English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 December 2007, 12:36   #61
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Well, I can't deny that much
Yeah its a bit of a bummer Plus my board is AGP, hence the complete upgrade ... Grrrrr.... Believe me though, i would love to upgrade, but life priorities get in the way, and i need focus on them above all else.

But one day, hopefully soon.. i will hook myself up with a new rig

So how about it Santa ?
Old 19 December 2007, 14:00   #62
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

the need for emulation is taken away because the companies are seeing money in the old games again. Recently I bought "capcom classics 1" containing 20 classic capcom games (commando, ghouls & ghosts, streetfighter 2...) and the sonic classics collection, containing all sonic games up to and including sonic 3d, for my ps2. There is the virtual console in the wii, x-box live arcade... old games are being reborn.
Old 19 December 2007, 14:55   #63
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
This old argument gets older every time.

It's exactly the same as when people older than us (in their 60s, let's say) complain about how music, movies and kids aren't like they used to be.
But music is not like it used to be Music now is more about image, attitude and "how should we sound like", not "grab guitars and express ourselves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
@SensibleFan,
what was the last time you emulated speccy?
Few weeks ago And here is the proof:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31922&page=5
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31922&page=4
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31922&page=3
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31922&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
I completely understand.
Probably best post ever
Old 19 December 2007, 15:14   #64
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
I tend to agree and disagree. I got full on into PC gaming in 2000, and was loving the experience, with Games like Freespace 2, Deus Ex, Rune, Dark Reign 2, Hitman.. and a ton of other games, but then after something like 3 years, i noticed i was getting really really bored with the games coming out, because why?.. ummm .. well it was the same old shit, over and over again....
I think this could be an explanation for the "PC gaming dilemma".

I fully started with PC gaming in 2002. (I needed the FireWire connection and video editing software.)

Of course all these shiny, modern games smiled at me.
I tried so many games with super duper 3D gfx and they were playable at all.

I don´t know why, but I really missed the longevity.
At first I thought it´s because of the quantity available but back then there were many, many Amiga titles to put your hands on, too.

Then, a year later I was bored with this blocky 3D games.
Well yes, 3D games on the Amiga are blocky as hell by comparision.

But you can almost feel the AGA chipset working while thinking:
"Oh my god. How did they manage to squeeze out that kind of thing of our beloved machine again?!"

I´m using this old 1,8ghz/512MB PC right now. I didn´t upgrade anything...because it´s still great for emulation!

I have to admit that all these brand new PC and console games look very realistic. I still love 2D, though.
Old 25 January 2008, 13:39   #65
manic23
Only Amiga!

Just thought I'd add my 2 penith, for me emulation is about 30% wanting to play the games and if i honest its 70% about pure nostalgia!
Old 25 January 2008, 19:51   #66
NLS
Ancient User

this thread got to long for me to follow

I would only contribute to the thread with this: my child when he goes to 3-4 years old, the first games he will see will probably be some simple CBM64 or Amiga (or even 2600!) games... MUCH better to grab and then move on to more current software (and appreciate it more)
Old 26 January 2008, 17:22   #67
Talkie

Hmm....Personally I think they are classic games (and tons of crap) on every system in every generations.

A lot of people have been complaining about the recent games being all the same: 3D FPS Sequels. The Adventure lovers have been especially eradicated (platformers still have the Wii and the handhelds).

But what gives? Developers will some day finally hear the bell ringing, and will start to find ways to make the old meets the new. These developers could be you, guys. There will be original games, the technology will permit lonely programmer to do everything themselves once again, which is an imperative for true originality.

If you are all bored with 3D, I'm not, I don't think 3D will ever die, I just think that gameplay should be more varied.

Another option is to design games that look retro, especially for the handheld. There would be a scene for that, if your game is good enough, just like in music, people have been mixing with retro-electronics influences.

Cheers,

Talkie
Old 31 January 2008, 00:33   #68
Eclipse
Turpentine

When the Xbox and PS3 are being emulated, how many will still be emulating the Amiga?
Old 31 January 2008, 00:46   #69
Ironclaw
Banned

Lock this thread with the final words, as follows:

Q: Is emulation/retro gaming coming to an end?

A: Hell no!, not even by a long shot imo, maybe even NEVER!.
Old 31 January 2008, 11:30   #70
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
When the Xbox and PS3 are being emulated, how many will still be emulating the Amiga?
Why?

Emulation is not just playing some good game.

Also experiences of a person are... his own.
My nostalgia is with CBM64 and Amiga - my kid will probably have some nostalgia about (!) Vista or "little 20 inch TFT" screens, when he grows up (consoles are not getting in this house... I just have a PS2 because they gave it to me for free, only used it as a DVD player in a room).
Old 31 January 2008, 12:31   #71
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Oh, oh.. didn't read this one... have to comment:

Are you kidding me?????.. Hey!, playstation 1-2, N64, alot of cool arcade machines, like Neo-Geo... lots of heavy ass cool arcade games is already emulated and these games kicks the graphic ASS out of Amiga games... but STILL people are emulating Amiga, what makes you think people would stop emulating the Amiga if Xbox or PS3 got emulated????... when alot of other stuff (like mentioned above) already is???

People will never stop emulating the Amiga, just like with nintendo 8 bit.. and snes, and commodore c64...

Sorry, got a bit pissed when I see a post like that.
Old 31 January 2008, 17:01   #72
NLS
Ancient User

hell I have a good time emulating my old Atari 2600...
Old 03 February 2008, 02:30   #73
TodaysForgotten

That is a pretty intriguing question. I think emulation will be retro for different generations of life. Maybe in 20 years all the millennium babies will be remembering their mass effect, halos, assassins creed etc.

Then i think you'll have that small niche who were interested in where games started or where they went from early incarnations.

I never had an amiga in my life. With emulation possible i want to try every system no matter how horrible or how bad. Hell i am in the Amiga EAB/Lemon competition and enjoying myself.

I love all walks of consoles. I feel the older computers/consoles brought more sense of what a game should be and not how life-like can we make this game. And the games were hard as hell (usually).

Retro gaming will be an underground cult that never really fades. Much like shmups have continued to persist through time.
Old 03 February 2008, 12:18   #74
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFan View Post
But music is not like it used to be Music now is more about image, attitude and "how should we sound like", not "grab guitars and express ourselves"
what a funking great post. I couldn't have put it better myself.

In terms of emulation and retro stuff.

There will always be a market for the Amiga and older systems as they were practically the first generation of home computers out there.

We are still pretty much in the computer age infancy as it is so as time passes the older stuff will generate a lot more interest imo to how things began/used to be aka the Golden Age of computing

There's something special about sticking a floppy disc in a A500 that invokes more excitement than switching on a XBox (if it comes on at all) or a PS3.