English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 August 2015, 22:02   #21
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
The next moto x will have a snapdragon 808, so 2ghz is a possibility.
Ye, but I guess he meant 2 cores @ 1.7GHz, but 3.4 in once core probably isnt a good trade-off speed (vs battery life) right now even if you could push a CPU to those levels. Maybe when we go below 10nm in a while.. Samsung is at 14nm atm and they arent clocking a lot beyond 2GHz..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Neither, I hate "smartphones" with a passion.
Explain?
What exactly is annoying you?

Last edited by TCD; 24 August 2015 at 22:14. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 24 August 2015, 22:05   #22
Nobby_UK

I have an Android Phone + Tablet
but I never bought them...

iOS devices are fine but expensive.
Old 24 August 2015, 22:22   #23
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Explain?
What exactly is annoying you?
Touch screens for starters, plus pretty much everywhere you go these days, people are more concerned to check their phones instead of actually seeing where they're going.

Me, I'm still using a W810i, it works remarkably well for ringing and text messages, and it runs 10 days on a fully charged battery.
And best of all, no FaceTube "apps" (hate that word too), never ending software updates or the likes of that.
Old 25 August 2015, 02:57   #24
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

iOS for me.

I tried Android phones and tablets and the user experience is definitely not up to par with iOS (this will come eventually but this is clearly not Google's priority alas).
Also, I want a simple system which upgrades automatically without having to tinker it and/or rely on carriers good faith and on Android this is just not possible: either you have to invest time or you just have no system upgrades because your vendor/carrier does not allow it.

As far as I am concerned, Apple provides the systems with the closest feel to what the Amiga provided at the time. It took them time to get there but if there was an AmigaMobileOS it would behave very much like iOS in my opinion.
Old 25 August 2015, 03:03   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I was wondering, is there a pattern to bee seen?
I myself use Android phones (although I do have an iPad lying around too) but I never liked the limitations of iOS and maybe I wanted to support the underdog that Android was when it was released. Or maybe it was Steve Jobs "reality distortion field" that made me dodge shiny Apple-toys...
Anyhoo.. what do you say, is there a connection between Amiga users in the 90s and the choice of OS in your smartphone today?
Android for me, shouldnt have to hack a machine just to make it do what i want, and im not going to have any company tell me what music or video format i have to use either.
Old 25 August 2015, 03:10   #26
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Touch screens for starters,
In 2008 I was like you. I doubted it would be practical, but once you realize that a quick learning period is followed by much faster user experience you do not want to go back. It is just a matter of learning different and ultimately more practical habits, and it's really fast if you are flexible minded.

Quote:
plus pretty much everywhere you go these days, people are more concerned to check their phones instead of actually seeing where they're going.
People have been doing stupid things with all kind of products since the dawn of mankind and that is not going to stop anytime soon. I would certainly not base any of my purchasing decisions on others's stupidity.

What matters is which additional capabilities the product brings to you and how it makes your life simpler. If it does not, then that is fine, but why care about others?
Old 25 August 2015, 04:23   #27
beezle
Banned

For phones I couldn't care less. If I can make and receive calls and text msgs and use it for mp3s (portable music player more specifically) I'm happy.

That wasn't the question though.

Couldn't disagree more with whoever suggested iOS is the most Amiga like.
Amiga was always nice and open, good value, non disposable, encouraged experimenting and so on.
Completely and utterly the opposite of what apple has built their empire on.
Old 25 August 2015, 10:25   #28
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle View Post
For phones I couldn't care less. If I can make and receive calls and text msgs and use it for mp3s (portable music player more specifically) I'm happy.

That wasn't the question though.

Amiga was always nice and open, good value, non disposable, encouraged experimenting and so on.
Not to mention it took Apple quite a few years before iOS would actually multi task.. not very Amiga-esque...
Old 25 August 2015, 11:24   #29
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
What year are you from, timeraveller?
In the year 2015 we still don't have 3.4GHz in any mobile phone ;-)
Apparently the Snapdragon 820 should do 3GHz on a single core. Should come out early next year
Old 25 August 2015, 11:28   #30
Retro1234
Phone Homer

3ghz wow - sorry dudes its a phone and its hype to get you to part with your cash.
Old 25 August 2015, 11:37   #31
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
3ghz wow - sorry dudes its a phone and its hype to get you to part with your cash.
I don't care much about frequency speeds, but they've done nice stuff like adding a DSP, wider memory interface, 64-bit support (that was already present in the 810, truth to be told - but the 810 gets so hot that you can fry eggs on it) and more

I've advised my friends to get all kinds of phones, starting from £100 upwards - and some are now complaining about slowdowns. I've spent £250 on mine two years ago and it's still rocking strong.

If you use a smartphone daily for work and free time, then investing a good sum on it is a must. £700 for an iPhone is kinda crazy seeing what you can get with less than half of that sum, but you really don't want to be unable to use Google Maps while lost somewhere because your £80 "smartphone" is just unbearably slow, do you?
Old 25 August 2015, 11:59   #32
clebin

Quote:
Not to mention it took Apple quite a few years before iOS would actually multi task.. not very Amiga-esque...
True, although it wasn't for any technical reason, but disabled by design to stop programs eating up battery life. It was probably a sensible move although they got some stick for it.
Old 25 August 2015, 12:16   #33
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
What year are you from, timeraveller?
In the year 2015 we still don't have 3.4GHz in any mobile phone ;-)
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company made a 3.0 Ghz smartphone cpu....

For what? I have no idea.

EDIT: found the article(in german) it was an ARM Cortex-A9 Dual Core-Processor @ 3.1 GHz.

EDIT2: The article was written on 04.05.2012
Old 25 August 2015, 12:45   #34
DisposableHero

Yea, I meant two 1.7Ghz cores. My first smartphone was weaker on calls and texts than my previous Nokia 3210, but the current one is better. Mind you, I have a friend whose Nokia gives a better signal than her son's iPhone on the same network, so maybe technology isn't the be-all and end-all.
Old 25 August 2015, 12:59   #35
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
If you use a smartphone daily for work and free time, then investing a good sum on it is a must. £700 for an iPhone is kinda crazy seeing what you can get with less than half of that sum, but you really don't want to be unable to use Google Maps while lost somewhere because your £80 "smartphone" is just unbearably slow, do you?
This is how I feel. I use my phone enough to justify paying for the one I really want, which happens to be an iPhone. I have owned Android devices in the past so I have some experience of both.

£500-700 seems crazy, but I usually have mine for 3 years and then my usually wife inherits it while it's still a good phone. Most of the people I know with Android phones seem to replace them in half that time and put them in a drawer. That's what I've noticed, at least.

Then there's the question of who I want to give my money to. I don't like Apple's lock-in but I feel it's the lesser of two evils when it comes to Google's, well, being Google. I'm not stupid enough to trust any multinational corporation, but I REALLY don't trust Google.
Old 25 August 2015, 13:49   #36
duga

Quote:
Too bad the multitasking is broken since iOS 7.
Old 25 August 2015, 13:50   #37
duga

iOS since 2009. Slowly migrating to Windows Phone 8.1 (soon WP 10) by with Lumia 820 and Lumia 640.
Old 25 August 2015, 14:20   #38
beezle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
£500-700 seems crazy, but I usually have mine for 3 years and then my usually wife inherits it while it's still a good phone. Most of the people I know with Android phones seem to replace them in half that time and put them in a drawer. That's what I've noticed, at least.

Then there's the question of who I want to give my money to. I don't like Apple's lock-in but I feel it's the lesser of two evils when it comes to Google's, well, being Google. I'm not stupid enough to trust any multinational corporation, but I REALLY don't trust Google.
Much easier to justify replacing a phone that cost %10 or less though.
My android phone cost me $49 three years ago and is still kicking along fine.
About 12 months ago I also bought an android quad core bay trail tablet for $189, and it gives performance pretty well on par, often greater than any iOS device.

That's much easier to swallow than 5-700 pounds, and infinitely more flexible given I can also run iOS, windows, Mac os, Linux, AROS, etc, etc software. (VMs and other software).

As for not trusting Google, fair enough, but why would a person sign in anyway? I never do.

In regards to google maps on a slow device being a problem, that's only a concern if you're a mute
Have people really become so disconnected that they've forgotten how to ask people for directions? Often quicker than google maps regardless of the device a person uses. Nav Sat is more practical a digital method as well.

All in my opinion of course.

Last edited by beezle; 25 August 2015 at 14:28.
Old 25 August 2015, 14:45   #39
Daedalus

Still using my Nokia N9 here with Meego / Maemo, and I'll use that for as long as I can! It's a joy to use compared to iOS and Android, but sadly the lack of support means it's slowly losing chunks of functionality that helped to make the experience so great in the first place. There's always Sailfish, but it doesn't have the Nokia aspects I liked: the design values, offline maps integration, complete Skype integration... I guess when it's time to replace it, I'll either go Sailfish or some Android handset with a generic Android build on it.
Old 25 August 2015, 15:08   #40
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle View Post
I did precise it was in terms of "feel" right? It thought that was clear enough in my sentence. User interface, good use of technology to enhance the user experience (UX).

As for the rest, I mostly agree and wished there was no developer fee and the system would be more open but disposable I can't agree with. Samsung's phones are disposable, they produce new models every month as if there was no tomorrow, Apple phones with one model per year and a lasting second hand value are everything but disposable.
I keep my iPhones for three years and they re-sell without a problem, hardly disposable if you ask me.