English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 10 January 2018, 23:53   #41
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Awesome just add Jean Michel Jare Magnetic Fields part 2 and it will be fantastic.
Don’t mind a bit of jarre, i’ll compile u a version with the track though
If i can find it.

I’m more of a carpenter brut and perturbator man myself, won’t fit in bomb jack though.
Old 11 January 2018, 01:58   #42
TuRRIcaNEd
AKA Mr. Rhythm Master/AIS

I said I'd help with the music if mcgeezer wanted
Old 11 January 2018, 23:41   #43
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRRIcaNEd View Post
Cheers buddy - music is being sorted.

Only a short update just to say I've plugged in the scoring system. Most of the collisions are mapped with the exception of the special and extra coins. There's a couple of bugs here and there but nothing to worry about.

Over the weekend I'll add the sprite link so after you collect something it will show the points being added to the score.

Here's the video update. Enjoy.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 January 2018, 07:33   #44
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Ok i did start to draft the in-game songs; want to use a similar approach to rygar using fixed song pattern positions: main loop, P running around, bonus time, level complete, bomb bonus, S bonus, game over; are you able to handle it? In case you can ask some help to sandruzzo.

I want to leave high score tunes separated if possible; if instead you want to have it in the in-game music files let me know.

Am also using microinstruments to keep files light in size.

Quote:
Why not make an original tune for the beginning in stile Sales Curve? (i did the same for Rygar, hoping one day will be published)
Old 12 January 2018, 12:29   #45
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Ok i did start to draft the in-game songs; want to use a similar approach to rygar using fixed song pattern positions: main loop, P running around, bonus time, level complete, bomb bonus, S bonus, game over; are you able to handle it? In case you can ask some help to sandruzzo.
Yep - Seems like a good approach, technically I don't know yet but I can't see it being much of an issue to work out.
Old 13 January 2018, 02:08   #46
TuRRIcaNEd
AKA Mr. Rhythm Master/AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Cheers buddy - music is being sorted.
Jilted!

*kidding*

I might have a stab at a few of the tunes anyway as it looks like an interesting exercise...
Old 13 January 2018, 19:45   #47
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Jilted!

*kidding*

I might have a stab at a few of the tunes anyway as it looks like an interesting exercise...
I am asking you if you can take care of the main tune because have too much stuff in my plate now, got the bad habit to join all projects i like
Old 14 January 2018, 15:36   #48
mcgeezer

Great update this one - only a few bug fixes done, still plenty more to do though.

This update though is all about the music, and a massive thanks to Saimon69 for building the Bombjack tunes. This video update shows only a few of the tunes implemented with more to come - an outstanding job.

Also a huge thanks to WayneK, StingRay and PHX with helping me track down a stupid code/typo error I had in the mod player.

The Protracker player is adding a bit of CPU time in places so I need to have another optimsation session, also for some reason the dev environment crashes after a little while after I use the player routine, quite hard to track down that one as it isn't obvious what is going on.

Enjoy!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 January 2018, 16:45   #49
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Great update this one - only a few bug fixes done, still plenty more to do though.

This update though is all about the music, and a massive thanks to Saimon69 for building the Bombjack tunes. This video update shows only a few of the tunes implemented with more to come - an outstanding job.

Also a huge thanks to WayneK, StingRay and PHX with helping me track down a stupid code/typo error I had in the mod player.

The Protracker player is adding a bit of CPU time in places so I need to have another optimsation session, also for some reason the dev environment crashes after a little while after I use the player routine, quite hard to track down that one as it isn't obvious what is going on.

Enjoy!

[ Show youtube player ]
Are you shutting down the replayer properly? I will bet money the interrupt for the music replayer is still active and hasnt been restored back to the system address.
Old 14 January 2018, 22:58   #50
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Are you shutting down the replayer properly? I will bet money the interrupt for the music replayer is still active and hasnt been restored back to the system address.
Indeed I was shutting down the player in the wrong order, seems to have stabalised things massively.
Old 14 January 2018, 23:14   #51
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Indeed I was shutting down the player in the wrong order, seems to have stabalised things massively.
Been there..... done that
Old 15 January 2018, 23:18   #52
Overflow

Just started reading this thread.

Impressive progress pace, and it looks good too
Old 15 January 2018, 23:30   #53
mcgeezer

Small update this one I'm afraid, been busy with family stuff - wife, kid and all are priority.

Well after spending about 2 hours trying to understand why the hardware sprites were not appearing on the display I eventually figured out it was due to play field display priority - school boy error and me not reading the HRM properly. The other bits were the oddities of using the lower and upper bits of sprite VSTART, VSTOP and HSTART - I guess if you code you'll know what I mean.

Anyway for this update I've added the little sequence that happens when Jack collects the E(xtra) token and he gets an extra life. Part of the sprite is broken but all the code is there to make it work... just a small bug.

Was having a think today and I probably need to swap around the bitplanes of the scene and the sprites. Why you might ask? It's because it dawned on me that by doing so I'd get 4 free extra sprites, but to do so I need to ensure the colours are in the right place. Amiga sprites use the last 16 colours in the colour registers for sprites, currently mine is using those for the display. Probably looking at a good 6 hours work to do it. It's one of those things I can hold off on though as part of a mammoth optimisation session.

Hope you enjoy this small update, enjoy the video.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by mcgeezer; 15 January 2018 at 23:42.
Old 16 January 2018, 03:04   #54
kriz

Such great progress !!!
Old 20 January 2018, 15:15   #55
mcgeezer

In this update I've added the little Start sequence at the beginning of each round. Now believe me when I tell you that this was what I would call 'A RIGHT FUCK ON!'.

I made a bit of a decision early on to not have to clip BOB's and that I would use the hardware sprites for the Start sequence and the Extra sequence because they fit nicely and they are able to traverse the bit planes.

As I mentioned in my previous post in order to use the hardware sprites I needed to swap around the sprite and scene colours, but what I didn't anticipate was that each hardware sprite is allocated to set colour registers (and not to mention figuring out the sprite priorities too).

What this means is that the little start sequence if not done carefully will change colours in the sprites that are already drawn, thus interfering with the the Red bombs, so initially where the bombs were 5 colours I had to reduce them to 4 and swap the colours around so they don't clash with the hardware sprites. The bomb colours are drawn in colour registers 16,20,24 and 28 - painful, but worth it in the end as I'm happy with the result.

Next up is the Game Over sequence and then working on Bomb Jack physics which I think I will make a hardware sprite since I put all the effort in to enabling them. Can probably move the power ball sprite from a Bob to hardware too.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 January 2018, 22:32   #56
phx
Natteravn

How many sprites do you need for the start-sequence? In any case you can reduce the number of colour registers required by setting the AT-bit (attached). Then sprites 0, 2, 4 and 6 would all use COLOR17, 18 and 19 - as long as they don't overlap with the remaining sprites.
Old 20 January 2018, 22:47   #57
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
How many sprites do you need for the start-sequence? In any case you can reduce the number of colour registers required by setting the AT-bit (attached). Then sprites 0, 2, 4 and 6 would all use COLOR17, 18 and 19 - as long as they don't overlap with the remaining sprites.
I need 8 * 16x16 sprites. I didn't know that about the AT-bit, would have came in handy. Have also used the same technique for doing the Game Over sequence but that only needs 4 sprites.
Old 20 January 2018, 22:58   #58
LeCaravage

@phx : Interesting info . But what happen to palette attribution of odd sprites ?
Old 21 January 2018, 10:23   #59
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCaravage View Post
@phx : Interesting info . But what happen to palette attribution of odd sprites ?
Sprites 3, 5, and 7 must be kept blank, otherwise they will act as the most significant bits of the attached sprites.
Old 21 January 2018, 10:24   #60
phx
Natteravn

Without the color information from the even sprites odd sprites will use COLOR20, 24, and 28 (16 + %0100, 16 + %1000, 16 + %1100).