English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 18 May 2004, 17:21   #1
MethodGit

Regarding Amiga Forever Kickstart images...

They can't be utilised by WHDLoad slaves that require KickROM images, can they?
Old 18 May 2004, 17:48   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
They can't be utilised by WHDLoad slaves that require KickROM images, can they?
They are encrypted, so probably not. But you can start WinUAE with the desired ROM image + key file and then use transrom inside WinUAE to create a usable image. (Well, I don't know if it is usable for WHDLoad, at least it is decrypted now and can be used without key file).
Old 19 May 2004, 18:19   #3
derSammler

Quote:
But you can start WinUAE with the desired ROM image + key file and then use transrom inside WinUAE to create a usable image.
However, that will work only with the 1.x roms. The other roms are modified by Cloanto and decrypting them this way will not work.
Old 19 May 2004, 19:39   #4
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsKiller
However, that will work only with the 1.x roms. The other roms are modified by Cloanto and decrypting them this way will not work.
What sort of modifications?
Old 19 May 2004, 19:49   #5
derSammler

Some sort of copy protection. e.g. You can not burn them back to an EPROM because they are modified to not work with a real Amiga.
Old 19 May 2004, 21:05   #6
Amiga1992

BAstards
Old 20 May 2004, 10:06   #7
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
BAstards
I must concur. This will only give peeps more of an incentive to Google for the 'real' images instead. Can't even imagine lots of people even knowing how to execute all that EPROM shizzat anyway.

Where'd you discover that copy protection info anyhoos, WK?
Old 21 May 2004, 19:06   #8
derSammler

Quote:
Where'd you discover that copy protection info anyhoos, WK?
Can't remember where I've read it the first time, but I've also tried to use the decrypted Cloanto roms with a real Amiga several times and it did not work. (neither burned into an EPROM nor by using a softkicker)
Old 01 June 2004, 09:33   #9
carfesh
WinFellow team

Since I'm curious by nature I took a look at the decoded Cloanto Kickstart images; they have the very same checksums the ones I dumped from real Amigas have, so I really can't see how Cloanto modified them. I didn't bother doing a bit by bit comparison, but since they have the same checksum I suppose they actually are the same. Do you have any reliable source for that information?

I think if these ROMs didn't work, in the decoded form, either something went wrong during the decoding process, or you're doing something else wrong. Did you use any of the 'real' images the same way successfully?
Old 01 June 2004, 11:07   #10
derSammler

I don't know which version of Amiga Forever you have nor which Kickstart images you've decoded. The Kickstart 3.1 for example IS modified by Cloanto.

I'm into Kickstart images for years now and I don't make such stupid mistakes.
Old 14 March 2012, 12:44   #11
Mequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcGTW_Webmaster View Post
Apologies for bumping a very old thread. However I must say, this is not quite accurate when it comes to recent Amiga Forever editions, although there is a grain of truth here.

Amiga Forever 2012 Plus or Premium (the edition I have) comes with several Commodore-Amiga 3.1 ROMs for different Amiga models, as well as a Cloanto "3.x" ROM. The former can be ripped with Transrom to produce an unencrypted ROM file (I tried it - it definitely works). The latter cannot be ripped this way.

It is also possible to use Transrom to rip both 1.3 and 1.2 ROMs from Amiga Forever Value Edition (which I also confirmed). This is the only way ROMs from the Value Edition can be used on non-x86 non-Windows platforms.

Last edited by Mequa; 14 March 2012 at 12:49.
Old 14 March 2012, 14:56   #12
thomas

Quote:
This is the only way ROMs from the Value Edition can be used on non-x86 non-Windows platforms.
That's not true. All flavours of UAE can deal with encrypted roms and .key files. On older versions of UAE you may need to configure the file name of the rom.key file while current versions of WinUAE will find the rom.key file automatically.
Old 15 March 2012, 12:54   #13
Mequa

The Value Edition of Amiga Forever 2012 does not include a rom.key file. Cloanto confirmed that for me via email, and I also confirmed it myself with my own install of the Value Edition.

Regarding my enquiry to them about using the Value Edition on non-Windows platforms, I got this reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPlatform Help Desk
The Value Edition of Amiga Forever is not suitable for this use I am afraid (it is Windows-only, and there is no rom.key file).