English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 17 September 2012, 10:31   #41
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainWalker View Post
My 2 old cents about it:

I can't remember about the game itself, but even in the beginning of amiga scene speed was always an important factor. We had a lot of very good and fast crackers and suppliers in germany, so you could always confide on that somebody else was cracking the game at the same time as you were doing. So being the first who sent out the game by express sendings to the major groups won the race. Even modem trading was already working for the major teams, even baud speed was like playing bongos: one disk took around 9 hours if i remember right

Could Rob or any cracker do it ? No doubt here, but why should they bother about an intro and maybe losing the whole race ? And maybe it was not the only game he had to crack on that day...

And remember a package of 10 disks costs around 25 euros back in the days, so you would always chose the 1-disk version vs. 2-disk version

-= E.vil N.ever D.ies =-
Good to see you on EAB mate, feel free to stick around
Old 17 September 2012, 11:15   #42
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

@Stingray:
If you need a trainer menu, I have one that I made for some group once ("Delight", I think), which they (afaik) never used. You can use it for this if you want/need it.. iirc, it should work on all 68k amigas...

Last edited by hooverphonique; 17 September 2012 at 13:16.
Old 17 September 2012, 15:45   #43
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Thanks, I'll say yes to that offer. As I then have more time to finish my own trainer/intro (don't want to reuse my old one) and can still release the game. I'll drop you a PM.
Old 17 September 2012, 15:49   #44
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainWalker View Post
My 2 old cents about it:

I can't remember about the game itself, but even in the beginning of amiga scene speed was always an important factor. We had a lot of very good and fast crackers and suppliers in germany, so you could always confide on that somebody else was cracking the game at the same time as you were doing. So being the first who sent out the game by express sendings to the major groups won the race. Even modem trading was already working for the major teams, even baud speed was like playing bongos: one disk took around 9 hours if i remember right

Could Rob or any cracker do it ? No doubt here, but why should they bother about an intro and maybe losing the whole race ? And maybe it was not the only game he had to crack on that day...

And remember a package of 10 disks costs around 25 euros back in the days, so you would always chose the 1-disk version vs. 2-disk version

-= E.vil N.ever D.ies =-
I suspect the 1 disk / 2 disk argument is the most significant, not the time of the crack. In my Quartex days I remember The Surge did one unpacked, cracked and repacked the game I supplied during the time i was uploading the 2nd title. On that day we released 2 of the 3 titles we had being beaten by NOMAD/CSL on PP Hammer. But I dont feel bad cos I liked NOMADs plasma intro a lot!

This reminds me (1 disk vs 2 disk)... there was a 1 disk version of Xenomorph released by Miracle. It wasnt 100% (as we found out MANY hours into the game) as the data wasnt complete. I wonder if one of the crackers here could do a proper 1 disked & 100% version?

Challenge accepted?
Old 17 September 2012, 15:52   #45
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I suspect the 1 disk / 2 disk argument is the most significant, not the time of the crack.
Certainly true but Eliminator fits easily on 1 disk and can be heavily crunched (original is uncrunched).

Quote:
This reminds me (1 disk vs 2 disk)... there was a 1 disk version of Xenomorph released by Miracle. It wasnt 100% (as we found out MANY hours into the game) as the data wasnt complete. I wonder if one of the crackers here could do a proper 1 disked & 100% version?

Challenge accepted?
Might have a look during the winter days.
Old 17 September 2012, 16:08   #46
Vollldo

Mmmm... This thread is going to be concluded by plenty of new releases... It smells quite good .

Old 17 September 2012, 18:31   #47
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Certainly true but Eliminator fits easily on 1 disk and can be heavily crunched (original is uncrunched).

Might have a look during the winter days.

I don't think it will be easy.. I suspect they ran out of space (as well as talent)!! One of my favourite games - if you need a tester give me a shout!
Old 17 September 2012, 21:53   #48
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I don't think it will be easy.. I suspect they ran out of space (as well as talent)!! One of my favourite games - if you need a tester give me a shout!
Eliminator with all parts will easily fit on an AmigaDOS disk, unless you're referring to Xenomorph, i'm not sure!
Old 18 September 2012, 08:02   #49
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
So far I'm not sure that a 100% (as in: nothing removed from the game) 1 disk version is possible since there's not much space on any of the both disks. But I only had a quick look so far, we'll see, I'm working on it. And even if a 1 disk version isn't possible I still have an idea what I could do to create a unique and "best" version so it's not wasted time.
Old 20 September 2012, 16:35   #50
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Eliminator with all parts will easily fit on an AmigaDOS disk, unless you're referring to Xenomorph, i'm not sure!
Yes, Xenomorph. Sorry, a little OT!

Quote:
So far I'm not sure that a 100% (as in: nothing removed from the game) 1 disk version is possible since there's not much space on any of the both disks. But I only had a quick look so far, we'll see, I'm working on it. And even if a 1 disk version isn't possible I still have an idea what I could do to create a unique and "best" version so it's not wasted time.
Any new or improved cracks always a plus
Old 20 September 2012, 16:41   #51
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Well, I'm now 99% sure that a 100% 1 disk version of Xenomorph will be possible. I've created quite a bit of code for it already and so far it's been a lot of fun! Might happen that I'll even create a 101% version.
Old 20 September 2012, 17:36   #52
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Well, I'm now 99% sure that a 100% 1 disk version of Xenomorph will be possible. I've created quite a bit of code for it already and so far it's been a lot of fun! Might happen that I'll even create a 101% version.
nice
Old 20 September 2012, 21:43   #53
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
nice
Good news. Strange but on the Atari ST there were a few issues with Xenomorph's cracks and 1 diskers. The guys at Atari Legend did a 100% release a couple of years ago and now EAB can deliver.

I just hope there is a good cracktro with it... I have a soft spot for Classic's intro to Paradroid 90 as it was the first game I downloaded with a modem. Also Dez's music was awesome... Anyway, dont forget the obligatory cracktro!!
Old 20 September 2012, 22:48   #54
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Good news. Strange but on the Atari ST there were a few issues with Xenomorph's cracks and 1 diskers. The guys at Atari Legend did a 100% release a couple of years ago and now EAB can deliver.

I just hope there is a good cracktro with it... I have a soft spot for Classic's intro to Paradroid 90 as it was the first game I downloaded with a modem. Also Dez's music was awesome... Anyway, dont forget the obligatory cracktro!!
On the ST is was far more prevalent to reduce the amount of disks a game took up, in fact groups made a point of cracking as much stuff to files as possible so they could still fit multiple games on a compact, having less colours and chip music helps.

I cracked Hunter French version for the ST and I kept it all sector loading like the original, and I think someone promptly went and hacked it all to real files instead!
Old 20 September 2012, 22:48   #55
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:

Yes there will be a crack intro of course, coded by yours truly. And so far I don't see any problems with the 1 disk version but I didn't test it yet and still have to create a bit of code for it. The copy protection is at least absolutely nothing special.
Old 29 June 2013, 23:03   #56
lesta_smsc

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was sat here enjoying the read and realised the story ends prematurely without any releases unless my tapatalk playing up?
Old 30 June 2013, 00:18   #57
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
realised the story ends prematurely without any releases yet because I don't spend 24/7/365 doing Amiga stuff. This one will be finished most probably next winter.
There, fixed it for you.
Old 30 June 2013, 00:26   #58
lesta_smsc

Quote:
There, fixed it for you.
Lol... I appreciate you have other things to do I was just under the impression it was near enough completion when you last wrote! Apologies
Old 30 June 2013, 00:45   #59
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

No need to apologize! And yes, it is almost done, however, not fully finished yet hence no release yet. And since Summer is here now my Amiga activities are very limited (not to say non-existent) but that will change when Winter arrives.
Old 30 June 2013, 01:17   #60
lesta_smsc

Quote:
No need to apologize! And yes, it is almost done, however, not fully finished yet hence no release yet. And since Summer is here now my Amiga activities are very limited (not to say non-existent) but that will change when Winter arrives.
Cool... looking forward to it. A nice xmas present lol. Keep up the good work!