English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 30 July 2023, 10:33   #1
MarkT

Monkey Island - no sound when loading from HD?

Hi,

I've encountered a strange problem when loading The Secret of Monkey Island (Kixx version) from Hard Disk or via Workbench: for some reason there's no sound. However, when I load the same game direct from floppy it works fine!

Hardware I'm using...
  • A2000 with 1MB Chip
  • A2630 with 4MB Fast (it's a full 25MHz 68030 with MMU and FPU)
  • GVP A2000-HC Series II SCSI card with upgraded v4.15 ROM
  • ZuluSCSI with a 1GB image file on it, split into 100MB and 900MB partitions (set up was with GVP FastPrep originally)
  • Conventional DF0
  • Gotek DF1
  • A2088 Bridgeboard

Software
  • WB3.1 (motherboard has a 3.1 ROM in it too).
  • I'm using ADF images I've taken from the original disks using a Greaseweazle in all cases. I've no reason to believe these images are corrupted, but I suppose it is possible.

Where've I been on this diagnostic journey so far?
  • As I said at the top, if I load up Workbench and then launch the game (installed on DH1) then there's simply no sound at all.
  • Everything boots fine from the Hard Drive and I've installed a few other programs on there that also work okay. Audio hardware is fine and I've even checked with AmigaTestKit.
  • On the A2000, loading directly from the Gotek image on DF1 is fine. However, if I load Workbench first then the game from hard disk or floppy then there's no sound.

On WinUAE with a similar setup to my actual hardware (I can't precisely replicate all of it) I also get this odd behaviour. Note I'm using the same SD card here as on my ZuluSCSI, just on a USB adapter.
  • Booting direct from ADF [or SCP] image is fine.
  • Loading WB first and then the game from hard drive gives no sound.
  • Loading WB first and then the game from a floppy image gives no sound!

Is this a 3.1 issue maybe?
Old 30 July 2023, 11:11   #2
Seiya

the game run also with 3.x

One you have installed the game from install script, use dopus and copy manually file from disks. Maybe some files are not copied from floppy to HD.
If you boot from the same floppy disk and music are there, for sure something wrong with instalation.
Old 30 July 2023, 11:13   #3
MarkT

Quick update - the problem also goes away if I downgrade from a 68030 to 68000 in WinUAE. This seems odd as Monkey Island *definitely* worked on my A1200 with 28MHz 68EC030 back in the late 90s and early 2000s (provided you disabled AGA in the early startup menu). That had a quite small capacity 2.5" IDE hard disk in it.
Old 30 July 2023, 11:14   #4
MarkT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
the game run also with 3.x

One you have installed the game from install script, use dopus and copy manually file from disks. Maybe some files are not copied from floppy to HD.
Thanks! I'll give that a try!
Old 30 July 2023, 11:19   #5
MarkT

Have checked and all files are present and are the correct size. There's no evidence of any disk corruption.
Old 30 July 2023, 11:20   #6
Seiya

If also in WinUAE you have the same problems, maybe your adf are bad generated by Greaseweazle and you notice in installation on HD. Try to replace every file.
sometimes there are games corrupted that from floppy working with any features enabled. But when you install on HD there are problems.
Old 30 July 2023, 11:45   #7
MarkT

Thanks, but I've given it a try and it makes no difference sorry! Taking files from the original floppies and overwriting the files on the hard drive still gives no sound on the A2000.

Due to the same ADF image working with either booting direct (avoiding Workbench) or by downgrading to a 68000 in WinUAE, I believe that's reasonable proof that the images are fine.

Maybe this is a speed problem?
Old 30 July 2023, 11:53   #8
Aardvark

Have you tried booting without startup-sequence?
Old 30 July 2023, 11:59   #9
MarkT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Have you tried booting without startup-sequence?
SOLVED!

I was literally about to reply and saw your response. It was Enforcer (installed as part of the A2088XT Janus package I believe). I have no experience of it as the machine is quite new to me, but if I switch it off then everything works fine.

Thanks for all the responses: I should've gone down this startup sequence route earlier but I'm still finding my feet again after a long absence from Amiga usage
Old 30 July 2023, 12:33   #10
daxb

Maybe you haven't enough free chipram? Did you tried the WHDLoad installed version?