English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 January 2013, 19:21   #1
demolition
Unregistered User

Indivision ECS glitches and 50/62Hz problem

I just received the Indivision ECS yesterday along with an A604 for my A600 (with ACA620). The installation isn't too pretty as it's bending out my trapdoor cover a bit. Also, I think the keyboard is pushing down on it, but I don't think it can be installed any better.

Performance-wise there's a few issue with it. I looked through the older threads about this with other having similar issues, but haven't found a clear solution for it.

1. I get small vertical stripes on the monitor and occasional full screen flashes. It's worst when the floppydrive is active, but I also see some stripes occasionally when it's not. Does anyone know if there's a solution to this problem?

2. I want to have it output 50Hz, but 80% of the time it outputs 62 Hz instead. If I restart the Indivision several times using the config tool, it will eventually output 50 Hz as its supposed to. A few times it even starts in TV emulation mode, and I'll have to start the config tool to set it back to scanline emulation. It's like it's not reading its configuration properly.
This is also something I can see happens to other people, but have also not found a solution.

I have tried with firmware 1.01 (which it came with) and also 1.10 and latest config tool.

If I ignore the glitches and manage to get it into 50 Hz mode with scanline emulation, I think the image does look very good though for gaming. Much better than the MkII could ever achieve.
Old 13 January 2013, 19:34   #2
BarryB
Amigaholic

I had the vertical glitches on my Indi ECS and sent it back to Amigakit to have a fix applied, came back perfect after the fix.

Here's the thread I posted in with the problem:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65546
Old 13 January 2013, 19:47   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

Yes, I've read through that thread, but I would assume that the ones in stock atm would have that fix already?

It could be an issue with my PSU as the 5V level is a little low on both my PSUs, however, this has not been a problem before.
Old 13 January 2013, 20:38   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

Here's a picture of the glitches when accessing the floppy drive. Lots of small ones, and one big one, which is a screen wide black line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	indivision ecs glitches.png
Views:	629
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	33858  
Old 13 January 2013, 22:06   #5
amigoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I want to have it output 50Hz, but 80% of the time it outputs 62 Hz instead...
Yes, this seems to be a design flaw, which probably cannot be fixed by firmware update... Some problem with the initialization of the stored settings in the scandoubler. Although this is very annoying and was reported many times before, no response and solution/fix from the manufacturer was given.
Just run and quit the config or flash tool as long as it gives the right settings.
Old 13 January 2013, 22:28   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

If this has always been an issue, it's probably not likely to be fixed, given how old the product is now.
If only they'd be testing their products properly before saying 'go' to the manufacturer.. It's not like this problem is hard to detect.

If only the 50Hz part worked, then the glitches would be a minor problem as the glitches seem to reduce by 95% when in 50 Hz mode. Smaller power draw maybe?
Old 13 January 2013, 23:13   #7
Photon

Don't give up on Jens, he seems to be around But he doesn't hang on forums. If it's a known hardware issue with a fix, do like he suggests and send it back to where you bought it.

These types of glitches can have to do with poor grounding or RF interference, sometimes occurring with an overloaded or bad PSU. This is custom hardware, so it's a generic diagnosis. I don't know if you can keep your RF shield on after installing this, but if you can improve shielding or grounding, or test with a different or higher spec PSU after any hardware fix, then it's something to try.