English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 07 December 2015, 23:45   #1
Englyst

Few issues with OS 4.1FE and AF2016

Hi folks.

Got the offer to upgrade to AF 2016 and also just got the AmigaOS 4.1 FE Classic edition and have had a go at it.

I've got the system booting with sound and a decent screenmode but I've hit a few snags:

- TCP/IP stack crashes all the time with a Guru Meditation. I cannot get the RTL8029 to work. No DHCP is coming through. Any idea what to do?

- When adding an extra .hdf using SFS/00 (bootdrive is the same) then after having partitioned it and formatted the drives, the drives disappear after a cold start and the .hdf is blank. I have an extra .hdf with FFS on it that works. What have I forgot since it doesn't work?

Otherwise it works well but I want to move quite a bit of data from other places to the .hdf files and since directory drives doesn't work under PPC emulation it's a bit of a bother.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out
Old 08 December 2015, 01:42   #2
ma693541
Computer Wizard

The .rp9 file are in fact a archived zip file, unzip it and see what you can get out of it. Remember to work on a copy of the .rp9 file. I will give it a try myself this weekend.
Old 08 December 2015, 18:28   #3
Englyst

Weird! All of a sudden the network connection works. No more TCP/IP stack crashes.
Old 08 December 2015, 19:13   #4
Saghalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englyst View Post
Weird! All of a sudden the network connection works. No more TCP/IP stack crashes.
Glad it worked out for you. I've had this same issue, but it didn't all work out for me. I had to download the ethernet.device and change the adapter to the Commodore adapter that is defaulted in the AF2016 GUI.

At first it worked just fine. Then after installing a few of the Extras from the CD it crapped out on me and I had to switch to the ethernet.device.

Was there something that you did that might have corrected the problem that you can think of? Would really like to know why it all of a sudden stopped working.

Regards,

Saghalie
Old 09 December 2015, 02:17   #5
Englyst

Nah I didn't do anything. Suddenly it worked. Has me a bit stumped - byt hey I'm not complaining that it works now
Old 11 December 2015, 03:46   #6
Englyst

Found out there's a limitation of 2 .hdf files being mounted under the PPC emulation. At least I have had no success with 3. But as soon as I removed a smaller HDF then the big 20 GB one I had added started working.

Would have been nice to know
Old 11 December 2015, 05:29   #7
Saghalie

Quote:
Found out there's a limitation of 2 .hdf files being mounted under the PPC emulation. At least I have had no success with 3. But as soon as I removed a smaller HDF then the big 20 GB one I had added started working.

Would have been nice to know
Use .vhd files. I've never gotten a .hdf to work very well. The .vhd files though work great and I have a system with 3 drives that I have no issues with. All of them are 2.9gig files (harddrives)

Regards,

Saghalie
Old 11 December 2015, 06:29   #8
Englyst

Well since there's no Dynamic HDF option in Amiga Forever 2016 how would I get it working?
Old 11 December 2015, 08:49   #9
Saghalie

Quote:
Well since there's no Dynamic HDF option in Amiga Forever 2016 how would I get it working?
First of all here is a link to a document that I typed up to get OS4.1FE to install with AF. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf

EDIT - Second, there is indeed a way to create the .vhd files that I speak of in AF2016 (Amiga Forever 2016).
Whoops, Amiga Forever does not support the .vhd extension but you can create .hdf in RDB mode. I think that I had my programs mixed up (WinUAE vs Amiga Forever). Sorry.

See the document I just referenced

Regards,

Saghalie
Old 11 December 2015, 14:46   #10
Englyst

Hey no problem with the mix up It happens to the best of us. Right now I'll live with the solution I have in place since there is enough space. Sometimes the RLT8029 aren't found and haven't figured out why, and then suddenly it's back. Oh well, it is an emulation after all - things aren't perfect.

Have a great weekend!
Old 14 December 2015, 10:29   #11
JimmiG

I also had some problems with HDDs. It seems OS 4.1 is very finicky about the drives you use.

1. When trying to create a new HDF to install onto, it would work fine if I did a *soft reboot* when the installation was finished (NOT the half-circle icon, that would generate a red guru meditation at boot). Shutting the emulated machine down and then trying to boot it again would also produce this error, so I could only use it once. I had to actually re-use an old HDF I downloaded from the net some time ago, and format it.

2. When trying to move a Work: partition from another machine, it would show as Uninitialized, even though it contains data. In fact, adding another HDF seems impossible. It will work once, but get uninitialized after a shutdown and restart of the emulated machine.

Last edited by JimmiG; 14 December 2015 at 11:20.

Old 14 December 2015, 18:14   #12
Saghalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiG View Post
I also had some problems with HDDs. It seems OS 4.1 is very finicky about the drives you use.

2. When trying to move a Work: partition from another machine, it would show as Uninitialized, even though it contains data. In fact, adding another HDF seems impossible. It will work once, but get uninitialized after a shutdown and restart of the emulated machine.
OS4.1FE really does need "clean" HDF files. You can create them in the AmigaForever GUI.

If you use a HDF that is pre-made (from another distribution) you will always get the "DHx:Uninitialized" error. The HDF's need to be partitioned in order to work with 4.1.

I'm working with 3 HDFs on my system with no issues. I typed up a document that I believe I posted here to install the system - it works, give it a try.

Regards,

Saghalie

Edit: here is a link to a document that I typed up to get OS4.1FE to install with AF. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf

Last edited by prowler; 31 December 2015 at 22:53. Reason: Fixed link.
Old 20 December 2015, 23:48   #13
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saghalie View Post
OS4.1FE really does need "clean" HDF files. You can create them in the AmigaForever GUI.

If you use a HDF that is pre-made (from another distribution) you will always get the "DHx:Uninitialized" error. The HDF's need to be partitioned in order to work with 4.1.

I'm working with 3 HDFs on my system with no issues. I typed up a document that I believe I posted here to install the system - it works, give it a try.

Regards,

Saghalie

Edit: here is a link to a document that I typed up to get OS4.1FE to install with AF. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf
hello Saghalie, I´ve the same GURU issue that JimmiG

I follow your pdf tutorial, step by step.

Last edited by prowler; 31 December 2015 at 22:54. Reason: Fixed link in quote.
Old 31 December 2015, 06:47   #14
sturme
Zone Friend

In order to get OS 4.1 going in amiga forever 2014 i had followed the guide supplied by Saghalie. but i changed a few things that made it go pretty easy.

In the disk prep utility i followed his prompts till i got to "add, remove or edit file systems".

From there i selcted "add new file system", and selected smart file system from the list, press "ok" and them press "ok - accept changes"

then i entered the numbers 5436500 in hte DosType string and clicked ok and ok accept changes

below that in "select filesystem/edit details, i changed file type to SFS\00
and block size to 512, slecelted ok - accept changes

i followed his directions from there.

I hope this helps. i know it worked for me.
Old 05 January 2016, 19:53   #15
Saghalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
hello Saghalie, I´ve the same GURU issue that JimmiG
I believe I updated the guide since this was posted. I am not sure. And I am not sure why that GURU is happening.

Regards,

Saghalie
Old 06 January 2016, 16:51   #16
Aegis
Gentleman

Estrayk: Try this
Old 15 January 2016, 11:12   #17
elowan

So - how is Performance of OS 4.1 FE in latest AmigaForever 2016? what does work, what not? Which Edition I Need to buy, if I want to habe 4.1 Fe and 3.9 emulated on my windows10 machine?

Normally, I would just Setup in some uae myself, but it just gives me way too much trouble: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67429&page=2

Cheers!
Old 15 January 2016, 15:55   #18
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elowan View Post
So - how is Performance of OS 4.1 FE in latest AmigaForever 2016? what does work, what not? Which Edition I Need to buy, if I want to habe 4.1 Fe and 3.9 emulated on my windows10 machine?
On an i7 (965) @ 3.3 Ghz with an AMD R285 it's... usable. The PPC is emulated on a single core and 68k/JIT is switched off so don't expect the same kind of performance as 68k emulation - for now at least the real PPC hardware's got WinUAE beat.

We're also restricted to running an emulated Picasso IV with a miserly 4MB of video RAM so the maximum 16/32-bit screenmode you can run it in is around 1024x768. OS 4.1 can only use the fast RAM available on the Cyberstorm emulation too so max memory is 128MB - plenty for 68k but quickly used up by OS 4.1 (I have 74MB free on boot).

There's no hardware compositing or hardware 3D 'cause the Picasso IV is too old to support it - Toni's expressed an interest in emulating a Voodoo 3 in WinUAE but there's no indication on when or if that might happen. Zorro 3 RAM *can* be used (up to 768MB in my tests) but only currently as a swap-file (Hyperion may at some point make this available as normal RAM in a kernal update to AmigaOS).

It's fun to tinker with for those of us that can't afford or justify the expense of real PPC hardware and all of the included applications seem to work fine (I've purchased the PPC version of PPaint 7.3 and that works too).

For the time being it's more of a novelty I feel, but if enough AF2016 users are using it then perhaps that makes a compelling case for the graphics/RAM enhancements necessary to make it more useful.

To run AmigaOS 4.1 you'll need AF2016 Plus Edition and the AmigaOS 4.1 FE ISO for Classic Amigas (both available from amigaforever.com)

Last edited by Aegis; 15 January 2016 at 17:12.
Old 15 January 2016, 16:34   #19
elowan

great - so it will be AmigaForever2016 until the A.L.I.C.E. project takes over?!

thanks for the information
Old 15 January 2016, 16:35   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is faster than real CyberStormPPC with fast and recent generation Intel CPU (at least in raw CPU power, not including FPU due to QEMU using softfloat library instead of native CPU FPU instructions).

I really hope you are not comparing it to non-classics because it seems to be quite common strange comparison in some other forums. They don't count. QEMU also has a JIT and it has nothing to do with m68k JIT.

Everything else is correct