English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 13 June 2017, 01:40   #1
boratintheuk

Question Gotek Issues on A500

I recently picked up a Gotek drive for my Amiga 500 and I haven't been able to get it to work.

I didn't have the serial cable to flash the drive so instead I used this guide to flash it using a USB lead instead.

[ Show youtube player ]

Now with this method you can only flash it with the Cortex firmware as the HxC firmware won't work with it. Now from the information I got from the STMicroelectronics software gave me a thumbs up when I flashed the drive. However, I haven't been able to get very far on the Amiga end.

The screen parks on the insert media hand. Would that even come up if the firmware wasn't present? When I plug the USB stick in the green LED lights up and the activity light on the stick flashes. But it still sits at the insert media screen:

Any ideas? I've tried using two different sticks and I get the same result.

Old 13 June 2017, 09:38   #2
Jope
-

Select jumper on the gotek set to S0? SELECTOR.ADF copied as the first file onto a freshly fat32 formatted stick?
Old 13 June 2017, 15:33   #3
boratintheuk

Yeah, the jumper is set correctly, I even played with other settings. I've formatted the stick several times to no avail. Is a 16 gig stick too large? Should my kickstart or board rev matter?

Old 13 June 2017, 15:56   #4
Sinphaltimus

And the selector.adf is copied to the usb drive?
Old 13 June 2017, 17:39   #5
Amiga1992

The green light is on all the time, it seems to me? Check if you have plugged in the data connector the wrong way.
Old 14 June 2017, 05:18   #6
boratintheuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The green light is on all the time, it seems to me? Check if you have plugged in the data connector the wrong way.
This was the problem, boy do I feel like a fool. I've done the same thing with the floppy drive but it gave me a blinking power light error, I just assumed that would happen with the Gotek too. Thanks everyone.

Old 14 June 2017, 14:46   #7
Amiga1992

It's an easy to fix mistake! happened to all of us at least once
At least you didn't plug the power the wrong way like I did (this will kill the USB stick).
Old 04 August 2020, 08:12   #8
Soufis

Angry

Unfortunately I plugged the power cable reversed because it was the only way for the plug of the external floppy power cable, to fit to gotek’s power socket. The gotek worked fine for around a day and i thought that everything is fine. Then , suddently no green led, no booting. To my panic, i pressed in the rotary button for 2-3 seconds and i found out later that i deleted everything from the usb stick . The usb stick doesn’t even appear to my pc when plugged. I can still hear the “tik” sound of gotek. The display says “ flashfloppy v.2.14” but doesn’t respond when turning the rotary button or pressing the little keys.. Did i damage the gotek?
I already have changed the position of cables of the power cable but i think it’s too late. I tried also a new usb stick , after installing the files..same situation with gotek . Plugging then, this usb on my pc, i see nothing again and gets really hot.I would appreciate so much any kind of help....
Thank you all

Last edited by Soufis; 04 August 2020 at 11:06.
Old 04 August 2020, 12:38   #9
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Sadly it's very likely you have killed the original USB stick and at least part of your gotek with the power supply the wrong way - effectively giving 12v to 5v parts
Old 04 August 2020, 22:06   #10
Soufis

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Sadly it's very likely you have killed the original USB stick and at least part of your gotek with the power supply the wrong way - effectively giving 12v to 5v parts
Thank you for your reply. I didn’t know that the reversed power cable could give 12v instead of 5v. At least i managed to play “ defender of the crown “ lol

I don’t think it worths to take the gotek to a technician for repair. Unfortunately i may buy another one

Waiting a reply also from Amigastore...but really hopeless case.