something like the PSP, DS or iPhone to handle it effectively.

On an unrelated note, C64 emulation is superb.