English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 12 April 2020, 12:23   #3281
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Newest version works wonderfully (on v1200 3.9 setup).
Old 12 April 2020, 12:27   #3282
PeterK

Thanks a lot, Steril707

Last night I had another idea how to make the library faster again. Let's see if it's possible to realize this dream?
Old 12 April 2020, 15:05   #3283
apex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Update:

Still cannot reproduce this icon snapshot issue under WinUAE, not even with most of your MuTools running and FastVBR activated. It must depend on other things too, something I can't emulate.

The manual for MuFastZero says: Do not move the VBR (depending on the system). I did it. Next to this I am using a very seldom Derringer with 50Mhz which need a special tool for activating some undocumented features (called D3).

Important is that everything is now working again. :-)
Old 13 April 2020, 14:09   #3284
James

Quote:
The icon.library 46.4.530 can be downloaded from Aminet now.

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4
Thanks!
Look forward to trying this on my A1500 soon.
Working well on WinUAE, have found one icon that displays with AfA but not your library (TC version).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jz...dBJONGKP05fQEp
Old 13 April 2020, 14:42   #3285
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Steril707

Last night I had another idea how to make the library faster again. Let's see if it's possible to realize this dream?
How could you make 'instantaneous' any faster?
Old 13 April 2020, 16:16   #3286
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Working well on WinUAE, have found one icon that displays with AfA but not your library (TC version).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jz...dBJONGKP05fQEp

James no problem for me, your icon with mine AfA OS + Icon.library v46.4.530 By Peter

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 April 2020 at 02:07.
Old 13 April 2020, 17:04   #3287
PeterK

Happy Easter, Carlo ...

but you know that icon_lib.exe is still installed on your AfA_OS and that not my icon.library is displaying this PNG icon.

@James
It's not a "bad" icon, it's just a too wide icon, because it has a width of 260 pixels, and my library will always reject everything bigger than 256x256, which is the AmigaOS limit. AfA_OS just don't cares about it. Some very early versions of my library are still decoding it, but that can cause problems when it needs to be converted into the OS 3.5 format or further into planar images for the WB dragging routines.

Btw, wait a bit with your 1500 tests ... a new update with 35-70% more speed is coming soon. I'm also thinking about a new option like "HoldTCimage1" in memory, since I saw that a cycle-exact emulated A1200@14 is really slow when you click on TrueColor icons and the 1. images have to be uncompressed again after releasing the icons.
Old 13 April 2020, 17:25   #3288
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Happy Easter, Carlo ...
but you know that icon_lib.exe is still installed on your AfA_OS and that not my icon.library is displaying this PNG icon.
Happy Easter to you too

I think instead that your library is working well on my AfA OS, besides showing it "Scout", you can understand it from Dopus4!

AfA OS + Dopus4 + icon_lib.exe with internal command "Icon Info" is not able to see the Dual-PNG icons, AfA OS + Dopus4 + icon.library instead the icon can be seen perfectly !!!

With the James icon AfA OS + Dopus4 + icon.library instead the icon is badly seen !

First screnshotAfA OS + ico.library.exe
Second screnshot AfA OS + icon_lib.exe

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 23 April 2020 at 23:14.
Old 13 April 2020, 18:48   #3289
PeterK

Sometimes it's difficult to explain things to you ...

In 99 % of all cases in your very special AfA_OS configuration the icon_lib.exe is loading and displaying the icons and not my icon.library. But there are a few exceptions like in DOpus4 where my gfx patch is replacing the images, that AfA's icon_lib.exe sends to the blitter, just in time before they are displayed.
Old 13 April 2020, 19:26   #3290
AMIGASYSTEM

It is difficult because of the translation

Let's say that on AfA OS the two libraries co-exist
Old 16 April 2020, 01:44   #3291
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter with my AfA One I tested the new "PatchASL" and with your icon.library the icons in the Request are perfect (see video), with icon_lib.exe the icons are flickering

Tutorial Video: MUI+ PatchASL
Old 16 April 2020, 11:13   #3292
PeterK

Impressive demo video, Carlo

Unfortunately, I don't use MUI 5, just tried it once with the 32 bit Icon Editor, and then have thrown it out soon again ...
Old 21 April 2020, 22:04   #3293
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.531:

A lot of optimization for the TrueColor modes. There are two buffers for both images now. The 2. image will not be uncompressed anymore to examine it before it is drawn (I call that UnderCover mode) The new buffer for the 2. image is created as soon as you select an icon and released when the unselected icon is drawn again, if that is visible in the window. In addition, you can use a new optional command "HoldTCbuffer1" to make the slow icon dragging of the Workbench a little faster, but with a charge of higher memory consumption. All memory is always freed as soon as the window is closed. This new buffer concept can improve speed between 15% on fast machines and 70% on slow Amigas. Even on a cycle-exact emulated A1200@14 the icon loading is already quite good, but WB's dragging routines are still damned sluggish. The WB does countless unnecessary function calls like hundreds of GetIconRectangle(), IconControlA() and DrawIconState() also for all non-selected icons if you just move a few icons around, but I can't fix that. An Amiga with 30-40 MHz and a gfx-card should be able to use TrueColor icons now. Sorry, DOpus5 and the old WB 3.1 won't profit from these changes.

On Aros 68k with Wanderer the disk icons are now also updated when you change the screen mode from RTG to 8-bit or planar. And there are other fixes. Aros can not re-use these buffers yet, because unlike WB it overwrites the ARGB buffers when merging of foreground and background is done. WB writes into the background RGB buffer. I may fix that in the next version. Btw, with another call of "HoldTCbuffer1" it would release the 1. images again after drawing. Atm, the use of these buffers is sometimes limited to images with up to 248 colors, because I'm storing two pointers in the highest 8 bytes of the CLUT. An expanded PalMap structure in the next Aminet release will probably solve this space problem. It's very hard and boring to test each and everything, so please report any new or old bugs.

Have fun ...

Last edited by PeterK; 22 April 2020 at 12:16.
Old 23 April 2020, 13:30   #3294
James

Quote:
It's not a "bad" icon, it's just a too wide icon, because it has a width of 260 pixels, and my library will always reject everything bigger than 256x256, which is the AmigaOS limit. AfA_OS just don't cares about it. Some very early versions of my library are still decoding it, but that can cause problems when it needs to be converted into the OS 3.5 format or further into planar images for the WB dragging routines.
Ok, thanks for the explanation I still think it is a bad icon though.

Quote:
Update to icon.library 46.4.531:
This is great!
Icon speed on my A1500 is much improved. GLQuake even seems faster than I recall.
Had problems running Cyberlemmings, but that might have been caused by something else, need to investigate further...

Quote:
[B]Atm, the use of these buffers is sometimes limited to images with up to 248 colors, because I'm storing two pointers in the highest 8 bytes of the CLUT. An expanded PalMap structure in the next Aminet release will probably solve this space problem.
I noticed DOpus4 icon info and Amidock are displaying less colours. But I guess that this explains that?

Thanks!
Old 23 April 2020, 14:19   #3295
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
This is great!
Icon speed on my A1500 is much improved. GLQuake even seems faster than I recall.
Had problems running Cyberlemmings, but that might have been caused by something else, need to investigate further...
Come on, I can't believe that GLQuake gets a boost from icon.library ...
... and I don't know what happens with Cyberlemmings, because I never play any games. Tell me, if there is a problem with tooltypes or similar, I didn't check out any "applications".

Quote:
I noticed DOpus4 icon info and Amidock are displaying less colours. But I guess that this explains that?

Thanks!
Yes, I can confirm that loss of TrueColors for the 1. image in DOpus4 if the icon has two images, and I've seen that already once before. Ok, that needs some investigation, too. Probably the same issue with Amidock, which I don't use here. On WB 3.1 the TrueColor even comes back after selecting and unselecting the image in DOpus4, but not on OS 3.9. Thanks for reporting!
Old 23 April 2020, 18:10   #3296
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Yes, I can confirm that loss of TrueColors for the 1. image in DOpus4 if the icon has two images, and I've seen that already once before. Ok, that needs some investigation, too. Probably the same issue with Amidock, which I don't use here. On WB 3.1 the TrueColor even comes back after selecting and unselecting the image in DOpus4, but not on OS 3.9. Thanks for reporting!
No Peter it's not your Icon.library's fault, I can see the icons perfectly in DOpus4 icon info and I can see the colors even the icons in AmiDock, see scrennshot.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 April 2020 at 02:06.
Old 23 April 2020, 20:14   #3297
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
No Peter it's not your Icon.library's fault, I can see the icons perfectly in DOpus4 icon info and I can see the colors even the icons in AmiDock, see screenshot.

Thanks Carlo, for explaining me again how my icon.library works! I would never understand it without your analytical expertise ...

... but could it be possible, that my new buffers are never active on AfA_OS as long as icon_lib.exe is drawing the icons? Think about it ...

@James
Your guess was quite good, but the problem with DOpus4 was not that the buffers didn't survive with more than 248 CLUT colors ... no, it was just the opposite, the buffers need to be removed for these free riders like DOpus4 or AmiDock in order to let the gfx-patch do the job of direct drawing TrueColor images instead of DrawIconState() which is used by Workbench.

At exactly that location in my source I've also found a typo, a MOVEM instruction where I left out the "A" of the second address register:
Code:
MOVEM.L (SP)+,D0/A0-1
... but PhxAss has automatically repaired my mistake and compiled it correctly and this was no bug in the executable.

So, I made a too quick fix for you to test it with AmiDock and other apps too.

Updated the fix again! The previous fix did always remove the "buffers" if it was not the Workbench task, not checking whether the buffers did really exist. First, I wanted to do it that way, but then skipped the check for unknown reason, although it was no big tragedy, since most times FreeRemove would not find "memblocks" with a random address in its freelist. Otherwise you would just see a Guru soon ... ... No, there was no reason to be worried, because in case of a random address for the "memblock" there would probably also be a random address for the pretended "freelist", but in 530 I introduced a safety check in DOFreeRemove() to validate that it really belongs to a DiskObject structure.

Last edited by PeterK; 26 April 2020 at 21:44.
Old 23 April 2020, 23:13   #3298
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

Thanks Carlo, for explaining me again how my icon.library works! I would never understand it without your analytical expertise ...
Peter I don't have your expertise, but "without your library" this is how he sees the Dopus4 icons with "icon_lib.exe" (icon info icons without colors) see screenshot, this happens on all OS using AfA OS

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 April 2020 at 02:06.
Old 24 April 2020, 00:47   #3299
James

Quote:
... and I don't know what happens with Cyberlemmings, because I never play any games. Tell me, if there is a problem with tooltypes or similar, I didn't check out any "applications".
The problem with CyberLemmings is that it freezes when running Mysticube at the same time. They used to run nicely together...

Quote:
So, I made a too quick fix for you to test it with AmiDock and other apps too.

Updated the fix again!
Tested under WinUAE and DOpus4, WBStartup++ and RAWBInfo all displaying correctly on OS3.5 now.
Can't test on my A1500 at the moment, so can't check Amidock right away, but looks promising...
Old 24 April 2020, 12:04   #3300
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Peter I don't have your expertise, but "without your library" this is how he sees the Dopus4 icons with "icon_lib.exe" (icon info icons without colors) see screenshot, this happens on all OS using AfA OS
Yeah, I know, that's the usual color icon crap from "DEAD CAT" ... as I once told you, the cat would die ...

@James
Quote:
The problem with CyberLemmings is that it freezes when running Mysticube at the same time. They used to run nicely together...
Hmm, looks like a threesome, must examine that ... Seems, you coerce me to play stupid games ... Is that the game CyberLemmings or the commodity with a CyberLemmings theme for WB windows? I can't find a download for the real game anymore, but will test that commodity. Mysticube is no problem, I have that installed.
Update: Tested CyberLemmings now and can confirm that it stops as long as Mysticube is running, no matter which icon.library I use (with v45.22 too). Furthermore, CyberLemmings causes graphic glitches on my TrueColor screen when I pull the mouse pointer down to the bottom where the Lemmings are running around in high speed and move the mouse a bit in that area. The corruption ends when I stop CyberLemmings with a break. It seems not to be as system friendly as it claims, but I don't know if it interferes with other patches maybe? If you still think that there might be a problem coming from my library, I need to know which CL settings (tooltypes) you are using.

I've never tried AmiDock or similar tools, except for the very funny WBDock2 from Thomas Rapp (but not the latest update yet). Those tools that don't use DrawIconState() may benefit from my gfx-patch for direct drawing TrueColor images without my knowledge. So it can happen that the support for these free riders gets broken sometimes and I will not even notice that if nobody reports it like you.

Last edited by PeterK; 24 April 2020 at 14:57.