English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 January 2002, 00:49   #1
Andrew

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew
Whats your favourite Joystick?

Just saw the other thread about joysticks so I thought I'd ask everyone what their fave joystick is/was. Mine is definately the ZipStick

Thanks
Old 11 January 2002, 01:05   #2
Jim

The Bug.

Cheetah made it I think. Great for Sensi Soccer.

Old 11 January 2002, 03:05   #3
Malc
Zone Friend

W/O a doubt - the Zip Stick
Old 11 January 2002, 08:44   #4
RetroMan

Competition Pro with Autofire and Slowmotion
Old 11 January 2002, 12:04   #5
Paul
RIP Friends

My favourite game controller was the Cheetah BolliStick which I used for my Amiga and also my Master System II.

Tried to find a picture of it on Google, but wasn't anything about it, so I put it in the scanner and it actually worked!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolstic.jpg
Views:	948
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	1599  
Old 11 January 2002, 15:59   #6
oldpx

(deleted and reposted to attach the image)

At first, I used two Sega Master System Control Pads, after I broke both of them I used a couple of Sega Mega Drive Control Pads and after they were dead I started using that quickshot pythons but nothing gets close to an SMS pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ms_jpypad.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1601  

Old 11 January 2002, 20:02   #7
Andrew

I remember the Amiga Format coverdisk that had Hired Guns on it told you how to tinker around with a Sega Mega Drive games controller and adapt it to the game. Wonder if anyone tried it?
Old 11 January 2002, 21:01   #8
Bloodwych

I loved the Konix Speedking (autofire version, or you'd get cramp) although if you're left handed they are pretty useless.

My favs however are the chunky desk joysticks like the Cruiser or Competition Pro.
Old 11 January 2002, 22:46   #9
MethodGit

Back when I first played on my C64 I only had joysticks to use with the games, and remember this old black joystick model with two buttons, one on the top of the stick and the familiar trigger. I think I used to use only one button the first time round (the top one), and then later I discovered the trigger underneath it!

Hey, I was only young! :laugh Like, what, 5 or 6 years old or something?

But when the joystick (and possibly a few others we also bought) broke, I was left without a joystick to play around with.

I later noticed that the joypads for my Sega Mega Drive (which was fairly brand new at the time, having bought it from the Future Entertainment Show '92 in Earl's Court ) had the same port layout and look as traditional C64 and Amiga joystick ports, so one time, when I was playing Wild West Seymour, I plugged the Mega Drive pad in the normal port and, lo and behold, it actually WORKED! I felt very happy, I just discovered something by myself! No help from anyone, oh joy, joy, joy! etc. I worked out that "B" was the fire button, as was with Amiga later on.

(A bit of a stark contrast now compared to my Sidewinder joypad, which, when used with WinUAE, now treats "A" as the fire button!

I can't remember if I used a joystick on my Amiga before the Mega Drive incident, but I do remember receiving a yellow-and-black joystick with two buttons on the front (I think) which I didn't use much with my Amiga because by then I had become too used to using a joypad in order to be any good with a joystick any more! For some reason using a joypad feels more comfortable.
Old 12 January 2002, 14:40   #10
Andrew

Zipstick

MarzAttakz, that black and yellow joystick is the zipstick. Thats interesting about the megadrive pad. If I can find one for sale, I think i might modify it to run on Hired Guns (there was a tutorial on an Amiga Format coverdisk telling you how to do this)
Old 12 January 2002, 14:53   #11
oldpx

I just remembered that the secondary button of SMS pad worked exactly like RMB/secondary joystick button with amiga. One of the buttons on Mega Drive Pad worked the same but I'm not sure which one.

Old 12 January 2002, 15:15   #12
MethodGit

@Burseg: I'm sure it was "C" that acted as the 2nd joystick button on some games.
Old 12 January 2002, 15:50   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

I had different sticks for different games. I used a Python 1M for flight sims etc.. The cheetah Bug for action games and a Competition Pro CD32 Pad for slower games, and games which used the pad!!
Old 12 January 2002, 20:26   #14
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I am pretty sure you can use both SMS and Mega-Drive joypads with your Amiga as a 2-button joystick, and with the Mega-Drive pads, you use B as the 1st button and C as the 2nd button.

Electronic Arts claimed you could plug a Mega-Drive pad in the amiga port, and play Desert Strike and Fifa with the same controls as the Mega-Drive versions, but that's bullshit, you use just B and C

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same case with Hired Guns (I can't remember now if it used 2 buttons or not)
Old 12 January 2002, 20:42   #15
Bloodwych

Looking through my wardrobe of nostalgia I found 2 interesting joysticks.

1) Magnum by Mastertronic

This really is a kick ass design. It's also from the same era as a top-rated P.I show involving a Ferrari, so the name is cool.

It still works today (those old solid builds and metal micro switches again! ) and is unbelievable comfortable to use. The stick is really responsive and of good quality.

Wish I had a picture but can't find one anywhere and I don't have any image tools.

With an autofire this joystick would rock, as the thumb trigger is a little hard to hammer fast for shoot-em-ups.

The biggest plus about this stick is you don't get cramp from those long gaming sessions - fantastic!

2) Original Vic-20 Joystick. The biggest pile of non-micro-switched junk I've every had the misfortune of using - enough said. :kill

You know what guys, I think we need a joystick poll to follow this thread up. Come on, let's have some more entries. :smoking
Old 12 January 2002, 21:55   #16
Andrew

Yep!

Yeah I agree. Someone who knows all the top joysticks back then should start one up.
Old 26 January 2002, 01:31   #17
Djay
95th User

ZipStick
-it had enclosed microswitches, other joysticks seemed to break too easy...

also like the ascii pad (for megadrive/genesis 2), very flat design with a strong die-cast feel to it! Althou, i had to ripp out the MODE button, if you pressed it while connected to the Amiga, it kinda killed the pad!

I still have the ZipStick!
Old 10 February 2002, 17:45   #18
fodder

i always preferred pads, but i had some good times with the zipstick.

tended to use my old megadrive pad... but as Shatterhand said above, only two of the buttons (max) would work, in any game.

Old 11 February 2002, 03:01   #19
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Big grin Joyboard

This is the best for me home made, and the keyboard keyset I like, but in joystick form

UPDATED!

Last edited by stainy; 28 December 2008 at 10:06.
Old 11 February 2002, 04:29   #20
Nian

The best Joystick was...

The best joystick for the amiga was an australian make called the StarCursor, It was a heavy duty joystick designed for the serious arcade game player, it has thick black heavy duty plastic for the stick and base, arcade style buttons one on the top of the stick and 2 at the base. This joystick has the 2 button crontrol and came with a 3 year warranty. If I find a scanner i will scan a picture of one.

// Amigaboy says - No need to scan it. Here it is :