English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 March 2024, 15:11   #21
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
40 years ago today. P100 launched on March 7th 1994
So 30 years algo, unless you're posting from the future.
Old 07 March 2024, 18:10   #22
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladR View Post
Yeah, but what resolution is that running at ? Looks like, at the very least, 640x480, but likely more. There's no info on the game in the YT description, so I won't try to guess more.
OF COURSE if you have to translate it to Amiga will need to go low res, no way around it, just the engine need some (a lot of) tweaks if not a full rewrite to be at least acceptable

[visionary]
but what I envision with a reverse engineer of Outrun or Turbo Outrun or even Outrun Europa engine is a base for racing games so to create other 2.5 racing games in a similar way to what Scorpion does for platformers, and that is why i point hard on this direction and to the Outrun disassembled source code, there is JUST the little inconvenience to not know how to code in assembly not even to save my own life -_-
[/visionary]
Old 07 March 2024, 19:24   #23
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
40 years ago today. P100 launched on March 7th 1994
Not sure I understand the reference/sarcasm. I don't think I was off in the "30 years" by more than 2-3 yrs, so about 90% correct - which is an incredible feat for me, given I don't often recall things from 2 weeks ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
[visionary]
but what I envision with a reverse engineer of Outrun or Turbo Outrun or even Outrun Europa engine is a base for racing games so to create other 2.5 racing games in a similar way to what Scorpion does for platformers, and that is why i point hard on this direction and to the Outrun disassembled source code, there is JUST the little inconvenience to not know how to code in assembly not even to save my own life -_-
[/visionary]
But don't we already have that with Cannonball ? I recall seeing plenty vids of Cannonball on Vampire. It's in Git, so anyone can take it and play with it already.

I won't because I have my own scanline road engine on both Jaguar and Vampire, so I won't waste time trying to understand somebody else's code (as my own code is fully commented and written from scratch), but I figure anybody who hasn't rolled their own engine can just grab the Cannonball and run with it, no ?

Is there anything inherently wrong with Cannonball codebase that I am missing ?

Last edited by VladR; 07 March 2024 at 19:30.
Old 07 March 2024, 19:54   #24
reassembler

Cannonball, in my opinion, is completely unsuited to the Amiga in terms of performance and the way it was architectured.

Hence my current work towards a genuine 68k based port/conversion.
Old 07 March 2024, 19:55   #25
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Yeah but my envisioned target is OCS/ECS with one meg RAM while the outrun arcade port might run best in a 1200 with fast RAM and a 030;
is a matter of principle (and ego) to show that a decent (of course not arcade perfect) port was feasible
Old 07 March 2024, 20:11   #26
reassembler

That would certainly be a fun project, but not a port. It would be an interpretation of the original. I imagine you could get close to the PC Engine version, but with a reduced colour palette and some further compromises.

Hopefully some of my common code and solutions will prove useful to others when I release those components in the future.
Old 21 March 2024, 16:42   #27
TjLaZer

I just found a NTSC 1 disk version that runs nicely at NTSC 60Hz, and plays better than PAL 50Hz.
Old 21 March 2024, 20:10   #28
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
I just found a NTSC 1 disk version that runs nicely at NTSC 60Hz, and plays better than PAL 50Hz.
Care to share or to make a video of it - or both?
Old 26 March 2024, 18:50   #29
Korban

Quote:
I Think more than resize is the usual plot one /two/three/etc of 16 pixels according to the Z position - that simulate a resize- a crappy one but still
I think that may actually be the case. If a person looks at the way the graphics updates and how the graphics can sort of distort a little (the buildings on 1st course for example) it lends wight to the idea. Additionally if co-ordinates of the graphics are calculated realtime, end especially with greater precision with available time the it would also have the graphics "scale" in a way that appears smoother and moreso further into the distance, which is what is happening.

All hypothetical, and some "if"'s involved, but its a good match.
Old 27 March 2024, 16:17   #30
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
I think that may actually be the case. If a person looks at the way the graphics updates and how the graphics can sort of distort a little (the buildings on 1st course for example) it lends wight to the idea.
IF and WHEN someone decides to grab this and try to tweak it i would suggest to go with pre-scaled graphics

[EDIT]
Since i made the video i did look better, and seem to me that the building and bridges scaling is made by a mix of plotting and several horizontal/vertical segments in the same way as Cisco Heat, that however seems a bit more optimized

Last edited by saimon69; 28 March 2024 at 00:50.
Old 27 March 2024, 16:37   #31
TjLaZer

Quote:
Care to share or to make a video of it - or both?
It's in the Zone. IPF
Old 28 March 2024, 00:47   #32
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Made a video with WinUAE in Amiga 500 speed full ECS and NTSC settings; you can see a speed improvement in several areas while other ones are still messy; however, the abysmal load times (no one-meg load all in RAM feature like in Super Hang-On), the car size, b17chyn355 of other cars and the way turbo works do affect playability negatively

Am honest: look like a rewrite might be the better thing -_-

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 March 2024, 16:29   #33
Megalomaniac

Loading each new 30-second stage in Turbo Outrun takes as long as Lotus 2 does to load each 3-minute stage, so I'd hope there are some scaled sprites in amongst that code being loaded. The game running slower on the Amiga with identical graphics obviously points to a straight ST port, but its not as if the ST version is pushing at that system's potential - ST Lotus 2 in particular would trounce Amiga Turbo Outrun.

Did the original arcade game have rubber-band AI, or is it a flaw unique to the 68000 version?

I take it that the original Amiga code was accelerator-compatible? It's not Kickstart 2 compatible, but the two cracks I've tried both fail to get past the 'insert disk 2' screen (one of them is reduced to one disk, but still has that screen) on a 1.2 68020 config.