English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 September 2017, 23:05   #1
arkpandora

Question Floppy drive power connector (on Amigastore's External Floppy Disk Drive Adapter)

Hi!

I have just bought from Amigastore.eu a cased HxC Floppy Emulator, and this adapter to connect the HxC to my A2000's external floppy drive port.

As I don't want to fry the HxC by feeding it with 12V instead of 5V, I would like to make sure that I connect this adapter's power connector in the right way to the HxC. Can you confirm that it is the red wire that should convey the 5V signal?

Thank you for any help!
Old 17 September 2017, 23:13   #2
Daedalus

Those 4-pin connectors should only be able to fit one way around. Red is usually +5V on PSUs, but that's not a guarantee that it is in every case (A600/A1200 cables that I have here use red for +12V for example). Having said that, it looks from the photo that the red is indeed +5V. The +5V line is closest to the ridge on the top of the connector, if that makes sense.
Old 17 September 2017, 23:29   #3
arkpandora

Thank you very much for your help!

That makes sense, and is what I expected.

From looking at the HxC's male connector it was not clear that the adapter's connector should only be able to fit one way around, but I should have tried it before asking.

Last edited by arkpandora; 18 September 2017 at 23:04.
Old 18 September 2017, 15:53   #4
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkpandora View Post
From looking to the HxC's male connector it was not clear that the adapter's connector should only be able to fit one way around
The Gotek motherboard has a clear marking showing which side is +5V, so you should use that to figure out how to plug your cable on it.
Old 18 September 2017, 23:41   #5
arkpandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkpandora View Post
looking to
Wow! This is what happens when you have no gift for languages despite 30 years of writing in English...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The Gotek motherboard has a clear marking showing which side is +5V, so you should use that to figure out how to plug your cable on it.
Thank you! But my device is an HxC, not a Gotek, and it is a cased one, so I can't see its motherboard, and there's no marking visible from the outside, but the 5V side is shown on Lotharek's site, and in the manual even though it is illustrated by the uncased version whose layout is not identical. So my question was just about the cable.