English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 January 2011, 00:30   #21
Parsec

Well the file I'm editing mustn't be the right one, but I think it's the Unleash-X default.xbe.

The MS Dash file must be stored somewhere else.
Old 16 January 2011, 17:56   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The M$ dash is stored on C drive (the real C: not the virtual one which nDure installs)

Why are you trying to edit anything?
Old 17 January 2011, 00:28   #23
Parsec

Hmm ok, does this real c: have a drive letter - there's loads of them on my system, C, D, E, X & Y I think. For why see above - the hex change for gta

by the way I had a great result with the xbox and got loads of stuff working, will update the other thread when I get more time
Old 17 January 2011, 09:37   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I didn't think you edit the M$ dash, I thought you edited the default.xbe on the GTA disc?

To get access to the real C:\ whilst running ndure you must disable virtual C:\

google around and you'll find lots of info
Old 17 January 2011, 12:05   #25
Parsec

@Seuden: I'm a bit stuck here. Which default.xbe is it? The game one or one of the dash files?

If it's the game one I would need to rip the disc to the HDD wouldn't I. My xbox is softmodded so I can't burn my own copy of GTA:SA with the edited file.
Old 17 January 2011, 12:20   #26
seuden
uber cool demi god

Yes, it's the game default one you need to edit. I have to pop out now but I'll be back in a couple of hours. Bug me then if you still need a hand
Old 17 January 2011, 15:00   #27
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
My xbox is softmodded so I can't burn my own copy of GTA:SA with the edited file.
Erm, softmodded xboxes play backup discs just fine.

Quote:
If it's the game one I would need to rip the disc to the HDD wouldn't I.
No. I would recommend you do a hard drive upgrade so you can rip all your games to HDD anyhow. You now have (or at least I hope you have) the EEPROM key from your softmod process transferred to your PC so you can prepare any size hard drive you like on your PC and transfer it over. No more hot-swapping.
Old 17 January 2011, 15:02   #28
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Yes, it's the game default one you need to edit. I have to pop out now but I'll be back in a couple of hours. Bug me then if you still need a hand
Ah I see thanks.

I will see if there's room to copy the game to the hdd. Unfortunately I only have the 10gb hard drive and coinops has just used 4.5gb of that. Also for some reason, I'm not sure I have the full 10gb available any more after softmodding.

Might look at a hard drive upgrade soon.
Old 17 January 2011, 16:05   #29
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Might look at a hard drive upgrade soon.
That would be a priority to be honest. They're soo friggin' cheap and then you won't have to go through all this shit again.
Old 17 January 2011, 16:18   #30
deicidal
Registered Insane

Yep pretty much agree, definatly a worthwhile upgrade.

Biggest problem I had was getting the pc to lock the hdd.
Old 17 January 2011, 16:21   #31
S0ulA55a551n

I have had several softmodded xboxs for years. Never tried enabling the HD modes as its my spare 28inch widescreen crt.

However you got to put a massive HDD in there. Its the whole point. Softmod, run XBMC and fill your drive full of emulators/roms and backups of your games. yes all the xbox games on my xbox are backed up orginals I own

XBMC is such an impressive piece of software. Keep all my videos and music on a NAS and its great for watching films in the bedroom.
Old 17 January 2011, 16:26   #32
Amigafanboi

I have to agree, larger hard disk should be your priority.
Mine has a 250gb drive in and it's just awsome.
Old 17 January 2011, 16:32   #33
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Just be careful when you go over 250GB. The maximum partition size when using the default 16Kbyte clusters is 256GB so any single partition over that and you must MUST repartition with either 32Kbyte (upto 512GB) or perhaps even 64Kbyte clusters or you WILL get data corruption once the drive begins to get full.

xbpartitioner 1.1 is the tool you need to set cluster sizes.
Old 17 January 2011, 16:38   #34
seuden
uber cool demi god

Stick with a HDD under 250GB Parsec and you'll be fine. That's plenty for emulators and quite a few xbox games. You won't have to worry about partition size or anything and you can always keep saved games etc when you need to remove some of the games to make room for others.
Old 18 January 2011, 09:59   #35
Parsec

I'll definitely look into the HDD. It won't be used for media playback (have a htpc also running xbmc for that) but even so the games will take up plenty room.

By the way I noticed something interested over the weekend - I bought Sega GT2002 for £1.50 on Saturday but when I got home it wouldn't run. It started to load then crashed. So I tried it in the 360 downstairs and strangely enough that worked.

I couldn't work it out for a while but eventually realised that disk space was the problem. Cleared out those stupid unpacked rom files (see other thread) and it started working.
Old 27 January 2011, 11:19   #36
Parsec

Well my hd box pro is now here and working well. It outputs a wide range of resolutions including the 1440x900 of the small widescreen vga monitor I'm currently using. I plan to replace this (it was a kind donation from a mate) with a 4:3 monitor eventually.

Initially I was using it with the xbox still outputting interlaced video, and it worked well although there were a few glitches in some arcade games. This is caused by the hd box pro struggling to process the picture because it's not getting a full frame every time.

The biggest improvement I've noticed over using my LCD TV is reduction in lag. It's quite amazing what a difference there is, my TV must have been introducing a fair old delay from all the deinterlacing and scaling.

Games are starting to look really good now. There is still some scaling going on of course because the xbox outputs 480 or 720 which the hd box pro scales up to the native lcd monitor resolution, but the results are still very good.

By the way I had a hell of a time getting the xbox into prog scan mode. I had to add eeprom_off.bin and video.bin to a specific folder to get the virtual eeprom off so Enigmah could make the changes permanent. A lot of info I read on the web was wrong because there are different versions of unleash-x. Hopefully now I can remove these files but I'm not sure the virtual eeprom will have been updated with the change to the real one.
Old 27 January 2011, 16:05   #37
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I wasnt aware that Unleash-X had any bearing on HD modes. Tell us about it.
Old 27 January 2011, 16:48   #38
Parsec

I don't know how much bearing Unleash-X has. Although you have to get it to disable the virtual eeprom otherwise it's impossible to permanently change the console mode and get HD working.

Unleash-X itself will run in HD - once the console has been successfully changed from PAL to NTSC.

Also, there some interesting settings in Unleash-X about multi-region and output format. I'm not sure what these do but read somewhere it might be possible to use them to solve problems with games that screw up on PAL consoles with progressive enabled. I have two of these. I'll try this and let you know what happens.
Old 27 January 2011, 17:08   #39
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
you have to get it to disable the virtual eeprom otherwise it's impossible to permanently change the console mode and get HD working.
That is an NDure Softmod issue. Nothing to do with Unleash-X
Old 28 January 2011, 11:15   #40
Parsec

That's useful. My worry is if I remove the files that disable the virtual eeprom, my xbox will revert to PAL and turn off progressive. The reason I think this is that I can't figure out how to update the virtual eeprom from the real one which is now set to NTSC.