English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 30 March 2018, 01:57   #3021
mattymuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
plasmab any thoughts of bulding a new 1200 motherboard?? copy original , what would you charge?
Just wait for Jens A1200 Reloaded...
Old 30 March 2018, 02:14   #3022
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymuc View Post
Just wait for Jens A1200 Reloaded...
Yea, only $500 unpopulated.
Old 30 March 2018, 08:01   #3023
plasmab
Banned

Terrible Fire Accelerators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
plasmab any thoughts of bulding a new 1200 motherboard?? copy original , what would you charge?

I think changing stuff on motherboards is a path to a support nightmare.

I would build a PCI bridge onto a board, maybe add another IDE channel and buffer it.
Old 30 March 2018, 11:28   #3024
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
Yea, only $500 unpopulated.
It is not nice to spread FUD. It will sell as a complete product.

The target price of the main board with AGA chips, DVI-I output and RTG solution is in the 350,- EUR
Old 30 March 2018, 16:00   #3025
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
It is not nice to spread FUD. It will sell as a complete product.

The target price of the main board with AGA chips, DVI-I output and RTG solution is in the 350,- EUR

Getting a bit off topic here.
Old 30 March 2018, 22:24   #3026
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

@ Stephen:
Finally found time to solder up a Rev.3 PCB i got from You - runs nice @50Mhz on A500, however, has same gitches on A2000 like mine Rev.2 boards tested before..

Have also tried Rev.3 with some Zorro II cards i have here:
AT Bus Clone 2008 (IDE Board)
4MB RAM Card
both Zorro II cards are not working with TF - 4MB RAM card is shown as defective
if i add IDE Card - both Zorro cards are ignored.

All tests was done with and without CDIS jumper mounted..

Waiting on 74F139 demultiplexers now, to be able to build 2.5 Slow RAM GARY adapter, however, i got a feeling, it will not work with RC2 for same reason.. Can You, please, take a look at it some day?

Actually, A2000 firmware is urgently needed as many users are asking for it..

Will test both rev's TF530 with A1000 tomorrow and post my results here
regards,

-Viktor
Old 31 March 2018, 03:06   #3027
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
Waiting on 74F139 demultiplexers now, to be able to build 2.5 Slow RAM GARY adapter, however, i got a feeling, it will not work with RC2 for same reason.. Can You, please, take a look at it some day?
I've been meaning to build one of these and send it to Stephen to help him reproduce the issue but I keep having trouble finding working ram chips. (The Chinese ones are very much a hit and a miss.) I am hoping to be able to do this soon... it's a long weekend and the kid has being exhausting me, but hopefully I can do this on Monday.
Old 31 March 2018, 10:48   #3028
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
I've been meaning to build one of these and send it to Stephen to help him reproduce the issue but I keep having trouble finding working ram chips. (The Chinese ones are very much a hit and a miss.) I am hoping to be able to do this soon... it's a long weekend and the kid has being exhausting me, but hopefully I can do this on Monday.

Yeah I am aware people are waiting on stuff. I haven’t even been able to set foot in the lab for a week due to other stuff going on. It’s setup to debug the TF534 at the moment.

I’ve not even had time to play with my new logic analyser... so much going on.

As many will be aware I went to sit my instrument rating test and wasn’t able to due to a missing bit of paper (actually a date on the last page of a bit of paper I had was out) so I’ve been rebooking everything, getting a new visa, looking after my child because my wife has been going crazy with me away and trying to catch up at work from all the time I’ve been off.

I’ve built the TF534 but there is an issue with the FPU .. not sure if it’s a soldering or logic issue yet.
Old 31 March 2018, 12:32   #3029
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
@ Stephen:

Actually, A2000 firmware is urgently needed as many users are asking for it..
I've never officially supported the A2000 with the TF530. Its aimed at the A500 and Atari STFM. I'm happy to try and tweak things for the 2000 but I dont intend to spend months on it. This is what the 534 is aimed at fixing.
Old 31 March 2018, 15:34   #3030
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
I've never officially supported the A2000 with the TF530. Its aimed at the A500 and Atari STFM. I'm happy to try and tweak things for the 2000 but I dont intend to spend months on it. This is what the 534 is aimed at fixing.
I know, mate,
first thing i do - i warn about it all single person obtaining a board from me. Also everyone was warned it is rather a hobby than a commercial project done by one single person in free time between work and family. So users should accept it or free to go for commercial products.. So it's totally ok. I just asked about with hope that You take a look at it some day, especially, after that pre-RC firmware is working otherwise fine except been a bit picky to CF cards. That's it..

There is one more thing about RC2 firmware i have noticed by myself and also some users have reported to me. Wanna share it here, maybe someone else had same problems. Maybe it is indeed what's causing crashing on 534:

I'm building 50Mhz boards only, so my further experiments was done on 50Mhz boards only.. Since i started to use 1k resistor array's - i have noticed that almost all cards have problems at boot. LED light flashes for 2-3 seconds, then reboot follows, LED flashes, Amiga reboots (again) till finally Software Guru message appears, after pressing left mouse button - board loads fine and works without any issues. I can load WHDLoad games and software without any issues..till i do soft reboot. then that all repeats... Boards with 2k2 or 4k7 resistor array's are not affected with this issue.. i have to admit 1k resistence is a bit too low..
Did anyone had same issues here?

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 31 March 2018 at 15:42.
Old 31 March 2018, 15:43   #3031
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
I know, mate,
first thing i do - i warn about it all single person obtaining a board from me. Also everyone was warned it is rather a hobby than a commercial project done by one single person in free time between work and family. So users should accept it or free to go for commercial products.. So it's totally ok. I just asked about with hope that You take a look at it some day, especially, after that pre-RC firmware is working otherwise fine except been a bit picky to CF cards. That's it..

There is one more thing about RC2 firmware i have noticed by myself and also some users have reported to me. Wanna share it here, maybe someone else had same problems. Maybe it is indeed what's causing crashing on 534:

I'm building 50Mhz boards only, so my further experiments was done on 50Mhz boards only.. Since i started to use 1k resistor array's - i have noticed that almost all cards have problems at boot. LED light flashes for 2-3 seconds, then reboot follows, LED flashes, Amiga reboots (again) till finally Software Guru message appears, after pressing left mouse button - board loads fine and works without any issues. I can load WHDLoad games and software without any issues..till i do soft reboot. then that all repeats... Boards with 2k2 or 4k7 resistor array's are not affected with this issue.. i have to admit 1k resistence is a bit too low..

Possibly having this issue with TF534 right now. I suspect it’s causing too much current draw for the Amiga power supply.
Old 31 March 2018, 20:17   #3032
Homer79

Although I only have my board running at 25Mhz at the moment, I've since
had a new 030+fpu rated for 40Mhz delivered. Would i need to tweak the
component values or am I ok to run at 40Mhz once the new crystal is delivered.

Quote:
I know, mate,

Old 31 March 2018, 20:41   #3033
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer79 View Post
Although I only have my board running at 25Mhz at the moment, I've since
had a new 030+fpu rated for 40Mhz delivered. Would i need to tweak the
component values or am I ok to run at 40Mhz once the new crystal is delivered.
You can do a slight overclock of 40Mhz CPU & FPU and let them run @50Mhz, these work nice and stable even without heatsinks, however, i do install passive heatsinks for boards shipped to Australia & Italy as they have more sunny days as usual german summer

What about resistor array's we spoken above - try Your build and let us know if You have any stability issues
Old 01 April 2018, 18:17   #3034
Homer79

It is very annoying, I have a gotek drive which I've reflashed but it only displays F-F
When its powered up. I can do USB updates, but alas it does nothing else.
But the jumpers on this drive are different to all the conversion guides.
I've flashed Diagram and I can do every test fine, its showing the TF530 board.
I did wonder what the 64K memory segment was for though.
Unless there is a way of preparing the compact flash drive in windows I'm stuck
Waiting for my new gotek drive to arrive.
Which of the resistor networks do you need to change for stability?
Old 01 April 2018, 20:12   #3035
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
It is very annoying, I have a gotek drive which I've reflashed but it only displays F-F
When its powered up. I can do USB updates, but alas it does nothing else.
did You copied the files necessary to boot into root?
Quote:
Unless there is a way of preparing the compact flash drive in windows I'm stuck
Waiting for my new gotek drive to arrive.
Use WinUAE and you'll be fine
[ Show youtube player ]
Quote:
Which of the resistor networks do you need to change for stability?
seems that one beneath the FPU is the bugger

PS
totally missed the stream today... There was no notification for it!?
PPS
have tested EzdineG's A1000 adaptor today, i can confirm it works excellent with TF530 accelerator card. Pictures will follow soon

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 02 April 2018 at 00:09.
Old 05 April 2018, 09:18   #3036
plasmab
Banned

Started to build another TF534 last night. Update later tonight
Old 05 April 2018, 19:17   #3037
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Started to build another TF534 last night. Update later tonight
Hope this will give us a lot of answers
Old 05 April 2018, 23:40   #3038
plasmab
Banned

Same issue seen with clean build. Even when powered by the 6632B... will investigate further
Old 06 April 2018, 09:50   #3039
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Same issue seen with clean build. Even when powered by the 6632B... will investigate further
Hmm..Ok, at least we know it isn't hardware related..
Old 06 April 2018, 10:15   #3040
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Hmm..Ok, at least we know it isn't hardware related..

I’m betting I’ve not decoupled the ram cpld enough. However the issue seems to get worse the more caps I put on. Very strange