English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 24 November 2014, 09:47   #1
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

Most effective way of converting sprites /bobs

Is there anything out there that will rip multiple sprites or bobs at various coordinates and sizes to a raw format? I wrote a script driven utility a long time ago, but It's lost to the Sands of time... I've seen a couple of utils that will convert them one at a time, I'm looking for something that can do a screen full of various sizes at once. Thanks
Old 24 November 2014, 11:40   #2
phx
Natteravn

You can try it with bmp2raw from the released Solid Gold sources (tools/bmptoraw.c). It's a portable ANSI-C program. Runs everywhere.

It can cut out multiple BOBs or sprites from a picture in BMP format. BOBs are extracted in interleaved format, with optional mask generation. The picture width has to be a multiple of the BOB or sprite width you want to extract.

Example to extract a maximum of 64 masked font characters of the size 16x20 with 32 colours (5 planes) from a BMP picture:
Code:
bmptoraw menufont16.bmp 16 20 5 MASK 64 > menufont16.bin
menufont16.bin will contains all 64 objects one after another (interleaved, mask appended to each object).

There are many other options. Like for example NOMASK (no mask generation), SPRITE (output sprite data), CMAP (write the picture's RGB4 colour map), etc..

The source:
Attached Files
File Type: c bmptoraw.c (13.5 KB, 155 views)
Old 24 November 2014, 12:05   #3
Apollo

@phx:
Which program did you use for creating the BMPs? Grafx2?

I'm asking because I had the problem that some of the paint tools I used in the past didn't save the colors in the order which were shown in the programs palette (and the indexed format was "wrong" in my point of view). After trying some tools I came back using DPaint IV from within the emulator.
Old 24 November 2014, 12:33   #4
phx
Natteravn

Yes, I'm mostly using GrafX2 and Gimp, although only for minor changes, as I'm no graphician. My brother used Gimp for all Solid Gold graphics, and the Retroguru graphicians use other programs, which I forgot.

I had no problems with GrafX2 and Gimp exporting BMP so far. Although with later Gimp versions you have to make sure to untoggle generation of true-color BMPs during the export, even when your image is indexed.
Old 24 November 2014, 17:25   #5
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

That sounds like a great start! Thanks. Does anyone have a compiled windows binary, I'm on mobile Internet following a house move and can't afford to download a compiler right now.
Old 24 November 2014, 17:56   #6
clenched

Here is the leftover Windows exe from compiling the Solid Gold game. Be forewarned of the unapproved addition to phx's code. This was because the file redirection syntax used in some tools caused LF CR character to be output after before every CR LF in the io. Net result was an 885k ADF and a funny-looking owl on the boot screen.

Code:
#include <fcntl.h>
_setmode(_fileno(stdout),_O_BINARY);
Attached Files
File Type: zip bmptoraw.zip (6.9 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by clenched; 26 November 2014 at 04:34. Reason: correct inaccurate explanation
Old 24 November 2014, 19:21   #7
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

Thank you sir, I will try it out later
Old 24 November 2014, 20:16   #8
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I'm asking because I had the problem that some of the paint tools I used in the past didn't save the colors in the order which were shown in the programs palette (and the indexed format was "wrong" in my point of view). After trying some tools I came back using DPaint IV from within the emulator.
I'm guessing MS Paint was one of them?

I have drawn my own super-sized palette tables, one contains the index numbers whilst the other has the colour values in RGB format

http://www.aliensrcooluk.com/public/...lourValues.PNG

I didn't quite finish the indexing (yet), but so far I only use 16 colour images (usually in bitmap or PNG format).
Old 25 November 2014, 10:13   #9
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by clenched View Post
This was because the file redirection syntax used in some tools caused LF character to be output after every CR in the io.
Wow... indeed! I didn't think about that.

When using stdout then there is no portable way to guarantee binary output. I should better open a new file in binary mode for it...
Old 26 November 2014, 16:19   #10
Apollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
I'm guessing MS Paint was one of them?

[...]

I didn't quite finish the indexing (yet), but so far I only use 16 colour images (usually in bitmap or PNG format).
Thank you. No, I didn't tried MS Paint. I remember having the problem with BMPs exported from Gimp. Using the indexed palette mode in Gimp gave me headaches any way. I was too lazy reading the howto's carefully enough. Then I stepped back to GrafX2 (which is a fine program).
Back in the day I wanted to convert rendered logos with GIMP into an indexed format. But I failed because I wanted to 'sort' the colors before exporting into BMP. Really, I miss 'butcher'.
Old 27 November 2014, 18:22   #11
clenched

This is the first time I've taken a close look at these tools independently. All sorts of fun trinkets to play with.

Maptapper with grid switched on is a good way to make sure the graphics will look as expected. This is phx's example. Repeat the command with CMAP to make a palette that can be loaded by Maptapper. Color 0 has been fudged a little so everything is visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlicedNDiced.png
Views:	284
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	42314  

Last edited by clenched; 27 November 2014 at 19:41.