English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 June 2012, 18:15   #1
Svetlana

Slowing down the timing on a NTSC A600?

I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I've looked for some solution to this for a long time without any satisfactory results.
I understand NTSC and PAL Amigas are different, there's the video mode, the timing, etc. Problem is, I unfortunately have a NTSC Amiga while nearly all Amiga games under the sun are made for PAL systems.

My problem however, isn't with the video mode, which is what most fixes out there help you with, but with the timing. So, I'd like to know, is there any way to slow down or somehow change the timing on an A600 without any or much hardware hacking? Programs like Degrader and such only help me with the video mode, which is useless.

I'm running on Kickstart 2.05 (38.350 I believe), WB2.1 on an HDD. I do not have WHDLoad (or the money/means to buy a key). If I need to provide any more information let me know. Thanks in advance!

Old 06 June 2012, 02:17   #2
8bitbubsy

The only solution as far as I know is to change the main oscillator clock from 28.63636MHz (NTSC) to 28.37516MHz (PAL). This requires you to get a 28.37516MHz crystal osc, desolder the old one and solder in the new one. This will probably cause some problems since one or more of the custom chips comes in either an NTSC or PAL version (like Agnus/Fat Agnus/Fat Lady). Maybe the CIA timer chips too, I don't know.

You'd probably want the system to recognize the Amiga as a PAL machine too, of which I'm unsure how to do.
Sorry, but I don't think there's any software solution to this.
Old 06 June 2012, 05:41   #3
alenppc

I am not sure what issues may arise when you boot the A600 in PAL mode, it should be virtually indistinguishable from a regular PAL 50 Hz machine for all intents and purposes...

But more to the point, NTSC A600 are super rare! I have never had the privilege of seeing one (I have 2 PAL A600s, imported from Europe). So I dunno... keep that gem and treat it well
Old 11 June 2012, 11:14   #4
Svetlana

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
I am not sure what issues may arise when you boot the A600 in PAL mode, it should be virtually indistinguishable from a regular PAL 50 Hz machine for all intents and purposes...
AFAIK booting in "PAL mode" (which is only possible with 3.x kickstart, while i have 2.05) only changes the video mode, not the timing.

The problem I'm having here is pretty much every game ever running faster than they should, which is incredibly annoying and makes a NTSC A600, as rare as it is, virtually useless for me.

Old 11 June 2012, 13:47   #5
kipper2k

It is possible to slow down an NTSC machine. All the A600s that i have seen do have the circuitry on board to allow a changeover.

If you go to Stedy's site...

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/sc...chematics.html

you can see a "Pal Goodies" portion of the motherboard that can be altered to convert to Pal. You will still need the slower clock (which is still available) and of course some solder/desoldering is required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svetlana View Post
AFAIK booting in "PAL mode" (which is only possible with 3.x kickstart, while i have 2.05) only changes the video mode, not the timing.

The problem I'm having here is pretty much every game ever running faster than they should, which is incredibly annoying and makes a NTSC A600, as rare as it is, virtually useless for me.