English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 11 April 2013, 19:30   #21
JohnFante

I used directory opus to copy.

Did not work :-(
Old 26 March 2019, 01:07   #22
MartinW

Sorry to necro an old thread but I have the same issue as the OP. Before I chase my tail could someone upload the known good version from earlier in this thread to the zone again please? At least I know if it is my end or not.

Thanks.
Old 27 March 2019, 01:46   #23
MartinW

Ugh, sorry - looks like I've replied to the wrong thread! I'm dumb

But anyway, still having problems with Nexus 7. In the thread I meant to reply to the problem is that the demo gets as far as the spinning disco ball, then the music carries on but always with the disco ball (enough with the disco ball already!).

In the thread I'm thinking of, the person with this problem has an ACA1233 card and so do I (a 1233 030@40Mhz).

I just created a boot floppy with "NEXUS7.EXE" on it but it made no difference. Realising that I'm no longer running the OS and therefore don't need to maprom the 3.1.4 ROMs into play, on a whim I swapped the ACA1233 for an original 4MB/FPU/RTC card (forget the make and model) and what?? At 68020 booting from floppy it runs perfectly all the way to the end.

Umm??….

Now I'm not sure if this demo is problematic on the ACA1233, if my hardware is dodgy or what? Can anyone advise?

Last edited by MartinW; 27 March 2019 at 12:06.
Old 29 March 2019, 21:58   #24
acidbottle

having problems with whdload based demos and games to, perhaps my experience can help eliminate some issues.

setup is a 3.1.4 (best wb 1.1) a1200 with 030 typhoon mk II and 16mb fast.

nexus 7 is one the demos that actually works for me, i unpacked the archive right to cf card on winuae on the pc. the winuae config is exactly the same as my own bar using the fpu, my 030 doesnt have one annoyingly!

i can up the archive i have to the zone over the weekend for you, will let you know.

sadly tho, all blacklotus demos, eg goa and glow do not work. games such us roadkill also crash with guru. they do work perfectly fine through winuae though. hmm ...
Old 30 March 2019, 00:52   #25
MartinW

which archive did you use? As in, where did you get it from? From memory I think I went to Amiga Demo Scene and clicked on 'File' from the demos entry page, then clicked on automatic. I then unpacked on my A1000 (which has internet so I can connect it to my internal file server) and finally copied to floppy to get it onto my A1200. All sounds very arduous but it's actually pretty slick. The A1200 also has a WHDLOAD version that came from some big archive or other. They both behave exactly the same.

Now saying that, I'm not convinced there's anything up with the files themselves, although at this point I would be happy to try anything for a chance of working out what is wrong.

If I use my old-school 68020 card the demo works flawlessly. I'm tempted to just use this card but it's a shame to use a 68020 @ 14Mhz and 8MB of Ram when I have a 68030 @ 40Mhz and 128MB ram!

I think it's something related to VBLANK but I don't as yet know what. During the spinning disco ball section there is slow down that is not present with the 020 card and also screen tearing like the demo is trying to use VSYNC (VBlank?) and not getting it if that makes sense. This is always a tell-tell sign that the demo is failing and will not progress to the next section.

Maybe I should try to find the proper bug reporting section for the slave (for WHDLOAD version at least!) and also check to see if there is an updated version of the slave.
Old 06 April 2019, 13:33   #26
acidbottle

Sorry to say i do not have 50 posts yet, bit of a lurker/slacker, therefore unable to up my archive to ftp .. yet! Never said which weekend to be fair

What I can say is the demo was pre-installed on my cf card when i purchased the 3.1.4 roms from amigastore.eu. This doesnt help matters, I appreciate. All the demos on the card actaully worked (there was about 20), a mixture of aga and non aga demos. About half i nabbed off a whdload demo archive do not work though.

Hope you figure it out though, will do some tinkering here to see what the issue is also.
Old 06 April 2019, 14:12   #27
MartinW

No worries, this stuff is hobby afterall

I'm in limbo a bit. I'm using my Expansion card with just FPU and 8MB ram instead of the 68030 and that seems to be a lot more compatible and the system seems to be more stable. A breath of fresh air.

So the obvious next step was "is there a card that adds 128MB of memory and FPU without adding a CPU"? But then we are into MistEr FPGA territory which is 68020 at (from screenshots I've seen) around 80Mhz. But no FPU.

Since I have a mister on it's way for my birthday in a few weeks I'm waiting to see how that is. I have other home computers that I never use because I don't have the space to have it all set up so I am seriously toying with the idea of going FPGA and mothballing the A1200's entirely if I'm happy with the FPGA.
Old 10 May 2019, 13:46   #28
MartinW

@Galahad - where is the correct place (URL) for reporting issues?

I upgraded WHDLoad from 18.2 to 18.5 last night and Nexus 7 now crashes. Note that this was on a MiSTer so it could well be the hardware. I haven't verified against my real Amigas yet, or emulation.

For now I have just gone back down to 18.2 but I'd like to report issues a little more rather than just accepting things not working and people may be none the wiser.
Old 02 June 2019, 10:42   #29
Hewitson

WHDLoad Bugtracker: http://mantis.whdload.de/main_page.php