Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 March 2004, 23:57   #41
Djay
95th User

will accept word docs?

and would be able to use pictures?
Old 02 March 2004, 01:19   #42
khephren

Images, crappy midi files, useless flash anims, anything you want.

Can use Word Docs, we'll just convert them to HTML.
Old 02 March 2004, 15:22   #43
Djay
95th User

ahhh.. html based... ok, i can do that!!! please dont tell me we will have to use an internet browser to view the new grapevine... please tell me you have written a program that will display html instead!!!!
Old 02 March 2004, 16:17   #44
khephren

I could tell you it isn't web based, but it'll be a complete lie.

It works with MSIE, Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, Firebird/fox (well it did until it changed name).

Dunno if it works on any other browser, as long as it supports JavaScript and CSS1 it'll be ok.

Last edited by khephren; 02 March 2004 at 16:52.
Old 02 March 2004, 18:13   #45
CHiEF
Captain

Floppy disk

thats not a diskmag is it... thats a website!
Old 02 March 2004, 18:38   #46
Amiga1992

Uhm that's not a diskmag alright...

...and PC based

*goes away*
Old 02 March 2004, 19:23   #47
khephren

Depends on the definition you have of a diskmag. If you mean a 880k Amiga or 1.44 PC edition then no, we never intended for that to happen.

If you mean an edition you can download from the net, then yes that's what we're doing.

The web based edition is there for platform we can't code for and for people who can't be arsed to download the edition.

I'd be more than happy if we were contacted by people willing to work on other platforms.

"...and PC based" duh!
Old 02 March 2004, 19:39   #48
BippyM
Global Moderator

You know whats funny..

I got an Email of DazzABoy as we have been chatting on BBS's etc for years

Small World
Old 03 March 2004, 00:33   #49
Djay
95th User

i was kinda look forward for a non IE grapevine experience,

yes, html crossed with whatever browser is an easy option.... but its kinda like reading the original grapevine with ppmore...

now don't get me wrong, i'm not slagging off the new Grapevine, writing the articles is hard enough i am sure (and getting others in the scene to do so is probably even harder)...

i kinda imagined the new Grapevine to run in its own program, and maybe use a basic menu system, coupled with indexed html.

i hope i'm making sense.
Old 05 March 2004, 15:52   #50
khephren

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
You know whats funny..

I got an Email of DazzABoy as we have been chatting on BBS's etc for years

Small World
Yeah he's an editor, I just edit his editing

@DJay

I'll have to have a word with the GV commitee (ha!) and ask what is going to happen in the future.

I have a half finished PC GV engine, and if I pushed myself enough I could write an AGA edition on the Amiga.

BUT at the moment I've got my own work to do, and so GV has taken a back burner for the moment, but it's basically all done.

Yes it is hard to write articles, some of the crap I read of mine in ye olde grapevine is horrific, and I ain't got any better in the intervening years, so I stick to the technical stuff.

We are open to suggestions and comments, sensible ones anyway, and it will progress soon enough but ffs we ain't even got an issue out yet
Old 05 March 2004, 16:12   #51
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Tsk tsk...

When I asked if you had an Amiga coder, you said you did, I was ready to offer to do the Amiga version, because as far as a coding exercise, Grapevine is nothing more than a basic database.

As for giving you Dark's, graphics, I'd much rather release them as a full production as was originally intended. The slideshow demo for them is to all intents and purposes done, all I need now is a decent intro style frontend, and music, which I dont have.

So I make the offer now, as long as this isn't aborted halfway through, I'll code the Amiga version, don't much give a toss if its OCS AGA or whatever, but seeing as i had a rather muted (and thats putting it politely) response last time..... I dont hold out much hope.
Old 05 March 2004, 16:48   #52
khephren

Hi Galahad,

Er yes, we did think we had an Amiga coder, but we didn't realise at the time it was a rewrite of the World Charts code, that's when that fell apart.

Your offer to code it is excellent, and I'll take you up on it. What do you need from us? Graphics? A design?

Ok I understand about the graphics, that's fair enough.

None of the people behind the current GV is going to give it up, we're determined to make this work, and we've had the same "muted" response, but fuck it, we're working hard on the content and dribs and drabs are coming in from the so called "scene".
Old 05 March 2004, 17:17   #53
Amiga1992

Galahad: Music in which format is that you need?
Old 06 March 2004, 00:48   #54
DaZZaBoY

Floppy disk

Quote:
Originally posted by CHiEF
thats not a diskmag is it... thats a website!
Well it's a website that looks as close to the original design diskmag that you will ever see

Cheers,

:.DaZZaBoY.: [GV editor]

Old 06 March 2004, 01:28   #55
DaZZaBoY

Quote:
Originally posted by khephren
Yeah he's an editor, I just edit his editing
Not quite right Marc.

I do 90% of the article submitting and editing and you add smart arse comments to the bottom of them.

:.DaZZaBoY.:

Old 06 March 2004, 01:34   #56
khephren

Quote:
I do 90% of the article submitting and editing and you add smart arse comments to the bottom of them.
My prerogative as administrator I'm afraid, you didn't read the small print
Old 06 March 2004, 01:35   #57
Djay
95th User

sooooo..... just to get this straight in my head...

Grapevine will return as a downloadable HTML based series of files that will work in a web browser?

are you interested in a non browser edition for the PC?

i have been looking into HTML support in a programming language, so (in theory) it would be possible to actually have a non browser based program to, errr, view Grapevine and it would also support mp3/mod
Old 06 March 2004, 01:41   #58
Djay
95th User

the difficult part is to actually have an administration program that will let you compile the docs/html with, rather than change the source code for each release....
Old 06 March 2004, 13:13   #59
khephren

Right, let's get this clear now.

Internet

GV, at the moment, is web based, it's PHP/MySQL based. You click on the link and there is the index, click on a link and the article comes up. It's so simple, anyone could right it.

The music is the problem, but I have a program we've christened GVEE (the Grapevine Experience Enhancer) which will play the editor's choice of music for that issue. Tacky, but it's pretty good.

PC v1

I started writing the GV software on the PC, but I couldn't spend the time on it I wanted to finish it properly.

PC/Linux v2

We now have someone working on the PC and Linux editions. I've got to get round to the graphics for it, but that is in hand.

Amiga v1

Someone volunteered to do an Amiga edition, it was going OK until we discovered it was a hack of the World Charts code. Not heard anything so I'm guessing it's dead now

Amiga v2

If Galahad codes it, we'll simply take the web edition, put in any color codes needed and release it that way. Same goes for the PC edition really.

Any other format is up for grabs, no plans for any other computer at the moment.

The most important thing is to get issue one out, to make people aware we are around again, and maybe that'll shake the bone idleness out of people.

Last edited by khephren; 06 March 2004 at 13:18.
Old 06 March 2004, 16:14   #60
DaZZaBoY

Ok then,

Just to add a few further comments to what Kefren has already covered.

The platform specific idea was the original route were going to take for the revival of GV but we had plenty of offers from the GV mail listabout coding an Amiga version etc.. but when it came to the crunch, nothing happened?

The web based route was the easiest option and is the fastest way of making it cross platform viable (thru any web browser) and the quickest way of getting a first issue out into the big wide world and getting the project noticed!

As K said, we have a guy working on a Win32 version but he has become a father in the last few days so production will be slow on that for the time being.

Mainly what we need NOW is article submission and plenty of it.

Suprised to see Galahad working on a revival idea, I knew nothing about this? Did he receive any articles for it?

Cheerz,

:.DaZZaBoY.: [GV editor]