English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 09 April 2024, 19:44   #41
DisasterIncarna

Only amiga i think? someone did a 1 level remake quite some time ago: https://alestes.itch.io/agony-remake-demo
Old 09 April 2024, 22:38   #42
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
"Iconic Amiga games"?

Another World/Out of this World was EVERYWHERE.
I didn't know it back then, it was all Amiga for me. I even saw a documentary in the cable TV when I was at a holiday trip in a ski resort in early 90s where I just randomly chose to watch a French TV channel and it was showing a documentary or news program where Eric Chahi was drawing graphics on an Amiga with DPaint and explaining the game concept.. IIRC it was the lion scene that was shown. I just couldn't wait for it being released after seeing it! It's an Amiga original nevertheless.

But for a game character... I would say SuperFrog, hard to come up with a more well-known Amiga only/original character.
Old 09 April 2024, 22:41   #43
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
Maybe Prince of Persia, although falls into the Lemmings category of available on most formats and was not on the Amiga first either
Prince of Persia rings Apple II to me.
Old 09 April 2024, 22:47   #44
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
I didn't know it back then, it was all Amiga for me. I even saw a documentary in the cable TV when I was at a holiday trip in a ski resort in early 90s where I just randomly chose to watch a French TV channel and it was showing a documentary or news program where Eric Chahi was drawing graphics on an Amiga with DPaint and explaining the game concept.. IIRC it was the lion scene that was shown. I just couldn't wait for it being released after seeing it! It's an Amiga original nevertheless.
Eric Chahi has worked on an Amiga, also to do the rotoscoping, but Delphine Software was heavily Atari ST just like all others french companies at the time.
At the time, Amiga was only catching the Atari ST market share in France.
So what is the real original, we should ask Eric Chahi.
Old 10 April 2024, 00:23   #45
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
Eric Chahi has worked on an Amiga, also to do the rotoscoping, but Delphine Software was heavily Atari ST just like all others french companies at the time.
At the time, Amiga was only catching the Atari ST market share in France.
So what is the real original, we should ask Eric Chahi.
Fortunately for you, someone already have asked him.

https://ichbiah.com/chahi.htm

Quote:
Initially, Chahi hesitates on a point. Should he develop Another World on the Amiga or on the more widely used Atari ST? Before making a decision, he first tries to determine whether it's possible to display enough polygons on the Atari ST. After a few attempts, it turns out that this is entirely feasible.

Despite his initial unconvincing experience with C programming on the Atari, development tools have evolved, but Chahi fails to find what he's looking for.

Moreover, after a few months of experimenting, Chahi eventually opted to create the initial version of Another World on the Amiga.

"The Amiga remained the machine with the best visual and sound rendering. Plus, Deluxe Paint was only available on the Amiga. Additionally, as I had learned at Chip, it was easier to create games with thousands of colors and then reduce that number on another machine, rather than the reverse."
[...]
"It was really makeshift. Fortunately, there are always solutions to problems. Since real-time digitization didn't exist, I used a Genlock that allowed mixing on the Amiga.

In fact, this factor motivated me to work on the Amiga: it was possible to mix a video image and a computer image; the background color revealed the video image."
The Amiga version was the original one (despite Hol strangely claiming that this is "parallel development" against the very words of the author).

Last edited by sokolovic; 10 April 2024 at 00:51.
Old 10 April 2024, 02:08   #46
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post

Only amiga i think? someone did a 1 level remake quite some time ago: https://alestes.itch.io/agony-remake-demo
I wish they would finish the remake.
Old 10 April 2024, 02:38   #47
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Fortunately for you, someone already have asked him.

https://ichbiah.com/chahi.htm

The Amiga version was the original one (despite Hol strangely claiming that this is "parallel development" against the very words of the author).

Thanks, I’m glad to finally know this!
Old 10 April 2024, 04:53   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
Thanks, I’m glad to finally know this!
Might be worth to also read this: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...19&post1669519
'Parallel development' means that it wasn't intended to be released first on Amiga and then got ported to other machines, but rather was developed at the same time on more than one machine. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 10 April 2024, 05:06   #49
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Right, just make sure you read all the posts after that too, seeing as there is no real proof for that claim, which comes from somebody else than Eric, who in turn has yet to be seen on record talking about "parallel development"

In any case, I still fail to understand why the exclusivity is so important for the purpose of this thread. Games like Monkey Island or Another World were huge on Amiga, everybody in the community knew them, they came at the time when Amiga was still influential - so the characters from them are Amiga icons. If some people who grew up with PCs or Megadrives would like to claim them too in their own communities, then that's perfectly fine as well.
Old 10 April 2024, 05:08   #50
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Right, just make sure you read all the posts after that too, seeing as there is no real proof for that claim, which comes from somebody else than Eric, who in turn has yet to be seen on record talking about "parallel development"
Indeed. Don't let the fact that it was released at the same time for both machines fool you

Edit: I've tried to contact Eric about the exact nature of how the ST version was development along side the Amiga version. Hopefully I'll get a response from him.

Last edited by TCD; 10 April 2024 at 05:35.
Old 10 April 2024, 05:34   #51
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Indeed. Don't let the fact that it was released at the same time for both machines fool you
It's entirely possible that ST was ported later, seeing as EC said the game was "edited for the first time [...] on Amiga" and that "Amiga was the first version". Even if not, the Amiga was clearly the lead platform.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one But, I still don't think it matters for the purpose of this topic, as said above. Most big games of the 8-16 bit era were ported to other platforms, it was the business necessity. But if we wanted to use this as the ultimate criteria and only focus on exclusives, then Saboteur would not be a "famous Spectrum game", Pirates! a C64 one, Sundog not ST, Doom not PC, and so on...
Old 10 April 2024, 05:38   #52
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I was just responding to the 'strangely claiming' part of sokolovic's post.
Old 10 April 2024, 05:38   #53
dreadnought

Another great secondary character: Joey the robot/circuit board from Beneath A Steel Sky.
Old 10 April 2024, 17:33   #54
AMIPEGUSER

For me also one of the Lemmings comes first.
Than it is Turrican.
Also the Big Knight from the Intro of the Settlers would be possible.

These three Games made the run into the World from the Amiga.
Old 10 April 2024, 22:29   #55
Photon

Again, I don't see why iconic characters have to be platform exclusive.

Mario was first on arcade, there's a PC game, and Super Mario Wonders is on PS5.
Conclusion: iconic but not from the NES platform, and not exclusively associated with the platform.

Donkey Kong was first on arcade, was released early for PC DOS, and is on virtually every platform.
Conclusion: iconic but not from the NES platform, and not exclusively associated with the platform.

Sonic was first on the Megadrive, and is on PS and PC.
Conclusion: iconic from the Megadrive platform, but not exclusively associated with the platform.

To me, this means that if someone thinks we should remove iconic Amiga characters because they appeared on other platforms before or after, we should at the very least also remove Mario and Donkey Kong from the list of iconic game characters.
Old 10 April 2024, 22:46   #56
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Wow, Nintendo actually made Mario non-exclusive? These truly are strange times we live in.
Old 10 April 2024, 23:12   #57
hitchhikr

The Amiga is the only computer where you can play Bob Dylan. (https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3973) it doesn't get more iconic than that !
Old 11 April 2024, 07:23   #58
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Wow, Nintendo actually made Mario non-exclusive? These truly are strange times we live in.
I can't find any news about that... This would be massive.

OK : this is an unofficial hack, obviously.

Last edited by sokolovic; 11 April 2024 at 10:18.
Old 11 April 2024, 19:08   #59
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I can't find any news about that... This would be massive.

OK : this is an unofficial hack, obviously.
I endeavor to always say true things.

Here is the PC Mario game, also released for NES and SNES. A writer for a games magazine witnessed it.

So, this actually happened, obviously. Because I don't - make - untrue - claims.

I hasten to add that Mario was already non-exclusive, and didn't originate on Nintendo consoles, since the character was on arcade first.

Last edited by Photon; 11 April 2024 at 19:13.
Old 11 April 2024, 19:34   #60
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

There even was a non-educational Mario title on PC in the 90s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario%27s_Game_Gallery