English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 February 2009, 21:52   #1
Canyon Matt

Amitrx SCSI blowing fuses on CDTV- HELP!!!!!

Hey gang,

I got tired of being on 800 waiting lists for a HD controller for my CDTV project, so I broke down an bought an Amitrix SCSi on Ebay with a 1GB drive. Problem is, every time I install the drive and then hook up the CDTV to the mains, one of the fuses in the Power Supply blows (the fuse closest to the front of the case). This is without even powering up the CDTV, just drawing power for the LCD display on the front. Remove the Amitrix and replace the fuse, and all is well...

Anybody have any ides on why the CDTV would do this? Since the unit is not on, it can't be the power draw from the drive itself, so it seems like some kind of short at the expansion port. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the expansion port to even guess what might be causing it.

The CDTV itself is pretty basic, but the processor has been upgraded to the 68010, and it has a minimeg Agnus and a super denise.

Help!!!!

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by Canyon Matt; 21 February 2009 at 18:41. Reason: Clarity
Old 22 February 2009, 22:25   #2
Canyon Matt

The plot thickens....

I kept at it (and blew another 5 fuses...) and finally figured out that the drive was plugged in backwards. The mounting holes on the drive only allow it to attach to the board in one orientation (upside down relative to most computers) and the power leads should be at the other end. Since nothing on the board is referenced to pin 1, I plugged it up thinking it was idiot proof. It wasn't.

So reverse everything, shove the board back in with the drive sitting somewhat loose inside the CDTV and....

White screen of death.... CDTV turns on cycles through the grey-dark grey-white and sticks at white and the Disk Drive won't access. Remove AmiTrix, everything works, install card nothing does. Also doesn't matter how the enable/disable switch is set on the back of the AmiTrix. Take Drive off and install card, boots just fine.

Could be a jumper setting, or I could have fried the controller on the Drive when it was plugged in backwards... Anyone know how touchy these SCSI's are to having voltage down the data lines...

I'll post again if I source a new drive!

Matt
Old 22 February 2009, 22:31   #3
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I can't really offer any advice with this but I hope you get it working. Maybe you could try an external SCSI device from the DB25 port on the back?
Old 26 February 2009, 15:14   #4
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Try to run the SCSI controller first without any drive attached. Just to test if it is not toasted.

Then replace the HD, if everything is OK. SCSI devices are very sensitive to power on the data lines, unfortunately.
Old 02 March 2009, 20:44   #5
Canyon Matt

Yeah, I am currently trying to source a new 2.5 in internal SCSI hard drive. There harder to find than virgins in a brothel....

Anybody got one they want to get rid of?
Old 02 March 2009, 20:45   #6
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Didn't old Mac Powerbooks use to run 2.5" SCSI ?

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong - ignore me.
Old 18 March 2009, 21:27   #7
Canyon Matt

I think its the voltage...

Sourced another 2.5in drive.. plugged it in correctly... and got the white screen of death. I did verify through the Amitrix HDConfig program that the SCSI card is working when no drive is installed, so there must be a problem when the drive is added to the mix.

The AMITRIX ReadMe file on the install disk mentions that some CDTV's do a crappy job of providing +5V and may need a pot adjusted inside the power supply. Anybody know how to safely do this and where that pot is? The drive I have is a +5V .7A drive, so it is within the operating specs of the CDTV.

My guess is that the voltage is a bit low and that is causing the system to hang as it tries to power both the SCSI Drive and the external 3.5in drive. Tried to test this by booting off of a CDTV Fish CD, but CDTV titles won't boot with the SCSI controller enabled...

Darn this is harder than it should be!

Anybody out there adjusted a CDTV voltage pot?
Old 18 March 2009, 21:54   #8
rkauer

None that I know, mate.

But probably it will be the only pot you will find inside the CDTV PSU.

If no avail, try a peecee PSU to source the HD.

When a SCSI HD suicide on my A2091 SCSI chain, it takes the SCSI controller chip on the A2091 with it. Damn bugger!
Old 18 March 2009, 22:11   #9
kipper2k

I'm pretty sure i read in another thread that someone else had the white screen issue and it was Toni that said there was a wire not connected somewhere.. cant find the thread now
Old 19 March 2009, 10:59   #10
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yhear I was think that this was the same thread was

basicaly what Toni said was make sure all wires are connected
Old 23 March 2009, 23:55   #11
Canyon Matt

More fun...

Used a digital multimeter to check voltage on the parallel and external ports. Found out the voltage was a bit low (4.96V) so I adjusted the only Pot in the PSU and edged the power back up to a perfect 5.0V on the pins. Actually kind of fun...

Unfortunately didn't solve the problem. System still refuses to boot with a drive attached to the card. Doesn't even seem like the drive is spinning up as I cannot hear any clicking or other noises from the drive, even when hanging out of the back of the CDTV.

My next move is to get an external SCSI box and try the 25pin on the back of the AmiTrix card. I'll try an old SUN or APPLE external enclosure off of Ebay... If that doesn' work then something on the AmiTrix card itself has to be dead.

Also learned something interesting about the CDTV Trackball controller. If you have batteries in it, do not also leave it plugged into the CDTV when the rest of the CDTV is unplugged from the mains. The CDTV will pull power from the batteries and charge up the front panel LCD circuit. Luckily I noticed this before I started messing around inside the CDTV.

More later...
Old 24 March 2009, 05:32   #12
rkauer

I think you still have a power issue: the Amitrix itself is only able to provide 900mA at start (spinning), and half of that while the Amiga is powered on.

Your best bet is adding an external power supply, better is an ATX, which have all power rails regulated.
Old 24 March 2009, 08:18   #13
mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Matt View Post
Also learned something interesting about the CDTV Trackball controller. If you have batteries in it, do not also leave it plugged into the CDTV when the rest of the CDTV is unplugged from the mains. The CDTV will pull power from the batteries and charge up the front panel LCD circuit. Luckily I noticed this before I started messing around inside the CDTV.
More later...
Great find! I did wonder why the front panel kept working while the system was unplugged. Any idea if this applies to the non-volatile memory too, which I think is emptied once the system in unplugged from the mains?