English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 15 March 2019, 13:23   #1
AmigaLee

Workbench 1.3 path and icon default tool question

Hi folks,

Specifically for Workbench 1.3 can someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

I have two hard disks, the boot volume with vanilla WorkBench 1.3 and a second for general storage, plus a directory called WB1.3 with sub directories containing a C folder where I'd like to keep any third party commands I've acquired over the years.

I've added this directory to my paths and can confirm I can access them via the shell by just using the command name without the pathname.

The issue is, if I copy a file from a floppy disk and that program happens to have an info file with "default tool" set to something, it often references it like "c:ppmore". Since I don't have ppmore on my boot volume in C, but I do have it in "SecondHDD:/WB1.3/C", I'd like the "default tool" to just be set to "ppmore" and have the system use the PATH environment variable to find ppmore that way.

Am I correct to say "Default Tool" needs to have a literal path and unable to use the environment variable, or am I using it wrong?

Also, is it possible for Workbench 1.3 to assign C: to two paths? e.g:

ASSIGN C: DH0:C DH1:C

Seems odd that you can add multiple directories to a PATH variable, but the system will only look in C: for "Default Tool"

Should I just give up and not bother trying to be a neat freak and combine the folders on the hard disks? :spin
Old 15 March 2019, 13:40   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

On OS 2.x and higher you can do it with the Assign command:

Assign add c: dh1:c

On OS 1.3 this command doesn't work, I don't know if for this system you had an Assign version or any other method to do it.

However, you could solve it by copying ppmore in dh0:c as well

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 15 March 2019 at 17:27.
Old 15 March 2019, 15:51   #3
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaLee View Post
Am I correct to say "Default Tool" needs to have a literal path and unable to use the environment variable, or am I using it wrong?
With OS 3.1 you can use absolute or relative path for default tool. If absolute path is given it will only search in that path. If relative path is given it will search in all directories that in the search path. I don't know if OS 1.3 works different to this, but you can just try it and you will see. Use SnoopDOS for verification.
https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaO...Reference#PATH
Old 15 March 2019, 17:10   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

@daxb
Yes, thank you for reminding me, it also works on 1.3

@AmigaLee
Add in the startup sequence before LoadWB this command:

Path dh1:c add