English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 January 2008, 16:49   #21
laffer
Zone Friend

That would be a great video and I might make one like that but the problem is I'm not sure what games to include. If you people here could help me make a list with games like that, I'd see what I could do

However, even though a video like that would be cool, I don't think my video is flawed because it mainly shows early games. The Amiga was much better for games for a period of time and that's what I wanted to show.
Old 25 January 2008, 17:16   #22
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

I agree, you need to make one more video to wrap things up properly. :-)

One that shows how the PC slowly surpassed the Amiga through the final years of Amiga gaming.

I would love to help with titles, but I went straight from the end of the 8-bit era to not owning a computer for years until I bought my first PC in 1999.

I liked your videos very much and I don't think they were particularly biased. Maybe just a little bit!
Old 25 January 2008, 19:42   #23
NLS
Ancient User

I am not sure what point would that be.

That a computer with constant development by many companies surpassed a computer that was not in active development for years? (you can simply post a picture with the text "DUUUUUUUUUUH!!!")
Old 25 January 2008, 20:13   #24
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Who pissed in your mousakka?

The point would be to demonstrate and compare the evolution of games on both platforms, just like in the two first videos.
Old 25 January 2008, 20:33   #25
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

"evolution of games" on the PC?

198X-1993 = ports from other systems and making the games worse, with the occasional pc only gem (wolfenstein for example)
1993-1996 = doom clones, C&C clones
1996-now = quake/half life clones, splinter cell clones, C&C clones
1999-now = MMORPG clone after clone

The pc was never an original platform for games IMHO.
Old 25 January 2008, 21:12   #26
laffer
Zone Friend

I think there are several genres that are awesome on the PC. Strategy games, FPS games, RPG games and one of my fav genre - adventure games
Old 25 January 2008, 21:13   #27
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
"evolution of games" on the PC?
Yes - again, compared to the Amiga, in the same way as in the first two videos.

As in, when there is an Amiga version and a PC version of the same game.

In the 3D games "race", it was obvious that the Amiga couldn't keep up anymore when the first Quake game came out - in terms of the technology and raw power used to realize the 3D world.

Before that everything was done with rotating sprites and in semi-3D (also sometimes called 2.5D, like you see in Duke Nukem 3D and Doom). The Amiga could do this too, but very soon the PC could do it faster and move more stuff around.
Old 17 June 2008, 00:56   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
I think there are several genres that are awesome on the PC. Strategy games, FPS games, RPG games and one of my fav genre - adventure games
There are three things that made it impossible for the Amiga to compete on never games (>1993) : speech in games (mainly adventures and RPGs), FMV (only used well in some games though ) and 3D acceleration (yeah I know it was available later on ). But all the classics (<1992) are better on the Amiga.
Old 17 June 2008, 01:58   #29
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
There are three things that made it impossible for the Amiga to compete on never games (>1993) : speech in games (mainly adventures and RPGs), FMV (only used well in some games though ) and 3D acceleration (yeah I know it was available later on ). But all the classics (<1992) are better on the Amiga.
The cd32 can compete for speech in games and FMV (with fmv card) but for 3d acceleration