English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 November 2017, 06:51   #1
Foebane
Banned

Difference between Fullscreen and Full-window?

Both fill the screen with the Amiga image, but whilst clicking the middle mouse button in Fullscreen puts the Windows desktop back on, in Full-window the mouse pointer appears instead. So basically, Full-window is basically Windowed that fills the whole screen but is still on the desktop, right?

I ask this because I have realised that I have fullscreen issues with Windows 10 and DirectX 9, so I'd like to use the next best thing (Full-window) which should clear up those problems by avoiding Fullscreen altogether.
Old 09 November 2017, 09:39   #2
meynaf
son of 68k

I experience problems with fullscreen too, not only with winuae but also with several other programs, and indeed full-window is fine in this regard.

We had something real great with Intuition screens, btw. Stupid peecees
Old 09 November 2017, 15:37   #3
Dan

Quote:
Full-window is basically Windowed that fills the whole screen but is still on the desktop, right?
Right, it is basically borderless window using the desktop resolution.

Fulscreen on the other side changes the screen resolution to the one which you have setup.

This may cause 1~2 sec delay, before the actual emulated screen is displayed, due to the graphics card need to change the resolution.

Fullwindow does not have this delays, and you can still access other apps by using alt tab.

Fullscreen resolution are recommended for slow pc's, because you can gain emulation speed, but on new'ish pc's this is not noticeable.
Old 09 November 2017, 16:01   #4
honx

fullscreen is messing up icons (especially on systems with more than one monitor).
fullwindow does not cause these kind of problems...
Old 09 November 2017, 17:52   #5
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
fullscreen is messing up icons (especially on systems with more than one monitor).
fullwindow does not cause these kind of problems...
It didn't mess up my icons since windows 10. I have 2 monitors (HD+UHD) and I use custom resolutions like 320x180 in fullscreen all the time...
Old 09 November 2017, 18:05   #6
meynaf
son of 68k

On my 8.1 fullscreen messes up timings completely. Everything becomes slow and sluggish.
Old 09 November 2017, 18:14   #7
honx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
It didn't mess up my icons since windows 10. I have 2 monitors (HD+UHD) and I use custom resolutions like 320x180 in fullscreen all the time...
i'm still at windows 7 which is good. windows 10 will never infest my hd.
once i'm not able to use windows 7 anymore, i'm forced to move to mac.
Old 09 November 2017, 18:19   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

This is getting too offtopic and nothing to do with WinUAE.
Old 09 November 2017, 19:05   #9
Foebane
Banned

Let's get back on topic, then:

I noticed that when I go in Full-window, Low Latency Vsync (50/60Hz) no longer works, probably because I'm on the desktop. I've also noticed that WinUAE is now subject to the Desktop Windows Manager and its Vsync ability.

So why not just use DWM Vsync as opposed to Low Latency Vsync? It actually seems I have no choice, as it's imposed on the Desktop.
Old 09 November 2017, 23:01   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This has indeed nothing to do with WinUAE or Win7/Win10 directly. I've never had issues with WinUAE in fullscreen mode, no matter what Windows version i used for it (Windows 10 atm). Your systems are messed up somehow, e.g. due to drivers, installed tools, OS settings etc.
Old 09 November 2017, 23:18   #11
DamienD
Banned

Totally agree

...if you don't know how to install an OS, download / configure device drivers properly, then I fail to see how this is a WinUAE issue / Toni's problem?
Old 09 November 2017, 23:38   #12
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
I've never had issues with WinUAE in fullscreen mode, no matter what Windows version i used for it (Windows 10 atm).
I had no issues when upgrading from Win7 to Win10, everything mostly ran the same, except that other emulators no longer worked in fullscreen neither.

Quote:
Your systems are messed up somehow, e.g. due to drivers, installed tools, OS settings etc.
I had problems after doing a full install of Win10 on a fresh blank SSD. And that attitude is not helpful ("messed up").

Quote:
This has indeed nothing to do with WinUAE or Win7/Win10 directly.
What do you mean, directly? I'd say it's direct. I have been scouring the internet for similar accounts of DirectX 9 problems on Win10 and I have tried everything suggested to others, including installing my own drivers instead of Windows' own, and other things, and nothing has worked.
Old 09 November 2017, 23:44   #13
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
if you don't know how to install an OS, download / configure device drivers properly
Are you trying to insult me?
Old 09 November 2017, 23:48   #14
DamienD
Banned

Firstly, sorry for the off topic Toni

Ok, let's be honest...

If you are going to use any *new* Micro$oft OS then, really you are a beta tester for at least 2 years until they work out all the issues and it becomes stable.

That's fine if you are technical and have the time / patience to:

... Read forums / latest bug fixes etc.
... Apply all the latest fixes / patches; OS and driver related etc.

Most "normal" people don't have the time and wouldn't even know where to start...

We are rolling out "Windows 10 / Office 2016" at my work; it's a huge project worldwide. There's good reason why the majority of corporations are usually a few years behind any M$ OS releases

Anyway, if I was you, forget Windows 10 for a year or so and go back to the stable Windows 7 OS.

...or, keep up-to-date with everything.
Old 09 November 2017, 23:48   #15
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The only way you could get past all these issues you've had latetly is to ask a friend to setup a fresh system for you. There is no way that somebody could help you here properly. Remote maintenance is obviously not working. Maybe it sounds harsh or even rude, but that's the way i would go.
Old 10 November 2017, 00:15   #16
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Firstly, sorry for the off topic Toni

Ok, let's be honest...

If you are going to use any *new* Micro$oft OS then, really you are a beta tester for at least 2 years until they work out all the issues and it becomes stable.

That's fine if you are technical and have the time / patience to:

... Read forums / latest bug fixes etc.
... Apply all the latest fixes / patches; OS and driver related etc.

Most "normal" people don't have the time and wouldn't even know where to start...

We are rolling out "Windows 10 / Office 2016" at my work; it's a huge project worldwide. There's good reason why the majority of corporations are usually a few years behind any M$ OS releases

Anyway, if I was you, forget Windows 10 for a year or so and go back to the stable Windows 7 OS.

...or, keep up-to-date with everything.
I've owned a PC since 1995, and you talk to me as if I'm not technically-minded and am a newbie. You don't know me, I must've installed countless version of Windows in my time, and the only thing I did differently this time was to say no to all of the plethora of extra options that Win10 offered me during install. Are you suggesting I should just let it all pass and then turn it off later? Can I do that?
Old 10 November 2017, 00:18   #17
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The only way you could get past all these issues you've had latetly is to ask a friend to setup a fresh system for you. There is no way that somebody could help you here properly. Remote maintenance is obviously not working. Maybe it sounds harsh or even rude, but that's the way i would go.
Many people have reported bugs with DirectX 9 Fullscreen mode with Windows 10, maybe I'm one of them? Besides, there are workarounds with windowed options. Why is that so hard to fathom?

And Toni, sorry about the extensive talk of Windows, but I am also talking about WinUAE, even if only a bit.
Old 10 November 2017, 00:37   #18
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I've owned a PC since 1995, and you talk to me as if I'm not technically-minded and am a newbie. You don't know me, I must've installed countless version of Windows in my time, and the only thing I did differently this time was to say no to all of the plethora of extra options that Win10 offered me during install. Are you suggesting I should just let it all pass and then turn it off later? Can I do that?
...well, all I have to go by is the amount of questions that you constantly ask on EAB without looking into things yourself.

*technical* people would try things thoroughly, give exact details of the scenario / issues encountered, document every step taken to replicate and then finally provide substantial questions (which you've failed at in virtually every thread you've raised, as far as I can see)...

...and to top it off, you then blame WinUAE

Anyway, this is going to sound harsh, but personally I really can't be bothered replying to your endless threads / questions anymore...

I've spend way too much time in the past trying to assist you; only to be told; "Nah, not great, going back to how it was."

The boy who cried wolf, bored now
Old 10 November 2017, 09:28   #19
Foebane
Banned

I've sent you a PM, DamienD.
Old 10 November 2017, 16:10   #20
Mclane
Old retro god.

Thread lock please, it keeps digressing back to Non Winuae stuff..