English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 28 July 2018, 12:03   #1
Foebane

DOpus: Doesn't like executing files with long names

I have had the situation lately of trying to execute (double-clicking) on files in DOpus, but a lot of them have 30 or more characters, and the longer file names will not execute but crash with a "Suspend/Reboot" message, invariably with errors "80000008", "80000006" and "80000003".

When I shorten these names, then they execute normally, but I can't really shorten the names. So can I force DOpus to execute longer file names? Anything in the config, for example?

Then again, if I use Run, then it works fine with no issues. Can I swap "Execute" and "Run" on the buttons to make "Run" the default for double-click?
Old 28 July 2018, 12:33   #2
Foebane

I think I found a solution that works without having to modify any config:

Look at the filename, if it is less than a certain length and is not cut off on the end, then it will EXECUTE with double-click. Otherwise, RUN with Ctrl+U will be used.

Simples.
Old 28 July 2018, 13:24   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
but I can't really shorten the names.

With Dopus4 you have to shorten the names "before executing them" otherwise they will be in use and you will not be able to do it anymore. In any case it is strongly discouraged to use very long names on the files
Old 28 July 2018, 13:50   #4
daxb

Just out of interest. Can you give some examples of executable files with more then 30 chars? I've never seen such files.
Old 28 July 2018, 14:46   #5
PeterK

Is that DOpus 4.x or 5.x ?

The history of DOpus 4 states that long filename support was introduced with Dopus 4.13, but there were still several bug fixes until 4.16. I use 4.17pre21 and never had any problems with long filenames.

http://dopus.free.fr/

You may also want to adjust the DOpus config then: Operation => List format => displayed lengths => file name = some hundred pixels !

Last edited by PeterK; 28 July 2018 at 15:17.
Old 28 July 2018, 16:58   #6
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Just out of interest. Can you give some examples of executable files with more then 30 chars? I've never seen such files.
Foebane loves to rename files with quite long descriptions; see here
Old 28 July 2018, 17:27   #7
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Foebane loves to rename files with quite long descriptions; see here
Oh man, did I really do that? Things have changed a lot since then. The long filenames are still there, however, just not that configuration crap at the start
Old 28 July 2018, 19:53   #8
Foebane

So this is the new system: left side is for single executables, and right side is for extracted folders with original short filenames inside. I use these names to try and remain consistent throughout the collection, that's why I altered them in the first place, as the original names are extremely short and cryptic AND inconsistent.

Also, I've highlighted when to use Execute and when to use Run. It works fine for the short time I've tried it, but I've yet to confirm the procedure.

EDIT: I've also included a screenshot of the DOpus version. The version I'm using works fine, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	59
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	59029   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.png
Views:	101
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	59030  

Last edited by Foebane; 28 July 2018 at 20:25.
Old 28 July 2018, 20:37   #9
jPV

Hmm.. does that Execute button use the Execute command, which is meant to run script files? Can it be used for executables too?

Or is the button just called Execute, but it does it in some other way? Which way?
Old 28 July 2018, 21:04   #10
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Hmm.. does that Execute button use the Execute command, which is meant to run script files? Can it be used for executables too?

Or is the button just called Execute, but it does it in some other way? Which way?
I have no idea. Seems a bit silly to have two "run" commands, frankly.

EDIT: In DOpus, some buttons have two functions, accessible via a left- or right-click, and the extra function is indicated by the little fold in the corner of the button. The button "Execute" is left-click (no keyboard shortcut) and I think does the same thing when double clicking on the filename, and "Run" is accessible via right-click or Ctrl-U. It really is a strange setup.

Last edited by Foebane; 28 July 2018 at 21:13.
Old 28 July 2018, 22:32   #11
daxb

I would try DOpus V4.17 at least to test if the problem stays. For the filenames I've never seen such cryptic. And as PeterK suggested, expand the file lister width.
Old 28 July 2018, 22:34   #12
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I would try DOpus V4.17 at least to test if the problem stays. For the filenames I've never seen such cryptic. And as PeterK suggested, expand the file lister width.
I have expanded the lister width, both sides. They're at 64.

As for the filenames, I mean that they're shortened, mostly three-letter-acronyms, and so forth. It's not fair to call them cryptic, but I figured I could present them in a more comprehensive way, as demonstrated above.

I'm also able to use longer filenames than 30 because my configs use Windows folders for the hard drives on WinUAE. I've had no problems, as long as all archive extractions happen under WinUAE and DOpus.

Last edited by Foebane; 28 July 2018 at 23:22.
Old 28 July 2018, 23:22   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post

Do not confuse the Internal Dopus4 command "Execute" with Execute AmigaDos command.
The Execute AmigaDos command only runs simple scripts, while the "Execute" Dopus4 command can execute file executables or "executable" scripts.
Old 30 July 2018, 16:13   #14
kolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
the "Execute" Dopus4 command ...
.. should really be named "Run"
Old 30 July 2018, 21:45   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes,in fact, the difference between the two internal commands of Dopus4 is not understood (RUN and Execute)