English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 11 December 2013, 13:00   #1
shovel

Downloads confusion

AF is only, as far as I can tell, only runs with RP9. I need to find somewhere to download as it's a bit of a hunt. All I come up with is HOF which of I read correctly isn't the place to download rather than see a data base of Amiga games. Then there are other sites which also have ECS/OCS and the other ADF which U assume us something to do with Amiga Disk File. I don't understand any of this as to what can be downloaded that will actually work with AF. Could someone put me right as this old brain just doesn't get any of it.

Where can I download games? I need A320 Airbus, A320 Vol 2, European, and USA. I can't find any of them. Will any that I do FIND work if it states ADF. I would much prefer RP9 but I would hazard a guess that with the built in RP9 in AF they would have to be converted.

Help please.

Roger
Old 11 December 2013, 15:22   #2
zenox98
Joy Division

AF will automatically load and play - after given you the option to amend the parameters - any ADF you double click on.

Try it and let us know.

As to the games, there are numerous on EAB FTP.
Old 11 December 2013, 20:16   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Hi Shovel,

I posted a quick RP9 of A320 Airbus here...

Did you get it to work?

Arnie.
Old 11 December 2013, 20:31   #4
shovel

Arnie. I tried A320 Save as to Desktop but all those attachments are PHP and I can't save both because of the conflicting Attachment titles to files when I try to save.
Old 11 December 2013, 20:38   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Not quite sure what you mean. What files can you download?
Old 11 December 2013, 21:59   #6
shovel

You told me that there was an RP9 A320 on the other thread (Amiga Forever Premium Edition 2013) and I need all of them but they can't be saved or anything because they are HTML files, not RAR as it says on the attachments. When I have the option to Save I decide to save them to Desktop but they are PHP files and as they are Attachment files when saving I would have to rename them but I don't think it would be any use as they might be pictures.
Old 12 December 2013, 01:28   #7
DH
Global Moderator

Internet Explorer is definitely 'NOT' your friend shovel, which was pointed out to you some time back, because it's that, that is causing you more headaches than anything else. I tried it and it attempted to save the .rar files out as .php files with a filename attachments (ie attachments.php). Don't know why really, but as I'm not an IE user, nor will I ever be, I ain't going to even attempt to find out why. However, just rename the file and the extension to <original filename>.rar and that will put it all right again for you.

DH doesn't really understand Internet Explorer one bit and never will.

Try a user friendly browser like Firefox http://www.ez-download.com/lp/mozill...n=EZFFUK&fwd=1 or google Chrome https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/ch...&utm_medium=ha as they'll save them out with the original filename and extension

Preference being FireFox

EDIT: Seems like it has something to do with MIME Sniffing that's causing your problem. MS introduced this from IE7 upwards, and it seems like you cannot switch it off either, despite being able to disable it, it continues to swap what it thinks is the correct extension. No point in updating IE to the latest version either, because it's still there. Reading this may help you understand http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx and then make you change your browser for something a little less confusing.

Last edited by DH; 12 December 2013 at 02:07.
Old 12 December 2013, 04:35   #8
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I use Firefox myself, have done for years, as I.E never had a proper download manager.

Is there a file format that I.E doesn't alter ?

I could upload the RP9 files again as .zip, then all you would need to do is rename them to .rp9.
Old 12 December 2013, 10:37   #9
shovel

RP9 in zip format would suit me fine Arnie. DH I am using Chrome but it keeps kicking in with pop-ups and I can'r compete with that. I'v also installed the 7Zip but I don't know how to use that as I managed to download the 3 rar files but can't get any further with the Open with as I tried using the File manager for 7Zip but don't know how to use the box. I did try the extract as you did say that RP9 were more or less zip files.

I'm sorry guys for my loopy behaviour but I'm at the stage where thing don't seem so straightforward. maybe it is the IE thing and best to go Firefox. But what do I do if the same things occur like they did by using Chrome? Pop-ups all over the place.
Old 12 December 2013, 12:15   #10
DH
Global Moderator

Either:-

Download WinRAR, install, right click the .rar file and Extract to <whatever the rar file is called>, it will then extract it in the same location into a folder the same name as the rar file except for the extension.

or:-

run 7-Zip FIle Manager, locate the file using it's browser, right click the .rar file, in the context menu hover over 7-Zip, then click on Extract to "<whatever the rar file is called>", it will then extract it in the same location into a folder the same name as the rar file except for the extension.
Old 12 December 2013, 19:47   #11
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Here is the A320 Airbus.rp9 file renamed to A320 Airbus.zip. Download it and rename it to A320 Airbus.rp9

Last edited by Arnie; 20 December 2013 at 22:51.
Old 15 December 2013, 09:18   #12
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Did you get this working, Shovel?
Old 15 December 2013, 17:42   #13
DH
Global Moderator

Yeah Shovel, we really would like to know if you've been successful with this. Would really be nice to know that EAB has at least made someone happy this Xmas
Old 15 December 2013, 20:29   #14
shovel

Lads, I'm working on it in between my other loves. As far as A320 goes, I changed the file to read as rp9 and duly saved it to games and it loaded ok....but. All the files in games have the name of game and the developer. it looks weird to just have A320 and nothing else. Is this normal? Read that as is THIS, and NOT am I lol.

I will eventually, if I do it right by you guys, load FA18 and Sensible Soccer. It will be a different kettle of fish compared to A320 as that was in it's naked form an RP9 whereas the other two have, I assume, yet to be extracted.

Arnie, where did you get the A320, F A18 and Sensible Soccer from please? I only ask because I need all the other Sensibles and also A320 Ver 2 and USA edition.

Then I will need to try my hand at converting to RP9s.
Old 16 December 2013, 18:14   #15
shovel

This is doing my head in. I have installed 7-zip in x86 and my files for the rar are in Downloads and right clicking doesn't show anything for 7-zip.

I even played it safe and used Chrome.

Edit: Finally sussed it after working out the jargon for "context" and other things that really was straight forward. Only when U had installed 7-zup was I able to work it out.

Now all I need is the knowledge of converting the files I might want to RP9. I want the rest of the games as mentioned before. Also where to find them as HOF seems only to be a data base for the known games.

Cheers you guys for getting me this far. Now don't dilly dally like I have done for the past few days, and get back to me. Please!

Last edited by shovel; 16 December 2013 at 18:37.
Old 16 December 2013, 18:37   #16
DH
Global Moderator

That's because it doesn't show up in the right click context menu on a 64bit OS, I suggested earlier how to do this in post #10 above
Old 16 December 2013, 19:12   #17
shovel

yeah well this 72 yo mind doesn't work like you young 'uns. File Manager was the leading light and wouldn't have found it if I hadn't actually installed 7-zip. In truth I had to consult my own personal bible(YouTube) and it showed exactly IN PICTURES(Not shouting just highlighting).

I had no idea it was all there in the Start Menu and that's how I worked it out using my brain what's left of it. Also I made the point of saying about the jargon. I never knew that Right Click was part of that "jargon". As I said, I worked it out for myself, maybe from some hidden knowledge that crept through the grey fog.

All you had to do was tell me in simple terms to go to Start Menu, click to go to File Manager, then basically everything was straightforward from there.

That's enough from me before I get spanked again for not being able to comprehend things at my age. I can do most things at a steady pace and when I put my mind to it, by trial and error, I DO get there in the end.
Old 16 December 2013, 19:37   #18
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Hi Shovel,

You can get the games from here

http://www.thegamearchives.com/?val=...0_4_17_0_0_0_0

If you need any help in creating RP9's then post here.
Old 16 December 2013, 20:10   #19
shovel

Thanks Arnie, I saw that site and thought what the heck. How do I work around all that jargon(Seems I've inherited another word in my vocabulary).
cr, hf
cr,hf(a)
What ones am I supposed to choose?
Old 16 December 2013, 20:16   #20
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Download them all and try them.