English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 February 2019, 16:17   #1
Foebane
Banned

What does "kickstart_rom_file_id=" do in configs?

I used to use the Amiga Forever Cloanto ROMs for emulation in WinUAE, but I recently edited all my configurations to use a set of ROMs from TOSEC instead.

The problem was, I edited all the ROMs in Notepad and not WinUAE, and I've just today noticed this parameter which has changed since I did the alteration. Do I have to save it through WinUAE, or can I just leave it alone? What does it do?
Old 09 February 2019, 16:36   #2
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
What does it do?
Errrrr, as the name suggest, shows the Kickstart ROM ID i.e. the CRC32 and the name / version

All my configs are still v1.0 based... there is no "kickstart_rom_file_id=" line in them and all works fine

So you don't need it... but if you're saying this is matching Cloanto encrypted ROMs but you have normal Commodore ROMs, just delete the complete line.

Last edited by DamienD; 09 February 2019 at 16:42.
Old 09 February 2019, 16:38   #3
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
All my configs are still v1.00 based... there is no "kickstart_rom_file_id=" line in them and all works fine

So you don't need it...
That's a relief. I also suspect I don't need "kickstart_rom_file=" neither. At one time, I moved the path for my ROMs and forgot to set this parameter, and yet the demos and games still ran fine. I guess that as long as the Kickstart path is set in Paths, neither of these parameters are needed?
Old 09 February 2019, 16:44   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I also suspect I don't need "kickstart_rom_file=" neither.
Of course you need this one; how else will the configuration know what KS ROM you want set?

Is WinUAE just supposed to guess? Well, unless Toni has implemented some type of "use a certain KS ROM based on Model / Chipset" if this line is missing...

Last edited by DamienD; 09 February 2019 at 16:50.
Old 09 February 2019, 16:53   #5
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Of course you need this one; how else will the configuration know what KS ROM you want set? Is WinUAE just supposed to guess?
I thought so. Must've been lucky before.