English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 December 2004, 21:33   #1
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Finding unreleased AMIGA GAMES

Howdy m8s!!!

I ask myself why some unreleased AMIGA games can`t be found?
I think there are hundreds of titles that are buried on old dusty HDDs.

On the C64 there is an organisation called GTW.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/frank.gasking/
GREETINXX TO FRANK GASKIN

Why is there nothing like that for the AMIGA?
Old 08 December 2004, 21:52   #2
Tim Janssen

Well, a AGTW initiative has been started here but I do not know what the current status is.
Old 08 December 2004, 21:57   #3
Peanutuk

This thread in particular.
Old 09 December 2004, 02:07   #4
Bobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmatron
I ask myself why some unreleased AMIGA games can`t be found?
Ask Galahad, why such games are still not available. I've sent such an unreleased game to him more than a year ago. He wanted to crack it. The last time I heard something from him was back in July 2004 where he told me to be patient in an unfriendly way!!! I think the disk (which is the LAST EXISTING copy!) is lost forever!
Old 09 December 2004, 05:22   #5
IFW

There is no need to crack anything, unless for the fun of it.
Why someone did not cyclone the last ever disk of something, when it is easily lost in the stupid post is beyond me.
Galahad has his personal life and career to take care of and did not have the time then. This is his hobby, not his job, please be patient.
I am sure he can add a few lines if he wishes to do so.
Old 09 December 2004, 20:52   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Lightbulb Ping Galahad...

Unfortunately IFW it wasn't that easy.

The programmer told Bobic that the game had some special copy protection routine that would destroy the disk if it was copied. Rather than risk wrecking the game, he thought he would send it to a reliable cracker. Unfortunately the game was sent off to Galahad before checking with some of the other more knowledgeable guys (about whether that copy protection was possible) so unless he returns here and uploads a warp/uses the CAPS tool, the game (like Raiden before it) may well be lost forever...

Also the game may have some manual protection in it aswell, and often these old games won't work on real Amigas so you still need to crack it/WHDLoad install it unless you want to limit it to emulator use.

Last edited by Codetapper; 09 December 2004 at 21:01.
Old 10 December 2004, 09:27   #7
IFW

Well... people should know better than to believe that a write protected disk can destroy itself or can be deleted without a modified disk drive
Probably the guy meant if the game detects it's a copy [read: if it does, which requires a fairly good protection usually not possible without professional mastering equipment] it tries to format the disk kill its bootblock or some crap like that. Regardless you find that routine and remove it, so who cares...
I don't even dare to think what if the guy honestly thought about some mystical way of detecting a disk being read and then destorying it write protected... perhaps that game is just fine being lost forever, sounds like a 6 years old creating his first "hello world" application and inventing his dream what else that program would do someday when he grows up
j/k, hopefully his words were just misunderstood a bit...
Anyway you can contact Galahad, if he received the disk it's surely not lost forever.

Regardless imaging the disk with whdl or caps tools would have been the right choice not sending the only copy over the post.
Old 10 December 2004, 12:09   #8
Codetapper

Post What's done is done

Galahad received the disks so hopefully he'll be back on here to sort this mess out...

I really hate the thought of Amiga games being lost forever!
Old 17 December 2004, 05:22   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Thanks Istvan for the sole vote of confidence.

Firstly, the disks are not lost or destroyed or anything. I have them, they are fine, the game will be released, but I have to redo the crack as I have moved house twice since I had them, and I lost my crack master disks.

Secondly, the copy protection on the game is absolute crap! I had the game fully cracked in less than 2 hours, start to finish. As in Robocop 3, people shouldn't be so quick to brag about their coding 'skills'. The fact is, only a competant cracker could come up with a protection system that would seriously challenge another cracker, and seeing as Gaston/Fairlight tried it with Deepcore and that got cracked quickly, I would suggest that no-one out there is ready to say their protection system is 'great'.

Damonenburg is safe, it is not lost, but as Istvan has already pointed out, I have a life that sadly doesn't revolve around the Amiga 24/7.

I've been doing this for over 15 years now, I think I've earnt a little break every now and then.

If people don't like that.... tough shit. Have a bit of faith, have a bit of trust... you'll feel better.
Old 17 December 2004, 07:54   #10
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT

If people don't like that.... tough shit. Have a bit of faith, have a bit of trust... you'll feel better.
haha true, Its not 93 anymore and I guess you don't have to worry about competition to rush out the crack to get it on to Mirage first =]
Old 17 December 2004, 09:33   #11
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade
haha true, Its not 93 anymore and I guess you don't have to worry about competition to rush out the crack to get it on to Mirage first =]
Do you imagine that Quartex release it first ??

btw, codetapper, what you say about Raiden?? it was released but we lost it forever??
Old 17 December 2004, 11:51   #12
Codetapper

JudasEZT: Ask Galahad, he had the full game not me! Like Seargeant Schultz, "I know nothing - nothing!"
Old 17 December 2004, 18:58   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Question

Quote:
Damonenburg is safe, it is not lost, but as Istvan has already pointed out, I have a life that sadly doesn't revolve around the Amiga 24/7.
Shock and horror!! How dare you!

But for real ... I wish some people here *had* a life like you have now!
If someone has a wife and maybe children, I'd even congratulate them rather than being mad about them not showing up here anymore!

I too am eagerly waiting for Liquid Kids to get 100% finished (since January), but I'm not going to pester you about it. Enjoy your private life - you only have ONE.
Old 18 December 2004, 18:59   #14
Bobic

This whole mess could have been cleared up if Galahad didn't ignore everyones PM's and emails.
Old 18 December 2004, 19:01   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

You assume I've been around to answer them... I haven't, hence why there was little point in replying to emails over 3months old!
Old 19 December 2004, 03:55   #16
Acidman

Quote:
As in Robocop 3, people shouldn't be so quick to brag about their coding 'skills'.
Didn't FFC screw up that crack? FFC seemed to rush out his crack a little to fast. Too bad, since I get the impression he was a good cracker, and also did a few releases on PC.
Quote:
The fact is, only a competant cracker could come up with a protection system that would seriously challenge another cracker, and seeing as Gaston/Fairlight tried it with Deepcore and that got cracked quickly, I would suggest that no-one out there is ready to say their protection system is 'great'.
I thought it was Ringo Starr who coded that game. I later did a little research, and found out that Classic did crack the game. "what a surprise", I thought.

But, if Gaston coded the game, and Classic released it, who cracked it? As far as I know, Ringo wasn't active during that time? My guess is Mok or NOMAD?

CLASSiC - The Sign of Quality

Old 19 December 2004, 20:04   #17
Bobic

Galahad: Finally please can you tell me when you will actually send all disks back to me (Silicon Dreams, Orbs Magic, Human Race and the unreleased game Dämonenburg)? You have them for nearly 1,5 years now. I would like them sent back ASAP, I will find somebody else to crack them and/or send images to CAPS.

Last edited by Bobic; 19 December 2004 at 20:14.
Old 20 December 2004, 20:40   #18
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidman
Didn't FFC screw up that crack? FFC seemed to rush out his crack a little to fast. Too bad, since I get the impression he was a good cracker, and also did a few releases on PC.
I thought it was Ringo Starr who coded that game. I later did a little research, and found out that Classic did crack the game. "what a surprise", I thought.

But, if Gaston coded the game, and Classic released it, who cracked it? As far as I know, Ringo wasn't active during that time? My guess is Mok or NOMAD?

CLASSiC - The Sign of Quality
Gaston wrote the protection, he didn't code the game.
Old 21 December 2004, 02:27   #19
Acidman

Quote:
Gaston wrote the protection, he didn't code the game.
Oh, ok. I seem to get different information now.

Anyway, this little project of doing protection didn't seem to continue very long, as he later teamed up with Hoson / Hybrid (PC). There he would once again make a name for himself.

Maybe he is doing nasty protections on PC these days?