Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 04 February 2018, 11:08   #1
john4p
Competition Moderator

EAB/Lemon Super League 2018: Round 2 - F1

EAB/Lemon Super League 2018: Round 2 - F1

Starts: 00:01 February 4th Finishes: 23:59 February 24th

Rules

Post a picture of your score here with the score written underneath.
Play Leg 1 and Leg 2 of Arcade mode only!
Wing setting, gear transmission, tyres and even difficulty setting are all freely choosable! Keep in mind that higher difficulty yields a higher score.
Add up your best scores of Leg 1 and Leg 2 to get your total score. Enter as often as you like. Only scores achieved during the round's time frame count.

No cheating of any kind (including score leeching) - this includes save states. No continues/passwords allowed. If you suspect anyone of cheating please let us know in private - anyone found guilty will be banned for the entire season.

Remember, anyone can join in at any time. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Downloads

- ADF
- WHDLoad-installed

Extras

- Full rules and FAQ (incorporating the Hall of Fame)
- Results and Standings
- Lemon thread
- Live League Ladder

Leg 1&2 Scores:

Total Results:

Live League table:

Last edited by john4p; 05 February 2018 at 23:21. Reason: added leg 1&2 scores
Old 04 February 2018, 12:28   #2
Amiga68k

Oh man... had a few rounds. Looking forward to the video of NASG already

The speed of this game, phew!
Old 04 February 2018, 13:14   #3
john4p
Competition Moderator

You should definitely play this at Amiga 500 cycle-exact speed if possible...
Old 04 February 2018, 17:14   #4
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Harder difficulty settings make the game go faster.. difficulty level cuts the max speed of your car (and the other cars on track), the higher the difficulty, the faster your car can go. The game is real fun to play on the higher difficulty from what I remember, but you WILL NEED to make use of the brakes. On novice you can take all the tracks with full gas all the time if you know their layout and take corners correctly, but on higher difficulties you'll need to be more careful.

I played the hell out of this on the Mega-Drive, I didn't play the Amiga version that much mainly because of UP TO ACELLERATE, urgh. I don't think anyone could patch this madness in time for the competition, huh? When I got the Mega-Drive cartridge even Vroom seemed outdated because I had better controls now (Both versions aren't identical, but the differences aren't that big. The Amiga version looks better though the way it shows your position on race is kinda lame... it's nice to look at but not very intuitive - also the car on the Mega-Drive version goes flying off the track when you hit it tyre againg tyre in a different way of the Amiga version.... collisions are handled a bit different overall on both versions. Also I prefer the menu music on the Mega-Drive version... )

Also couple of important questions:

1) We are NOT playing Turbo mode, right? Arcade mode but no Turbo, right?
2) I don't remember if this applies to arcade mode... but you have pit-stops in the game, you can brake at the pit and nothing will happen. Use the keyboard to press T to change tires and G to refuel the car.

The keys for Player 2 are different but I guess this won't matter for this competition ('P' and 'E' if you are wondering )

Last edited by Shatterhand; 04 February 2018 at 21:52.
Old 04 February 2018, 17:17   #5
john4p
Competition Moderator

Yep, no Turbo-mode. I think you don't need pit stops in arcade mode so always use soft tyres.

EDIT: I erred on the pit stops. You definitely need them. Drive manually into the pits, stop and press G to refuel gas(oline) and T to change tyres (in Arcade you mostly only need to refuel).

Last edited by john4p; 08 February 2018 at 16:46.
Old 04 February 2018, 18:15   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Yep, no Turbo-mode. I think you don't need pit stops in arcade mode so always use soft tyres.
If you crash a lot you may need to change tyres/refuel (I believe this is even more true on harder levels). Tyres don't wear just by skidding on the track, crashing also wears them out (also wastes some fuel.... very arcade-ish indeed )

If people don't know the game, this isn't very obvious on the Amiga version.. there's a small "T" on the car dashboard at the left side (sometimes it's hidden by the left hand of the driver) When the dot below it goes Yellow it means your tyres are wearied out. If it's red, they are about to blow. The E on the other side shows the status of your engine... I don't think you can blow your engine playing with automatic gears (It happened to me once playing the MD version right at the start of the race with auto-gears and I had no idea what happened there ) and you have to be kinda dumb to do it with manual one Fuel is shown by the green/red bar on top-right of the screen.

I hope lots of people get to know and appreciate this game. IMO this is the best racing game available on Amiga, it's better than Lotus 2, and while it's usually praised, I really think it doesn't get the credit it deserves.
Old 04 February 2018, 19:30   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

1st leg: 45.530
2nd leg: 57.731
TOTAL: 103.261

Still lots of room for improvement

I don't think you can finish either Hockenheim or Spa without doing a pit-stop.
2nd leg has the longer and easier tracks, it should be the most strategic one for scoring points. 1st leg has Imola and Monaco which are kinda troublesome (I always have trouble with Imola in any F1 game, hehe )

EDIT: Only now I saw the Lemon thread with the suggestion to take the screenshot/picture on the Game Over screen. I'll try to do that on my next attempts.

Last edited by Shatterhand; 04 February 2018 at 19:36.
Old 04 February 2018, 19:59   #8
lifeschool
Local Moderator

As the high score tables of both legs look identical, it would be great if players can take a snapshot where it says 'GAME OVER' on the screen. This shows us the leg, the track, and the score, so there can be no confusion. Can people also keep a track of their scores with each post, as this would really help us out.

Leg 1 is: Interlagos, Imola, Barcelona, Monaco, Montreal and Castelet.
Leg 2 is: Silverstone, Hockenheim, Spa, Monza, Estoril and Adelaide.

Shatterhand - Seems like you will wipe the floor this round. NO Turbo, we are playing 1 player normal speed. I was playing Hockenheim today and the car just stopped with a Game Over, so not sure if I ran out of fuel, as my tyres still looked ok. But I'd say pitting in Hock is essential.
Old 04 February 2018, 20:25   #9
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Shatterhand - thanks for understanding the issue with the high score tables. I noticed your file names say image 1 is 01 and image 2 is 02, so they are shown in a different order to your scores. Can you confirm which is which. Is the first image for Leg 2?

Last edited by lifeschool; 04 February 2018 at 21:35.
Old 04 February 2018, 21:44   #10
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Nah, I bet people will show up with amazing scores again If someone manages to master the Expert difficulty it will get a very good score. Back at the day I could play up to the PRO level with some flair, Expert was always too hard to me.

Yes, they are in different order, sorry. Leg 1 is 45.530 and Leg 2 is 57731, it's exactly as I wrote First image is for leg 2. I'll try to take pictures from the Game Over screen, it will make things easier, that was a very good idea indeed

You probably ran out of fuel. I am pretty sure you can't finish Hockenheim without pitting and I believe it's the same thing for Spa .

Back at the day I didn't play the arcade mode too much, I liked playing championships more. On the Mega-Drive version you could play a full championship with all 12 tracks (instead of just half of them), it was more fun this way

Last edited by Shatterhand; 04 February 2018 at 21:51.
Old 05 February 2018, 00:00   #11
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Ok I updated the scores. It still early days, i.e. day 1, so at this stage it doesnt matter at all. But yes I think it would help a lot if we all took shots from the Game Over, and then there can be no mistakes.

I made the score table have two score parts, so we can keep track of Leg 1 and 2 separately. You can see these on the Lemon thread, and I PMd John ask him to update the EAB table image links.
Old 05 February 2018, 03:42   #12
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

1st leg: 45.530
2nd leg: 77.516
TOTAL: 123.046

I SWEAR I tried to take a picture from the Game Over screen, but my cell phone takes too long to load the camera, when I took the picture the game over screen was already off. I'll use an older cell phone that loads everything faster to try to avoid this.

This is a Leg 2 score, if you guys don't want to accept it, I'll understand. It wasn't a very good run anyway, still lots of room for improvement

Also noticed the hi-score table doesn't work at all. It doesn't save any hiscore (not even on ram), any score you make is always 1st position, next game you play the score is deleted and you'll get 1st place again. Very odd.
Old 05 February 2018, 08:45   #13
john4p
Competition Moderator

I fully trust you so it's no problem.

If someone shows the game over screen of Adelaide it doesn't prove he or she didn't use savestates or cheats so this competition doesn't work without trust.

Thanks for the 't'-info!
Old 05 February 2018, 16:47   #14
lifeschool
Local Moderator

The WHD version saves high scores, but you must remember to press the Quit key (perhaps F10 on most systems) to exit the game and save the scores. The high scores can be shown by pressing ESC on either leg, and the table will appear and then stay on the screen until you press fire. I guess if there was previous saved scores, we could see which table players are playing. and this saved any mixups ups in the scores.

Leg 2 is by far the highest scoring of the two legs, so this score is often higher than leg 1. This is because the tracks are longer, so 14k per track is possible Vs 8-10k on leg 1 tracks.

I know images of the game could be savestates or trainer gained, but so can all the scores on any high score table in any game. This is simply a matter of avoiding confusion by showing the stage on screen.
Old 05 February 2018, 17:03   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I'm playing the Floppy version using Gotek. I have no problem taking pictures of the hi-score table, it stays on screen up until you press fire, like you said.

What I found weird is that I played 3 or 4 games with the same settings, without turning off the computer, and everytime I was 1st place with the hi-score board empty.

Maybe it's trying to save the hi-scores on disk and the image is copy-protected?

My CF card is getting corrupted in a few spots, I need to reformat it (and hope it doesn't have any physical problems), and WHDLoad F1 is on the area its corrupt, can't load it unfortunately.
Old 07 February 2018, 14:14   #16
vagrant

Leg 1: 46,348
Leg 2: 55,571
Total: 101,919

I had copies of Vroom & F1 back in the day, but rarely played them for some reason.
Fun game! I tried to be a hero and start on expert difficulty.. it didn't end well.
Seems a pushover on novice, but looks fairly challenging on other modes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.png
Views:	113
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	56690   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.png
Views:	121
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	56691  
Old 08 February 2018, 03:43   #17
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
On novice you can take all the tracks with full gas all the time if you know their layout and take corners correctly
Old 08 February 2018, 04:02   #18
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Wanna see a video?

Ok, maybe not "Full gas", sometimes you may stop acellerating, but you never need to brake
Old 08 February 2018, 04:42   #19
vagrant

Leg 1: 46,348 (novice)
Leg 2: 107,287 (pro)
Total: 153,635

Made it through pro on leg 2, but car still too fragile on expert.. I think something like 4 crashes and you are toast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	112
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	56695  
Old 08 February 2018, 08:54   #20
Graham Humphrey

First go at Novice. Not a bad effort.

'Up' to accelerate is mad, thankfully I have a PSX pad adapter which allows button remapping.

The pitting system is a bit clunky as well, sometimes just getting in them is a challenge but then lunging at the keyboard to change what you want is a bit silly.

Leg 1: 29,504