English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 17 September 2013, 23:41   #141
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
It's a conspiracy, I tells ya! EAB infused the app into your system while you weren't watching...
I didn't know that NSA was also now infiltrating small sites like EAB?

I am now suspecting the program that I downloaded from Sourceforge. During the installation it did ask whether I wanted to install a toolbar, which I unchecked, but it might still have installed some other stuff..
Old 17 September 2013, 23:43   #142
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I am now suspecting the program that I downloaded from Sourceforge. During the installation it did ask whether I wanted to install a toolbar, which I unchecked, but it might still have installed some other stuff..
Yep, some apps really seem to be okay, but bring along some unwanted friends Good to hear it wasn't hard to remove though
Old 18 September 2013, 00:54   #143
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Today some non-ads appeared on this site for me even when logged in and they are quite annoying.
They are non-ads in the way that it is a horizontal bar with only the text 'Ads not by this site' in it after every three posts. I have an Adblocker running so it might be replacing an ad with that text. What happened since they are now appearing? I despise ads which is why I donated money instead of having them shown.

Edit: Just tried disabling the adblocker and now I get ads for saving forests, food disasters, tornado relief etc..
Now way I display ads for members who don't want them !

Quote:
I found out that it was actually caused by a browser addon in Firefox called A2ZLyrics, which I most definitely did not install. After removing it, the ads have disappeared again. Now the question is how it got into my browser (and my program files folder as well actually). The only software I've installed lately came from sourceforge and they're generally quite reputable in my mind..
Yep, browser or OS adware is the most usual reason.
Post a screenshot next time
Old 09 October 2013, 03:57   #144
Ze Emulatron

Turned on the ads, added eab.abime.net to whitelist on adblock plus on Firefox, shows the ads fine, added eab.abime.net to whitelist on adblock plus in Opera 12.16, ads aren't loading. I guess it is opera adblock problem.
Old 16 October 2013, 23:52   #145
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
What does that donate percentage mean? Currently 22/44%?
Old 17 October 2013, 10:50   #146
RCK
Administrator

If you put your mouse on the link, you will see it's a % of the maximum monthly donation ever made.
There is no link with hosting cost, it's just one indicator to see if people give the same amount of money each month.

Last edited by RCK; 17 October 2013 at 12:57.
Old 17 October 2013, 11:00   #147
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Do you mind telling us what percentage is really required for you so that you are not having to put up a lot of your own money each month (taking whatever you get from the Google ads into account)? ie. Is the current 46% pretty good for you or still way short? (I am hoping September was a bumper month for you for all those years of running abime.net!)
Old 17 October 2013, 11:24   #148
Photon

Plonk
Old 17 October 2013, 11:37   #149
RCK
Administrator

September was the starting bumper month, and it cover ~1,5 months of hosting.
So with the ~50% in october we are good, and don't worry, I can also pay with my money!

I added this indicator to let me know how the donation were performing in the long run,
but in fact it's more confusing than usefull, I will remove it.

Last edited by RCK; 17 October 2013 at 13:00.
Old 17 October 2013, 11:54   #150
demolition
Unregistered User

A percentage that would make sense would be the percentage of the monthly cost. Then people would know that reaching 100% would mean that all costs are covered that month.

Does the Donate button have to be orange? When I see it in the corner of my eye, I always think that there is a PM until I look up and see that there isn't..

Also, RCK, do you donate money to yourself as the ribbon states?
Old 17 October 2013, 12:26   #151
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
A percentage that would make sense would be the percentage of the monthly cost. Then people would know that reaching 100% would mean that all costs are covered that month.
Yes I'm agree, but I can't do that because I don't know how much advertisement will give us at the end of month. Moreover, I don't want members feel they have to pay to keep abime.net online. It's not a problem if donation drop because people can't make donation each month, I can afford the hosting

Quote:
Does the Donate button have to be orange? When I see it in the corner of my eye, I always think that there is a PM until I look up and see that there isn't..
I don't think people will see donate link if it's white, but let's paint it and see how it works

Quote:
gné ? what ribbon ?

Last edited by RCK; 17 October 2013 at 13:09.
Old 17 October 2013, 12:33   #152
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:

1) I agree it would be good to see if the team are making the monthly target to guilt trip us in to dipping into our pockets (or games collection)

2) Would you like me to send you a PM, mate?

3) If the medals were scaled to the amount someone has donated to the EAB, I'll bet RCK's would be the size of a house!!
Old 17 October 2013, 13:05   #153
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
gné ? what ribbon ?
The ribbon under your name, indicating that you have donated in the last 30 days.

And regarding the color of the Donate button, I can always change it myself using a GreaseMonkey script or similar.
Old 17 October 2013, 13:08   #154
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
The ribbon under your name, indicating that you have donated in the last 30 days.
Haha, no I don't donate money to myself but I pay all the hosting cost and all hardware upgrade directly
Anyway, I have removed my ribbon as I don't care about it, and yes, it's true that I'm not in the donator listing
Old 17 October 2013, 13:11   #155
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Haha, no I don't donate money to myself but I pay all the hosting cost and all hardware upgrade directly
Anyway, I have removed my ribbon as I don't care about it, and yes, it's true that I'm not in the donator listing
You could always just make your own color ribbon, shared only by people who donate >1000 EUR.
Old 17 October 2013, 13:40   #156
DH
Global Moderator

From another thread some time back regarding the 'Donate' colour:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
....Cyan is probably the next best choice, but for it to be really noticeable, it's going to have to be green or cyan Example below:-

This is just an example, it's just showing the different colours and what they'll look like, so disregard the links. Not expecting it to be implemented, but maybe you would like to trial it RCK to see what the masses think?
Old 17 October 2013, 14:25   #157
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
gné ?
Post reported. No politics please.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 October 2013, 18:40   #158
Photon

Isn't it green/orange/red as for traffic lights? Well that's how I thought about it going from green to orange anyway.
Old 17 October 2013, 20:17   #159
djukon

Exclamation Not just the adblocker

I just wanted to let you know that to get the banners, besides disabling the AdBlock Plus for the page, I also required allowing tracking for some analytic and ad sites in the Ghostery extension, as well as allowing some scripts in NoScript.
Old 17 October 2013, 21:57   #160
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djukon View Post
I just wanted to let you know that to get the banners, besides disabling the AdBlock Plus for the page, I also required allowing tracking for some analytic and ad sites in the Ghostery extension, as well as allowing some scripts in NoScript.
I didn't know, thanks for sharing the info

Last edited by RCK; 18 October 2013 at 18:23.