English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 August 2009, 21:16   #1
DamienD
Banned

LucasArts to release 10 of their classic games on Steam, including 4 SCUMM games

Hey guys,

Was reading one of the MAMEDevs; Aaron Giles's website today when I came across this news posted on the 9th of July, 2009:

Wow, what a pathetically long stretch of time not to post a single thing! Of course, once you have the "not posting" momentum, it's easy to keep on going. So what on earth would make me revive this blog-like news thingy? I mean, it would have to be something so exciting, so astounding, that I'd choose to break my silence and shout it to the world.
What could it be?

Well, as you all know by now, I did a few year stint at LucasArts Entertainment Company, initially working on the Macintosh ports of such illustrious titles as Dark Forces and Full Throttle. But my true love was the LEC adventure games, and so while I was there, I also dove in and ported Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max Hit the Road to the Mac — even though nobody had asked me to.

Flash forward a few years. I had left LucasArts behind for working at Connectix (who were eventually purchased by Microsoft). I happened to run into some of my former LEC colleages and told them, it would be great if we could port all the SCUMM games to modern Windows, just let me know and I'd be happy to make it happen. Nothing came of it initially, but we eventually managed to work something out, and I was given the go-ahead to put together modern Windows-compatible versions of both Full Throttle and Sam & Max.

But why stop there? Being a bit of a completist, you can imagine that I was compelled to get more than just those two games up and running. But LEC decided to focus on the two original games they requested, and they were eventually released in a limited fashion, which was in the end a pretty big disappointment for me, as I had envisioned something much more mainstream. And maybe even involving some of those other games I had ported — even though nobody had asked me to.

Of course, I fully understood the logic behind not releasing the remaining ports I did. After all, for LEC to release them would mean running all the games through QA again, solving bugs, and committing to fixing customers' problems. I periodically pinged my contacts, hinting that they should consider alternate, "unofficial" ways to release the games, but I never really got the sense that anything would ever happen with my ports.
Until a couple of days ago.

That's when LucasArts announced — to everyone's general astonishment — that they were going to release 10 of their classic games on Steam, including 4 SCUMM games (Loom, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis). Of course, I was immediately curious to know if this meant they had revived my now years-old work to port the games, and it turns out that yes, some of my work is finally seeing the light of day! (After some additional improvements and bug fixes by the team at LEC, naturally. Thanks for cleaning up the details, guys!)

I honestly thought this day would never come. And now that it has, well, that's a great excuse to break the radio silence. I only hope that these re-releases are successful enough to warrant a second round. Because, while I can't reveal the titles of the other games I ported, I am somewhat of a completist....

Old 07 August 2009, 01:17   #2
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
ScummVM already did it.
Old 07 August 2009, 01:32   #3
laffer
Zone Friend

I bought the Steam releases but I much prefer ScummVM.
Old 07 August 2009, 02:16   #4
skateblind
Village Idiot

No point but to cash in on old games, at least that Monkey Island Special Edition had work done to it, even if certain parts were crap.

Last edited by skateblind; 07 August 2009 at 11:07.
Old 07 August 2009, 02:45   #5
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

They should re-do X-Wing with modern graphics.
Old 07 August 2009, 08:19   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Dark Forces! I want a up-to-date Dark Forces
Btw : What Firthy said.
Old 07 August 2009, 11:15   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

up to date X-wing would certainly be awesome. The concept of the game is pure genius, throw in the X-Wing VS Tie Fighter multiplay mode and the game would be near perfect. I'd even see EAB multiplay evenings coming back
Old 07 August 2009, 16:44   #8
rsn8887

A new version of Tie Fighter would be neat. Concerning X-Wing, I think X-Wing Alliance is already pretty good, in terms of gfx and stuff.
Old 08 August 2009, 02:18   #9
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I don't think they should release any more scumm remakes I have just been playing Monkey Island Special on my 360 and it's just not right with the new graphics and speech... Lucasarts adventures are my favourite and i don't want them all to be ruined
Old 08 August 2009, 08:27   #10
mailman
Zone Friend

Can anyone explain to me what does the whole thing mean? Am I on the right track thinking that LucasArts is going to release those games for free download but only for Steam community members?
Old 08 August 2009, 08:41   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Am I on the right track thinking that LucasArts is going to release those games for free download but only for Steam community members?
I take it that they will release them the way they did with the Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition (http://store.steampowered.com/app/32360/), but maybe for a smaller price. They wouldn't give their games away for free, now would they
Old 08 August 2009, 11:04   #12
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
http://store.steampowered.com/search...oper=LucasArts
(the Steam hyperlink, in the text DamienD pasted).

Most of the games are at 3.99€.
Old 08 August 2009, 20:17   #13
mailman
Zone Friend

So basically, almost for free