English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 December 2017, 22:37   #1
jagLally

how good is BenQ912 Benq702A image quality

I have a Dell 2047wfp monitor which is old but still very good in it's own right. I finally got it to display a picture from Amiga 500 and 1200 using a SCART to HDMI converter box from ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-720P-1.../253087961701?. I'm using the SCART RGB cable from AmigaKit and it's converting to HDMI 720p or 1080p.

I'm mindful of the fact that I'm trying to get an image from an old computer that was designed to display on CRT. But still the picture quality is barely acceptable to me. The image is a little blurry (window borders & edges & text) to my eyes and it shimmers around the mouse pointer when it's moving. I'm still playing around with sharpness etc to see if I could improve it. It doesn't have that computer image crispness and looks more like those old VHS home video images.

From my searching it appears that BenQ 702A or BenQ912 are used a lot. I'm thinking a new monitor rather than an expensive scan converter/doubler. Would spending money on a BenQ912 with a VGA adaptor from Amibay http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...l-23pin-conns) really improve the quality; or is the original signal quality simply not good enough and what I got is good as it gets?

I realised it's not a question someone can answer directly but I'm interested in opinions of people with BenQ912 or BenQ702A in regard to the quality they get.

Is the image pin sharp and shimmer free? Does it look like a crisp computer image similar to "normal" windows/linux etc? Would you recommend it? If you were starting from scratch, how would you connect your Amiga to which monitor for best quality?

Last edited by jagLally; 21 December 2017 at 22:46.
Old 21 December 2017, 22:57   #2
Daedalus

I would suspect the blurriness you're getting is a side-effect of the SCART cable and/or HDMI upscaler. With a good quality VGA cable and adaptor, you do get a pretty crisp, shadow/ghost free and rock solid image from Amigas. Bear in mind however that no LCD monitor displays the Amiga's native resolution, so there will almost always be some sort of scaling artefacts, which can appear as blurry edges or double pixels, depending on the monitor.

To be clear, I don't have a Benq monitor, but I do have a Dell U2410 that I connect my Amigas to directly via the VGA port. The image it gives is pretty excellent - it doesn't look as good as a CRT, but it's as good as you're going to get without something like an Indivision.
Old 22 December 2017, 07:41   #3
ajk

In my experience the image is nice and stable. But it is somewhat dependent on the particular Amiga, sometimes you can't tune the image exactly right and are left over with some slight striping, especially on finely detailed patterns like some of the Workbench default backdrops.

Of course, it's not pixel perfect unless you can actually output an exact resolution. With an Indivision and a 1024x768 monitor you can achieve that for Workbench usage, but not generally for games.

Last edited by ajk; 22 December 2017 at 07:57.
Old 22 December 2017, 14:58   #4
jagLally

Thanks for the images. I suspected the quality was due to the cheap HDMI conversion but needed second opinion. I was hoping it would be good enough.

I bought a BenQ 702A on eBay. It was cheap enough for an impulse buy. Ordered the adapter as well. Both should arrive after Xmas.

Hopefully the fun can finally begin.