English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 04 March 2009, 04:13   #1
tenfour

how to use hardfiles; i'm lost

I have no idea how to get HDF files working; I think i'm missing some critical piece of this puzzle. I can't get a hardfile to show up in workbench, and I feel like this should be so easy.

Is there some tutorial for this that I missed?

I am currently using a Windows directory for all my winuae drives. But I would like to use HDF for better Amiga compatibility.

So in WinUAE 1.5.3, I go to "Add Hardfile" where I can create a fresh hardfile. I choose 200mb. I have no idea what to select for "OFS/FFS/RDB" etc, and I don't know what a sparse file is, so I left them default.

I also don't know what RDB mode is so I did not enable it. I left everything default.

At this point, I would expect to be able to boot into wb3.1 and format it. It does not show up, however.

I launched hdtoolbox with the uaehf.device arg, and it shows a SCSI harddrive but doesn't let me do anything with it. Address:0, LUN:0, Status:Unknown.

Is it really so complex to use a HDF instead of a windows directory? I have tinkered with this randomly trying stuff but basically I am totally lost and I don't want to waste too much time on this.

Any help is appreciated

Old 04 March 2009, 06:37   #2
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Hi tenfour! Welcome to EAB.... over here there is usually someone who can help out..

If you:
- click on the Amiga FAQ at the top of the forum
- click on How do I install workbench
- click on installation of workbench 3.1
- click on Chapter 1 - Setting up and Configuring WinUAE

It will take you to the following page:
http://guide.abime.net/wb3.1/chap1.htm

Then you follow steps 10-14 which should help you setup your hardfile within WinUAE. Maybe you did not set the Volume (e.g. System) or the drive name (e.g. DH0: )

There are also a whole lot of other guides there within those links that you can browse to become more familiar with how to do things.
Old 04 March 2009, 08:36   #3
clenched

Suggest make a new HDF and and reboot with Install floppy. Forget HDtoolbox and simply format DH0:NDOS using WorkBench menu. You did say HDF doesn't appear but was that after running HDToolbox? Since it reported a drive instead of blank that leads me to believe that you made it correctly.
Old 04 March 2009, 12:37   #4
tenfour

I tried again this morning and got it working. I am not sure what I changed; maybe I was just too tired last night =)

Thank you for your help!