English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

View Poll Results: Should games be banned in th Games League?
Yes 5 45.45%
No 5 45.45%
Other (please specify) 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06 October 2007, 11:01   #1
Graham Humphrey

Should games be banned in the Games League?

There's been a bit of a debate recently as to whether the banned games rule should stand. As you all know, I decided to do this because of the potential trouble with games that allow score-leeching very easily could cause.

As I've made clear in the past, I only do this to keep the competition fair and enjoyable for everyone - as was proved on Lemon Amiga's compo, it's far too easy for a few people to ruin it for everyone else in certain games, and there's another problem too - how, exactly, do you prove that someone has indeed been score-leeching? It might be easier to prove with some games more than others, but do you start disallowing scores because they're too high? Or do you just trust them? It's a difficult one.

Equally, I can see the other side of the argument too - you want to be able to choose any game you like, and you feel that you're trustworthy enough not to use these tactics, however tempting it may be.

But I've always thought it best to avoid any trouble at all, and indeed, in seven rounds I've not had a single complaint of anyone cheating and it's all been played in a great spirit. Just don't underestimate people's ability to use underhand tactics if they're staring them right in the face.

Interestingly, the whole subject has only come up last week - before that no-one even so much as mentioned it in passing (and the rule has been in place since June). So I've always assumed that everyone was, if not happy, then understanding of the situation. But if you weren't then surely something should have been said before?

No matter. Now's your chance to tell me what you think. Vote one of the options and give me a reason why you've gone for it (and don't say "because I like those games" as I don't consider that to be a valid reason).

I would like this vote to be restricted to people who take part in, or who are interested in, the Games League and I want EVERYONE who votes to give me their views. If you've never shown any interest in the competition at all, please don't vote so I can get a better idea of how everyone feels on this subject. Thank you.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 06 October 2007 at 12:49.
Old 06 October 2007, 12:01   #2
mailman
Zone Friend

I selected "YES" but if it is going to be used wise. I think that what had been done so far by Graham in that area was done wise and we should stick to it. There are some games in which cheats (not tricks) are so obvious and easy to have that it is just a matter of free time and will if someone uses it to improve the score. I think that it shouldn't be the point in the competition. On the other hand, looking for some things which are deeply hidden in the game and occasionaly occurs should be avoided because probably in each game you may find some ridicolous "bugs" and it just might spoil the fun we have here.

Let's keep it like it is now. Some titles with obvious cheats (Agony) or different scoring systems (Lotus 2) should not be allowed in league if we want to have everything fair. Of course from time to time there might be a round also for these games Just for fun.

Last edited by mailman; 06 October 2007 at 19:18.
Old 06 October 2007, 13:36   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@GH

Fear not I haven`t voted, as I have not the time to play (wich is a good thing for you lot! ) I hope to get some time over christmas sooo be warned (get some practice in )

This certainly seems a hot potato you have here and i was wondering if within these games there was either a way to substantiate a score ot perhaps have an open non-regulated sub-part to the games league.

Personally I believe that a youToob or other posted video of efforts might be in order but not everyone has the hardware to do all that AND play at the same time..... hmmmmm

I do however see you quandary my friend, by banning a said game, you penalize a decent and honnest player because of it... hardly seems fair does it..... thinking about it now It might be an idea to setup an unregulated zone or highscore hall for these games, it seems the fairest way...... that way cheating fucktards wont win by getting a game banned.... and the decent players will atleast have there say by playing thier game...

which ever you or the games leauge council decide, it will be a tough decision my friend.... good luck with it..... I look forward to gaming with you all over christmas...
Old 06 October 2007, 14:12   #4
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
I do however see you quandary my friend, by banning a said game, you penalize a decent and honnest player because of it... hardly seems fair does it..... thinking about it now It might be an idea to setup an unregulated zone or highscore hall for these games, it seems the fairest way...... that way cheating fucktards wont win by getting a game banned.... and the decent players will atleast have there say by playing thier game...
Thanks for your input Zetr0. I know Bippy talked about something similar a while back - having a separate section that isn't really part of the competition but allows people to post their highscores. Nothing really came of it but I think it would be a decent solution.

Quote:
which ever you or the games leauge council decide, it will be a tough decision my friend.... good luck with it..... I look forward to gaming with you all over christmas...
Shame this'll be finished by Xmas and the new Super League won't start until next year
Old 06 October 2007, 14:26   #5
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

I vote no, and you know my point of view but i will say it again :
the one who want to cheat can cheat to any game it seems to be more easier and less boring to use a cheat code or a cheat menu than stay in front of the boss of agony and shooting during hours on the same screen, there is more easier cheats for the one who want to cheat.
You'll never stop the guy who want to cheat, i think we must accept all games by exemple for agony why not just add a special rule: you can't use the cheat of the first boss (the bug) and that's all for me it's the same than tell don't use cheatcode or don't use cheatmenu or don't use hexeditor or savestates etc... then why banne some games when anyone could cheat to anygame ?
And you will see if we banne games, we will loose such great games like : unreal,brain the lion,flink( i know graham you don't care), just because the amiga games wasn't made to make competitions or leagues, sorry to tell this again but IT'S UNFAIR and you know why there is no problems yet ? it's not a question of rules because i repeat again if a guy want to cheat will do it, the rules are important to control the competition a little,
but there was no problem because everybody is here for fun, want to play amiga games with sane competition and personnaly i don't care if somone want to cheat, shame on him, there is no money to win (there is graham ?) the compettion is just a way to push our limits more far, that's all and it's just a way to replay games that we like, games like (brian the lion, agony , unreal, flink and manymore after thinking about it).
NO BANNE PLEASE
Old 06 October 2007, 14:34   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Shame this'll be finished by Xmas and the new Super League won't start until next year

your only saying that because my obvious gaming skill scares you!
Old 06 October 2007, 14:39   #7
Graham Humphrey

Well, I certainly know your point of view, that's what prompted me to do this poll in the first place

You do make a lot of good points but I would dispute that there are loads of games we could ban for this reason - I don't think there are that many to be honest.

And again, you're right that it is for fun (no money changing hands here), but with some games it's incredibly easy and virtually no effort to rack up a very big score - when all you have to do is press the fire button for a few minutes the temptation is there. I think that while you could say that, yes, this has been played in great spirit by every single person who has taken part, the same could be said of the Lemon Amiga competition and look what happened there. Now I'm not suggesting we do have people like that but there is a lot of potential for trouble.

But hey, I've said all this before, it's all about what everyone else thinks and I'll come to a conclusion based on this.
Old 06 October 2007, 14:40   #8
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post

your only saying that because my obvious gaming skill scares you!
Don't be so ridiculous... me scared? Never! Erm...

Old 06 October 2007, 14:46   #9
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
when all you have to do is press the fire button for a few minutes the temptation is there.
more easier to click on the mouse one time on a cheat menu

Last edited by turrican3; 06 October 2007 at 23:02.
Old 06 October 2007, 15:01   #10
Graham Humphrey

By the way, if anyone hasn't seen the banned games thread its here.

Interestingly, of the six games listed, only three of them are due to score-leeching problems...
Old 06 October 2007, 15:29   #11
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

you don't find more because you just looked which was banned from the lemonleague.
Old 06 October 2007, 15:49   #12
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

last exemple , leander (must be banned):
first stage, first barrel (view screenshot), you can shoot the barrel anytime you want and each time
it re-appears and make points each time easy to do, a little bit like in agony or rodland an another score.
You must banned leander

Last edited by turrican3; 30 December 2008 at 18:19.
Old 06 October 2007, 16:16   #13
Graham Humphrey

So why did you vote for it then if you knew full well that it might be banned (I'll be the judge of that, by the way)?
Old 06 October 2007, 16:23   #14
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i didn't know, i just looked now.
i didn't have to look a long time first stage first barrel
Old 06 October 2007, 21:04   #15
Graham Humphrey

Right, earlier I had a go at this for the first time. All the enemies respawn (surely you know this) but a couple of points:

You don't get a heck of a lot of points for killing an enemy so it'll take ages to get a decent score if you opt to do that.

There's a lot of going back and forth throughout the game (at least from what I've seen of it) so it's inevitable that you'll come across respawning enemies anyway. There isn't much that can be done about that.

So.... I say no ban on this one.
Old 06 October 2007, 21:06   #16
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Did you try agony yourself to decide too ?
Old 06 October 2007, 21:07   #17
Graham Humphrey

Yes I did. I've played it quite a lot in the past (though mostly to just listen to the beautiful title music ).

All those games on that list I've played myself.
Old 06 October 2007, 21:48   #18
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

and how many times do you take to reach this score 999,999 points with agony first stage boss bug and tell us if it was so easy to slalom between shoots and don't hit the boss and just hit is shoots ?
I think it's a little bit crazy and boring too,i think every player will prefer to explore this beautiful game and if somone make this score 999,999 we will know that he used the big boss bug.
bye
Old 06 October 2007, 22:57   #19
Graham Humphrey

Point missed, completely.

1. It IS very easy to do this. I tried it earlier this evening.

2. It's not necessarily about scoring 999,999, though it's very feasible. You can still easily get a score that's higher than what you could normally expect to achieve through completing the game just by doing this for a few minutes.

Also, can I just point out that this thread is called "Should games be banned in the Games League?", a question you answered thoroughly earlier on. It is not called "Why I think Agony should be allowed". So can you please drop this one now, we've been through that often enough.
Old 06 October 2007, 23:06   #20
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i erase all my off topic
last post in this thread
bye (enough of this too)
good vote to everyone